Aren't Vaccines a Game-Changer?

Jimmcdaniel

8 hours ago, mariners said:

Wow!  This thread is definitely enlightening!  

For those of you who are mask burning, I presume that you will spend your time around others whom have chosen to burn their masks, or where masks are not required.  However, that rules out much of the world in terms of travel.  It certainly rules out coming to Canada, and our borders will stay closed and, even when they open, travellers will have to follow the rules that are in place here, not the rules you wish were in place.

Perhaps, those of you who choose to burn your masks, and are looking for an immediate return to cruising  where the ship is the destination can convince Regent to designate a ship for that purpose and passengers.  

I, for one, will not be joining you.  Our statistics here confirm that following protocols currently in place are working; we (almost all individuals) wear masks, we distance, etc., 

I will not be boarding any ship in the near future.  It appears that changing cruises from 2021 to 2022, and considering other cruises for 2022, and 2023 will work for me.  

Wishing all of you who cruise before that time a wonderful cruise with others who share your philosophy; however, that being said, please be mindful of the crew, and other individuals working on the ship or living in the countries you visit. For so many of them, their main concern is having an income, and that dictates the choice(s) they must make.  

I, for one, will be sailing as soon as the ships hit the water. I have had my vaccines, will still wear my mask and yearn for the Regent luxury!

• Like 5

21 hours ago, mariners said:

Wow!  This thread is definitely enlightening!  

For those of you who are mask burning, I presume that you will spend your time around others whom have chosen to burn their masks, or where masks are not required.  However, that rules out much of the world in terms of travel.  It certainly rules out coming to Canada, and our borders will stay closed and, even when they open, travellers will have to follow the rules that are in place here, not the rules you wish were in place.

Perhaps, those of you who choose to burn your masks, and are looking for an immediate return to cruising  where the ship is the destination can convince Regent to designate a ship for that purpose and passengers.  

I, for one, will not be joining you.  Our statistics here confirm that following protocols currently in place are working; we (almost all individuals) wear masks, we distance, etc., 

I will not be boarding any ship in the near future.  It appears that changing cruises from 2021 to 2022, and considering other cruises for 2022, and 2023 will work for me.  

Wishing all of you who cruise before that time a wonderful cruise with others who share your philosophy; however, that being said, please be mindful of the crew, and other individuals working on the ship or living in the countries you visit. For so many of them, their main concern is having an income, and that dictates the choice(s) they must make.  

During difficult times, it can be a good idea to just have a laugh.  No one on this board wants harm to come to anybody - fellow passengers or crew.  Lighten up and take the mask burning comments as letting off steam (smoke.)

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

O.K.  Everyone--

This Thread has veered way away from intended purpose.  Let's recalibrate and maintain civility.  

GOARMY!

P.S.  Spouse and I have now received our first vaccination shots; second ones scheduled for later this month.  Anticipate when we finally-finally board (hopefully late October aboard Mariner at Barcelona) a record including receiving a "booster" shot will be one of the requirements. 

Oh...okay....

Speaking of jabs/shots - we go for #2 tomorrow.  That will complete our "Get out of Jail FREE" card!  :-)

• Like 1

GOARMY, typically, I don't comment on most threads as I would like to stay away from any discussions that appear to be political.  In this day and age, it seems that politics has become part of every discussion including on CC.  

I responded to this thread because the title is "Aren't Vaccines  a Game-Changer?"   My response, that might not have been clearly stated for those people who don't know me,  is that a vaccine is only a "Game-Changer" for those individuals who have received the vaccine  

I believe that I have information regarding Canadian policies/vaccination rates/etc.  that would be beneficial to provide to other posters.  For me, hearing from people who live in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Asia, etc. has helped me to make decisions regarding future cruises.  It's also helped me plan for pre and post cruises.  

One of the issues with message boards is that we often don't "know" each other.  We have to trust that what people write is what they actually believe.   We have to interpret information, if we haven't met an individual,  based on current posts as well as previous posts made on this board.  

I (we) have met so many wonderful individuals whom we first connected with on CC.  We continue to plan to sail with them in the future.  (Wendy, I hope that we will get to meet again.)

As I initially stated, vaccines can only be a "Game-Changer" for those people who receive the vaccine.   

And no, for those people who don't agree with my posts, I don't have a sense of humour when it comes to COVID.  I will, however, burn my bra, but that's because someone with a sick sense of humour created them in the first place.  :)  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

At my annual physical today, I discussed masks/vaccines with my doctor. His view is that if everyone; crew and passengers, have been fully vaccinated, there is absolutely no reason anyone onboard would need to wear a mask. If you go ashore, it would probably be best to wear a mask primarily to show empathy for the population in the port that may not have been vaccinated yet.

You are not going to get covid and you are not going to transmit it.

CDC wants vaccinated people to wear masks so that anti-maskers don't have the out of just saying "I'm vaccinated so I'm not wearing a mask". All his words, not mine.

