Aren't Vaccines a Game-Changer?

Jimmcdaniel

On 2/11/2021 at 6:21 PM, SWFLAOK said:

I will feel much safer on cruise ships and airlines in the future if they screen people and remove those that are sick. They should never have been onboard, and if diagnosed with a contagious illness

after boarding, they should always have been removed or restricted to their cabin. Allowing people to remain onboard after they have been diagnosed by the shipboard doctor with a contagious disease, such as viral pneumonia, isn't a good idea. Allowing them to leave their cabin and eat in Compass Rose, should never be allowed, but it was on our cruise last January. 

Mostly agree, Temperature checks will probably be the norm embarking and disembarking and entering an eating venue - If you have a fever you would be tested and sent to your cabin if you have the flu or covid.  I think given the length of the cruises a doctor on board and a small bed facility might be added, so someone can recover in a couple days without having to be airlifted.  Lots of options.

Vaccines will never prevent sickness like covid and the flu, due to the variations and mutations.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Vaccines will never prevent sickness like covid and the flu, due to the variations and mutations.  

Never??  Really??  Perhaps you meant to say never prevent 100 pct of sickness associated with COVID or flu,. If not, your statement is absurd.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

Never??  Really??  Perhaps you meant to say never prevent 100 pct of sickness associated with COVID or flu,. If not, your statement is absurd.

I agree with you wcsdkqh. Vaccines have already done that really well for viruses. How about the smallpox vaccine? It was developed in the late 1700's, and smallpox has been eliminated.

Vaccines will never prevent 100 percent of sickness associated with any virus or bacteria, because a small percentage of the population doesn't have a good enough immune system to react to the vaccine and prevent an infection in the future. In the past, those people didn't survive. Now we can sometines keep them alive to be infected again.

8 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Temperature checks will probably be the norm embarking and disembarking and entering an eating venue - If you have a fever you would be tested and sent to your cabin if you have the flu or covid.  I think given the length of the cruises a doctor on board and a small bed facility might be added

On our cruise from Singapore to Singapore to Sydney, temperature checks were done when we got off the plane in Singapore, as well as disembarking in many ports on the first cruise. It was also checked before we reembarked in Singapore after taking a day excursion between cruises. From Singapore to Sydney, no temps were taken.

We have never been on a cruise that did not have a doctor and medical facility onboard. And we've been on some pretty small cruise ships. On our last Regent cruise, people were lined up every morning at the medical facility to have renal dialysis.  We heard some of them complaining at breakfast that it took too long and should have a more extensive facility. That sounds like a good idea if they're paying for it.

On the Regent website, they say that they have added a Health Officer onboard, as well as testing facilities for Covid 19, and isolation units should it be required. I feel comfortable with what they've added, such as the hospital grade HEPA filters. But we always have 2 types of insurance coverage to be airlifted, because at least one of them will find a way to tell you that you're not covered. I'm still more worried about being bitten by a shark than anything else.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

Yes never prevent 100% but more to indicate it will not eradicate covid of flu as they mutate too fast for the vaccines to keep up.  (some) peoples immune systems are better at keeping up.

On 2/8/2021 at 11:49 AM, Dolebludger said:

I agree with those here who say that international restrictions may remain a probem after vacinations are common in the USA. Even if vaccination proof is required for all guests, this may not be sufficient for foriegn authorities. After all, the CDC says that a vacccinated person can still pass the virus to others. And if the others are not vaccinated, its a problem. So "cruises to nowhere" may be posible before long, visiting ports may not.

I believe that the CDC is saying that the data are not clear as to whether vaccinated persons may be able to transmit the virus if infected, not that they can Therefore continued wearing of masks is recommended

4 hours ago, tipsygirl said:

I believe that the CDC is saying that the data are not clear as to whether vaccinated persons may be able to transmit the virus if infected, not that they can Therefore continued wearing of masks is recommended

Yes. It’s only until full herd immunity be reached will the wearing of masks not be recommended. 

2 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Yes. It’s only until full herd immunity be reached will the wearing of masks not be recommended. 

What does "full herd immunity mean?"  I am having a mask burning party pretty darn soon.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:
7 hours ago, tipsygirl said:

Unfortunately for those in the "it will never get better, we must wear masks forever" camp, including Dr. Fauci and the CDC, there are actually some very hopeful signs and studies that factually say "well, yes, it may really get better in our lifetimes"...

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/22291959/covid-vaccines-transmission-protect-spread-virus-moderna-pfizer

In summary, the vaccines reduce the chance of getting the virus by up to 95%, and if you are in the 5% that does still get it, your likelihood of transmitting it to others goes way down, by potentially 85 - 89% according to early study results. Doing the math, a vaccinated individual has about a 1% chance of getting and transmitting the disease to others. I like those odds and see no reason that fully vaccinated people will need to wear masks much longer. And, yes, further studies are required, but I look forward to cruises requiring vaccinations and NOT requiring masks, hopefully sooner than later.

