New to Regent, what about tips for the staff?

We have just booked our first cruise on Regent, for August 2022.

I see that Regent does not charge for gratuities, but do passenger tip?    We have sailed Holland America often and we tip selected staff members based on our experience with them while in the cruise.   Are those kinds of tips common on Regent? 

14 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Gratuities are included in your fare. However, there are occasions that a crew member, waiter, butler will excel and make your journey even better than expected.. We always express our gratitude and give an additional amount.

DON'T do it; DON"T give additional tips!!!!  Even the spa 18% tip already included in price.  

• Like 3

Respectfully, there are times if the client's need is great and we cannot fulfil it that we do express gratitude for extreme accommodation.

Many people are against it. If you choose to tip, please do so discretely as employees are discouraged from excepting them and told to share them if the guest insists.

"Leanstostarboard" - I just spotted the title of your post and thought that I had suddenly been "teleported back into a bad dream"!  I see that this will be your first Regent cruise (congratulations - you'll love it), and that you probably haven't yet gotten a lot of "Regent board time" under your belt .  Thanks for joining us!

If you do a historical search of posts (going back years) related to "tipping on Regent"....you'll see that most  past discussions on that topic have been akin to "giving birth to an elephant", as well as lasting for weeks on end!  I had hoped we had finally put that topic to rest!  😬  But I guess, with each new "generation" of Regent cruisers, it will still "pop up", from time to time.

Both Mr Levin's, Bellagio's, and Pcardad's comments and thoughts on the subject are all actually correct.....By Regent's stated policy, it is not expected and not required.  Gratuities are "built into" Regent's fare structure and the staff seems to be quite happy to be working for Regent at their pre-agreed upon wages.  It is also not unheard of (nor "forbidden") that some cruisers do it (hopefully, in a very low-key, "under the radar", and non-flamboyant fashion - and certainly not "out in the open"), and thirdly, a donation to the the crew's welfare fund is also a very acceptable and laudable alternative way to positively recognize the fantastic service you will have received from all crew members, while on your cruise.  Best Regards.

• Like 4

This subject is fraught, and much debated over the 20 years we've been sailing on Regent and it's former incarnation, Radisson.

I agree--tips are included and not expected.  If you feel the need, a donation to the crew welfare fund helps *all* the crew, including those working hard for you behind the scenes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leanstostarboard said:

We have just booked our first cruise on Regent, for August 2022.

I see that Regent does not charge for gratuities, but do passenger tip?    We have sailed Holland America often and we tip selected staff members based on our experience with them while in the cruise.   Are those kinds of tips common on Regent? 

Thanks for asking this.  We have also booked our first Regent cruise and I have been scouring the boards for all sorts of information including this subject.  I now have the answer(s).  Thanks again!  I do hope we both get to enjoy cruising with Regent in the not too distant future.

FYI - the "crew welfare fund" goes to supporting the 2 week rotation that departments have responsibility for parties/food/entertainment stuff in the crew bar. It does not, contrary to past opinion, go into a slush fund for helping broke crew in a bind. I have personally confirmed this with multiple high ranking staff but you should ask yourself.

• Like 2

Also goes to paying for excursions for crew (about 200 went to Great Wall when we were last in China) and also things like bicycles for crew to use in port.  We have "won" some wonderful experiences when they have an auction to support the Crew Welfare Fund during longer trips.

Edited by mrlevin

There is a lengthy thread from January 2020 about tipping: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2723573-regent-clarifies-no-tipping-policy/?tab=comments#comment-59116814

Other threads can also be found via search.  I think the link above fairly well reflects everyone's views and understanding of tipping on Regent.

• Like 1

leanstostarboard:

Not to worry. 

We long-time Radisson/Regent cruisers have more time on our hands than we would like due to COVID.  Toooo many cruises canceled.   (All May cruises just joined that List.)

Spouse and I have also sailed on several Holland America ships.  Tipping was the Norm.  

Back in the day, I weighed in on this topic--along with about 100 other Posters.  That particular "Thread"  went on long enough to weave an ankle-length coat.  Exhaustion was the primary cause for moving on to something else.  Or, maybe it was the Cruise Critic Monitor who finally called:  "Enough!"

Another First World "problem".   Hope springs eternal for another visit to Mariner in late 2021; and again at Tokyo in April, 2022.  

Stay safe.

GOARMY!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Also goes to paying for excursions for crew (about 200 went to Great Wall when we were last in China) and also things like bicycles for crew to use in port.  We have "won" some wonderful experiences when they have an auction to support the Crew Welfare Fund during longer trips.

The White Elephant auction occurs once per year per ship and is a very special occasion.

8 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Gratuities are included in your fare. However, there are occasions that a crew member, waiter, butler will excel and make your journey even better than expected.. We always express our gratitude and give an additional amount.

Well we haven't seem this for awhile😇!  I agree with you 100% no matter what anyone else thinks about the subject.

Grandmaanne7:

Great question!  

Shore Excursion personnel are, almost-exclusively, independent contractors.  These include the Tour Guide and Bus/Van Driver.  Regent has a Contract with these providers to perform a certain Level of Service for whatever Tour.  It could be a simple two-hour guided City Walk-about to a seven or eight hour extended Tour.  (Or, from St. Petersburg to Moscow; and return on the same day.  Been there--done that.)  

