Aren't Vaccines a Game-Changer?

Jimmcdaniel

2 hours ago, ysolde said:

Now that I think about it, do you think I could request shakshuka for breakfast on Regent?  Or will they not know what that is?  

You never know. Doesn’t hurt to ask. However, if they can, they might need time to gather all ingredients. Always better to give 24 hour notice for something special. If they don’t understand, explain it to them. If you have a butler, they can resolve almost everything. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 4:19 PM, Chunky2219 said:

Try this for a little thought excercise.................  Whatever your view about how the Covid versus vaccine dynamic might pan out in your own corner of the world, begin by recognising that no vaccine ever works 100% of the time for 100% of people - the best you can hope for is a high percentage of people avoiding the very worst effects of a disease.  Now assume that it is dramatically different in half a dozen other countries where:

• a new variant has just sprung up a month ago, or
  • vaccine uptake is poor or patchy because of political/philospohical/theological or just plain stupid reasoning, or
  • vaccines work great but some people, some countries, some groups won't use or don't trust vaccine passports, or
  • vaccine uptake has been awesome but after 2, 3, 4 or more waves they now don't trust many other countries and don't want their citizens, plus
  • one of these countries is on your cruise itinerary, or
  • someone from one of these countries is on your ship, or
  • someone from one of these countries was on your flight to your cruise start point

Now factor in that a cruise ship is an almost perfect breeding ground for the virus, like a big prison where people can mix freely 24/7.  Now think about the typical demographic of most cruise ships with respect to succeptibility to serious effects.  (it's not positive).

Once you've got this far, now imagine you are a cruise ship operator planning 3 years in advance normally and maybe 3 months in advance now.  All this while trying to make at least a break even position out of it all.  It's a high sunk capital cost, rapid revenue turnover and highly inflexible business.

I personally can't think of a more difficult industry in which to keep operating.  Unless and until Covid 19 naturally dies back to be as threatening as the common cold it's not going to be sustainable.  Sadly, vaccines won't change the game.

Well Said and well thought out!👏I agree

Of course, the answer to the thought exercise posed by MCOgirl is that those who are still worried after vaccination, should just stay home.

Having said that, I do think the CDC will be cautious about the resumption of cruising.  I think they like being in control of people's lives, and they have pretty much lost control over our activities in the U.S.  Essentially all governors, even in the blue states, are opening up their states to travel and hospitality, to schools, to sporting events, etc.  Cruising seems to be the one place where the CDC can control our lives.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

And for international travelers: 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

Still have to have a negative test to get back into the country.

Interestingly enough, that requirement specifically says for air passengers. It does not address land or sea arrivals.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BBWC said:

The Philippines, and other Asian countries, are administering the Sinovac vaccine, which is not on the NCLH list.

Some European countries are considering the use of the Sputnik-V vaccine; also not on the list.