Seems logical and reasonable.

Looking forward to our maskless cruise in October on the Voyager.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Maybe we can also burn our bras 😉. You can join me along with others that have a sense of humor.

I really wish I could. I never wore a bra until I was 30. But at 65, a bra is a necessity, and way too expensive to burn. I do, however, still sleep naked. But don't tell anyone 😉.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, mariners said:

I (we) have met so many wonderful individuals whom we first connected with on CC.  We continue to plan to sail with them in the future.  (Wendy, I hope that we will get to meet again.)

As I initially stated, vaccines can only be a "Game-Changer" for those people who receive the vaccine.   

And no, for those people who don't agree with my posts, I don't have a sense of humour when it comes to COVID.  I will, however, burn my bra, but that's because someone with a sick sense of humour created them in the first place.  🙂  

Thanks for your thoughtful, intelligent reply.  Totally agree.  And yes, wow, I'm surprised we haven't crossed paths again since, what, 2009?  

Oh, and I suspect that COVID has spelled the end of the bra!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Even if I forfeited my card, there is also on online system; not so easy to hack.

I think you meant "forge."

Yes. Forge. Sorry. I hope there is a system because only speaking about New York system, it’s piecemeal. It would be a miracle if there is a federal tracking system. State administered, city administered, hospital system administered, retail stores administered. 

51 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

I really wish I could. I never wore a bra until I was 30. But at 65, a bra is a necessity, and way too expensive to burn. I do, however, still sleep naked. But don't tell anyone 😉.

You have a sense of humor. Something we all need right now. I cannot wait until the day I can burn my mask and toss the bra in the fire with it. I will wear my mask until told we are safe without it. However, that barbecued bra day with chilled wine and the feeling of freedom after 14 days to slow the spread a year later is something I will relish. Cheers!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

RCL to begin fully vaccinated cruise.

Good to see another cruise line making tentative steps towards resumption but, for RCL at this time, only Israeli residents can book these new itineraries scheduled for May onwards.

21 hours ago, mrlevin said:

"Those with three homes should not cast stones." 😉

If you saw two of my homes you might not say that.  By Texas standards, they're pretty well dumps, and small ones at that.  David called our cottage a "dump" last week--all 600 square feet of it, albeit on 180 feet frontage on a cliff over the majestic Ottawa River.  Our little place in Dunedin is not huge or luxurious either (and completely uninhabited, this winter.)  Our condo here in Toronto is not large either, although we think of it as fairly luxurious compared to the other two. 

I know, I know, it's seriously weird to have three homes.  But this spring I'll be so happy to get up to the dumpy little cottage, get the pump going, clean out the mouse droppings, rake the leaves, and breathe in that wonderful fresh air.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Live in Northern California.

We were supposed to get our 2nd shots tomorrow but just got an email cancelling the appointments.

Seems NO new shipment of vaccine has arrived & they will 'get back to us ' !

BUMMER !

It’s a while since I posted here to say I was participating in the Johnson & Johnson trial in the U.K. I found out today that I had been given the vaccine, not just saline solution. I am so buzzed up about it! 
In the U.K. the J&J vaccine is a 2 jab process. After the 1st jab I was sure I had been given saline as I had no side effects. After jab 2 it was different. 12 hours later I felt shivery, muscle pains and a headache. But that was very short lived. When I woke up next morning I felt normal.

We have 3 cruises booked now, but not until September 2022.

Good luck with getting your jabs and let’s hope we can enjoy our cruises mask free.

Libby 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Kristal Blade said:

It’s a while since I posted here to say I was participating in the Johnson & Johnson trial in the U.K. I found out today that I had been given the vaccine, not just saline solution. I am so buzzed up about it! 
In the U.K. the J&J vaccine is a 2 jab process. After the 1st jab I was sure I had been given saline as I had no side effects. After jab 2 it was different. 12 hours later I felt shivery, muscle pains and a headache. But that was very short lived. When I woke up next morning I felt normal.

Good luck with getting your jabs and let’s hope we can enjoy our cruises mask free.

Libby 

Thank you for agreeing to take part in the clinical trials.  I, for one, don't often think about those who take that risk.  Glad you are well and protected.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

I saw that.  It is worth the effort?  Is it hard?  On the other hand, maybe I could just laminate the card?

It's not hard to register.  The instructions are easy. 

The hard part comes when you want to go in to look at your account again.  The site comes up to register.  It also has a line Already have an account where you put in the IIS record number that they give you. and they'll send a code to your phone.  No matter how many times I tried, that code never came to my phone.  When I tried Register, all of our info came up, I received a code and all is well.

Worth it?  I don't know, but at least I have a place to go that shows that I received the first shot.  When it is time for the second shot, I'm supposed to get a text as a reminder.

22 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

Libby 

The masks are never going away...

• Like 1