As to "expected"--Not so sure.  As to "acceptable", Yes.  As to "appreciated" for a job well-done, Yes.  Spouse and I have always made it a point to properly provide BOTH the Tour Guide AND the Bus/Van Driver with a monetary amount.  I hesitate to provide more specifics, as this will no-doubt, prompt another "Feeding the Weed" for continuing this Thread.   Suffice to say:  Considering the Thousands of Dollars expended to get us on a Regent ship, a paltry sum of from $5.00 to $10.00 for both the Guide and Driver (dependent on length of the Tour) for a job-well-done is a pittance.

There has been a rare occasion where the Guide failed to meet the expected standard.  One experience--at Helsinki in August, 2019--was so-bad we advised the Guide we were leaving mid-way.  Found a cab and were delivered (thankfully) back to Explorer.  Turned-out from listening at a Lounge later that evening several other "fellow travelers" on that tour had done the same thing.  This experience was specifically explained in follow-up Evaluations.  (See below.)

One other point which is a standard regardless of whatever Cruise Line one is on:  We have taken special care to complete both mid and final Cruise Evaluation(s).  We provide specific names of Crew from Suite Attendants/Butlers; to Dining Staff; to Management with whom we have interacted; to Deck Hands I have encountered while running (jogging) uncounted numbers of laps in the early morning.  These gentlemen have, courteously, advised me to "be careful, Sir" to avoid hazards.  I have made it a point to ask for their names. 

So far, so-good from this former Marathoner as to a slip or fall.  

Last:  I will defer further comments on this subject to Pcardad.  He has a unique perspective which is valued by us CC devotees.  

GOARMY!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

Grandmaanne7:

Great question!  

Shore Excursion personnel are, almost-exclusively, independent contractors.  These include the Tour Guide and Bus/Van Driver.  Regent has a Contract with these providers to perform a certain Level of Service for whatever Tour.  It could be a simple two-hour guided City Walk-about to a seven or eight hour extended Tour.  (Or, from St. Petersburg to Moscow; and return on the same day.  Been there--done that.)  

As to "expected"--Not so sure.  As to "acceptable", Yes.  As to "appreciated" for a job well-done, Yes.  Spouse and I have always made it a point to properly provide BOTH the Tour Guide AND the Bus/Van Driver with a monetary amount.  I hesitate to provide more specifics, as this will no-doubt, prompt another "Feeding the Weed" for continuing this Thread.   Suffice to say:  Considering the Thousands of Dollars expended to get us on a Regent ship, a paltry sum of from $5.00 to $10.00 for both the Guide and Driver (dependent on length of the Tour) for a job-well-done is a pittance.

There has been a rare occasion where the Guide failed to meet the expected standard.  One experience--at Helsinki in August, 2019--was so-bad we advised the Guide we were leaving mid-way.  Found a cab and were delivered (thankfully) back to Explorer.  Turned-out from listening at a Lounge later that evening several other "fellow travelers" on that tour had done the same thing.  This experience was specifically explained in follow-up Evaluations.  (See below.)

One other point which is a standard regardless of whatever Cruise Line one is on:  We have taken special care to complete both mid and final Cruise Evaluation(s).  We provide specific names of Crew from Suite Attendants/Butlers; to Dining Staff; to Management with whom we have interacted; to Deck Hands I have encountered while running (jogging) uncounted numbers of laps in the early morning.  These gentlemen have, courteously, advised me to "be careful, Sir" to avoid hazards.  I have made it a point to ask for their names. 

So far, so-good from this former Marathoner as to a slip or fall.  

Last:  I will defer further comments on this subject to Pcardad.  He has a unique perspective which is valued by us CC devotees.  

GOARMY!

Thank you for this thoughtful and thorough response. We are quite comfortable tipping for good service including safe driving and tour guiding. We also try to report extra good service to crews' superiors and have often been thanked heartily by crew members who have been given extra time off or internet time to connect with family. It's very heartwarming. 

• Like 2

To reward crew members who are especially attentive or go above and beyond, it is very important to mention them by name in the mid-cruise comment card or at the end, this gives them recognition with their supervisors.  I remember one cruise that on the mid-cruise comment I noted a certain crew member by name and an example of her excellent service.  A couple of days later while we were eating lunch, her supervisor came up to our table, introduced himself and thanked us for the comments we had put on the comment card.  He said it would help him in promoting that crew member.

As for tipping on excursions, I have learned, I make sure before we leave the ship that I have $5 and $10 bills for the tipping.  After an small incident, I am now carrying at least 10 $1 bills.  While in Egypt on an excursion to the Valley of the Kings we were in a tomb and looking around and a local man would see what we are looking at and give us a name or such. We were being polite(naïve), and tried to get away from him and didn't think anything of this. As we went further in he continued with us giving us names etc of wall art etc.  It wasn't until we started out of the tomb that we realized he expected a tip for his comments. I didn't have anything for him.  The small bills I had were already allocated for tips for guide and driver.  He was mad and as we walked out of the tomb, threw a flashlight at us.  I now always keep 10 $1 bills, and will probably not be in this situation again.

I apologize to those who have seen this before, but I'm inclined to use it every time this topic comes up.  [Bi-annually?]

Regent Cruisers never Tip. 

But if they do Tip, they Tip for noble reasons. 

But if those reasons are ignoble they never Tip because they expect preferential treatment. 

But if they do expect preferential treatment, they don't get mad if everyone else gets that same exemplary treatment. 

But if the tipping is because your treatment was exemplary and you openly disregard Regent policy, 

You Tip in private; and in Bitcoin - so that your true identity is obscured from judgmental eyes. 

Edited by daetchief
I updated Euros to Bitcoin to be Akamai!