• Like 9

It'll be a while before we can burn our masks, even after vaccination (which must wait until April/May for us.)  We were hoping for 'dancing in the streets' by June of this year, but this may have to be done in September.  But when it comes, it will be like Armistice Day after WWI, or like after the 1918 Spanish Flu.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, labonnevie said:

the vaccines reduce the chance of getting the virus by up to 95%, and if you are in the 5% that does still get it, your likelihood of transmitting it to others goes way down, by potentially 85 - 89% according to early study results. Doing the math, a vaccinated individual has about a 1% chance of getting and transmitting the disease to others.

Actually, the vaccine reduces the CHANCE you will get the virus by 95%.  That does NOT mean that 5% of vaccinated people still get it.  Your chance of getting it also will decrease with the prevalence in the community, which will decrease as more people get vaccinated. 

According to Worldometer, the total number of cases in the US is 87,649 per million, which translates into an 8.8% chance of getting the virus in the past year.  Five percent of that would be an estimate of your chance of getting it with another year like 2020, or 0.44%, not 5%.  If many others are also vaccinated, the overall incidence will be a lot less, and reduce the chance to much less than 0.44%. 

The chance of both getting the virus and transmitting it, using your numbers, would then be about 0.05%, assuming that the overall incidence rate is the same as in 2020.  With the expected lower incidence, that number will be even less.  This is called herd immunity, and that is what will save us from this nightmare.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

The chance of both getting the virus and transmitting it, using your numbers, would then be about 0.05%, assuming that the overall incidence rate is the same as in 2020.  With the expected lower incidence, that number will be even less.  This is called herd immunity, and that is what will save us from this nightmare.

I like your numbers even better... so why would I need to wear a mask after I am fully vaccinated?

1 hour ago, labonnevie said:

The chance of both getting the virus and transmitting it, using your numbers, would then be about 0.05%, assuming that the overall incidence rate is the same as in 2020.  With the expected lower incidence, that number will be even less. 

I support mandatory vaccines for crews and guests.

Let's all protect each other by getting vaccinated and cruising together!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, labonnevie said:

I like your numbers even better... so why would I need to wear a mask after I am fully vaccinated?

Because a lot of these numbers are pure surmise.  We have to wait a while to see how the vaccinations play out, then we can take off our masks.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Because a lot of these numbers are pure surmise.  We have to wait a while to see how the vaccinations play out, then we can take off our masks.

I'm having a mask burning party PDQ; probably by end of March.

19 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I'm having a mask burning party PDQ; probably by end of March.

Some face coverings could give off some nasty fumes when burnt ......................... probably safest to wear a mask during the conflagration 😷 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Wow!  This thread is definitely enlightening!  

For those of you who are mask burning, I presume that you will spend your time around others whom have chosen to burn their masks, or where masks are not required.  However, that rules out much of the world in terms of travel.  It certainly rules out coming to Canada, and our borders will stay closed and, even when they open, travellers will have to follow the rules that are in place here, not the rules you wish were in place.

Perhaps, those of you who choose to burn your masks, and are looking for an immediate return to cruising  where the ship is the destination can convince Regent to designate a ship for that purpose and passengers.  

I, for one, will not be joining you.  Our statistics here confirm that following protocols currently in place are working; we (almost all individuals) wear masks, we distance, etc., 

I will not be boarding any ship in the near future.  It appears that changing cruises from 2021 to 2022, and considering other cruises for 2022, and 2023 will work for me.  

Wishing all of you who cruise before that time a wonderful cruise with others who share your philosophy; however, that being said, please be mindful of the crew, and other individuals working on the ship or living in the countries you visit. For so many of them, their main concern is having an income, and that dictates the choice(s) they must make.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I didn't see anyone saying they would refuse to follow whatever policy is in effect when ships finally sail....just that they are looking forward to getting rid of masks in general. I am sure we all are.

I suspect we will be cruising in some form before too long - stock prices are rising across the board and the cruise lines will definitely be requiring vaccines for crew and almost definitely for passengers as well. At that point, the likelihood of having a very serious case of COVID becomes extremely low. 

If this is within your personal tolerances, we look forward to seeing you soon. If not, we will see you in a few years.

• Like 7

Pcardad, I cannot wait to stop wearing masks, or having to follow other protocols necessary at this point in time. I also look forward to having the freedom to get together with other people both at home and when we travel.  My "personal tolerances" really don't matter in the "big picture" as, for me, I will follow whatever guidelines/rules/etc. are outlined/required when I make the decision to cruise, or travel, or have people over to my home ...

I believe there are other individuals ready to sail as soon as possible.  For those individuals, I understand why they are prepared to get on a ship sooner rather than later.  That being said, many/most countries where the ships might sail are not prepared to have tourists/cruise ships at this point in time.  When individuals/groups discuss "burning masks", I assume that they are making a choice that works where they live.  It does not work where I live.

As long as my health allows, I will be sailing somewhere in the future.  I look forward to meeting you.  All the best.    Safe travels. 

• Like 2