New COVID variants - how will it impact cruises

GICNJC

With different varieties, with unknown effectiveness,  will this cause the CDC to delay cruise test regulations, or worst yet cut short because a passenger testing postive when we get back to sailing?  Your thoughts?

Not concerned about the CDC. Just another excuse for Fauci to keep everything slammed shut. Doubt the variations will affect his negative position in any way. 

As the CEO aid Carnival Cruises said “ the US will probably be the last to reopen.” 

Edited by pinotlover

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Not concerned about the CDC. Just another excuse for Fauci to keep everything slammed shut. Doubt the variations will affect his negative position in any way. 

Have you been listening to or reading his comments, since Jan. 20? Downright perky.

As the CEO aid Carnival Cruises said “ the US will probably be the last to reopen.” 

Using the FDA as an example we're almost always or dang frequently the last one to approve a drug. So I wouldn't expect less on cruising. And the bad press was HUGE. I don't know a soul who doesn't think that.

As it should be given that the US has had by far the largest number of COVID cases per 100K population of any country from which cruises originate. Sort this table by cases per 100K and you'll see the data:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-maps-and-cases/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, njhorseman said:

As it should be given that the US has had by far the largest number of COVID cases per 100K population of any country from which cruises originate. Sort this table by cases per 100K and you'll see the data:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020/health/coronavirus-maps-and-cases/

WHO reports China has less Covid cases to date then Kenya?  total rubbish    

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Why are you quoting me ? I didn't say anything about China or Kenya . The data I cited are cases per 100K population, not total, and are are from Johns Hopkins University.

2 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Why are you quoting me ? I didn't say anything about China or Kenya . The data I cited are cases per 100K population, not total, and are are from Johns Hopkins University.

I think the more accurate way of reporting these numbers is to say the US has REPORTED more cases per 100K than any other country where cruises originate.

There is a significant difference between what was reported and what in fact has occurred.  The people of the State of New York are now learning this difference the hard way.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I think the more accurate way of reporting these numbers is to say the US has REPORTED more cases per 100K than any other country where cruises originate.

There is a significant difference between what was reported and what in fact has occurred.  The people of the State of New York are now learning this difference the hard way.

And I'm sure there are other possibly inaccurate reports from almost everywhere so I'm not sure your suggestion buys anything. Since the overwhelming majority of cruises commence in developed countries with substantial healthcare infrastructure and stable governments, as a mathematician I think it's reasonable to assume that any reporting inaccuracies are going to be insignificant when comparing one country's data to others.

I used to have a mantra  at work,  "Bad data is our business, our only business." (My apologies to Gerber for basing it on their trademark slogan.)