Riviera Penthouse Suite Selection

Host Jazzbeau

Looking at booking a Riviera Penthouse Suite and among the available cabins the most central locations are 11028 and 11031, both of which are opposite the Executive Lounge.  Does anybody know where the doors to the lounge are located?  Would that (or anything else) cause a noise problem in either of these cabins?

Edited to add:

Other possibilities would be 10026, 10031 or 10033 – away from pool deck noise but near the elevators. 

10031 is the only one of these five that doesn't have a sofabed – we are only 2 people, so would use it only for sitting.  Is the regular couch more comfortable for sitting than the sofabed?

Finally, I see that there is a huge overhand right above deck 11.  We actually look forward to a shady balcony, so this is a good thing.  Are the deck 10 balconies also shady?

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Riviera Penthouse Suite Selection

As I remember, entrance and exit from the Executive Lounge is available from both hallways. This further reduces noise from traffic.

We don’t remember much difference in the comfort of the sofa bed couch to the regular couch. I believe the sofa bed one might be slightly larger.

Of the three cabins mentioned, I’d chose 10026 on the port side.

The overhangs do provide a lot of shade on Deck 11. They also obstruct your view. That is the reason we go for Deck 10 PH.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Lounge doors click and don't swing shut like cabins doors do if you aren't careful.  The Deck 11 overhang does block your view a bit, especially if you like to take pictures from your balcony.  I would go Deck 10 as well if I couldn't get my favorite Deck 7 penthouses with the really large balcony and the 

nice loungers.

Riviera 7135 balcony.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yesterday I looked at a cruise for spring 2022 and was surprised several "extended" balcony cabins (did not look at the PHs) are available. The B4s were waitlisted. So either people are booking who prefer mid ship, book online themselves and don't know, book with O and the rep does not suggest those, or the $50 saving is meaningful. Maybe a lot of new-to-O folks who don't know these cabins and the faithful are holding back. Whatever the reason, I was surprised. I even saw some with Insides available. High end named suites all gone but otherwise scattered. Maybe for many folks 2022 dates are still too soon to put money down.

As for deck 11 penthouse, I was very disappointed with the view from the overhang. In almost ever picture unless pointed down and the water. Even in port the overhang  was obscuring the top third of the photo. On sea days I love sitting out on the verandah watching the sea and clouds and no such pleasure on that cruise. I believe they should be described and marketed as partially obstructed.

Certainly cruisingxpert's lovely deck 7 is excellent. (thanks for that photo. I want to go!) I would take that in a heartbeat if I could and then deck 10 and would likely book a regular verandah rather than deck 11 penthouse under the overhang. Others have posted here they did not find that overhang so intrusive so it is in the eye of the cabin beholder. Might be okay for you when weighing other choices and preferences. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

As for deck 11 penthouse, I was very disappointed with the view from the overhang. In almost ever picture unless pointed down and the water. Even in port the overhang  was obscuring the top third of the photo. On sea days I love sitting out on the verandah watching the sea and clouds and no such pleasure on that cruise. I believe they should be described and marketed as partially obstructed.

Certainly cruisingxpert's lovely deck 7 is excellent. (thanks for that photo. I want to go!) I would take that in a heartbeat if I could and then deck 10 and would likely book a regular verandah rather than deck 11 penthouse under the overhang. Others have posted here they did not find that overhang so intrusive so it is in the eye of the cabin beholder. Might be okay for you when weighing other choices and preferences. 

I really disliked the top deck S3 suites on Celebrity Edge because of the overhang there, so I am very grateful for the warning I received here.  Deck 10 it is!

5 hours ago, YoHoHo said:

If you like that picture wait til you come round the corner😃

Riviera 7135 aft side of balcony.jpg

Riviera 7130 aft  balcony.JPG

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

If you like that picture wait til you come round the corner😃

Now that downright is cruel 🙂

In a good way. 

The color from the sun's light setting is perfect in that second picture. 

The only thing missing is my glass of Quarantine Coffee

quarantine coffee.jpg

13 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

quarantine coffee.jpg

The problem with that drink [and with Gin & Tonics as mixed by bartenders] is that it starts out too strong and then as the ice melts it gets too weak.  I keep my Gin and my Tonic in the fridge so I don't need to use ice – mix it right, and it stays right from start to the 'last drop.'

So, while we're on the subject:  what brand of Tonic does Oceania stock?  The big fail on Azamara until recently was Royal Club, which is reputed by cognoscenti as the worst tonic in the world; thankfully they now use something acceptable like Seagrams.  But the gold standard is FeverTree.  Any hope for that on Oceania?

43 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The problem with that drink [and with Gin & Tonics as mixed by bartenders] is that it starts out too strong and then as the ice melts it gets too weak.  I keep my Gin and my Tonic in the fridge so I don't need to use ice – mix it right, and it stays right from start to the 'last drop.'

So, while we're on the subject:  what brand of Tonic does Oceania stock?  The big fail on Azamara until recently was Royal Club, which is reputed by cognoscenti as the worst tonic in the world; thankfully they now use something acceptable like Seagrams.  But the gold standard is FeverTree.  Any hope for that on Oceania?

No Fever Tree on Oceania in the past. Hopefully some day.

8 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

No Fever Tree on Oceania in the past. Hopefully some day.

Well, we board in Miami so maybe I can bring some on.  [Decent Gin isn't that hard to find, especially since I like Hendricks which everybody seems to carry.]

Corkage is $25 per bottle.  BUT..... you can bring on all the wine you want at the start of the cruise, and at every port you go wine shopping.  To avoid the fee, just consume the wine in your cabin or balcony.

And yes, agree: Fever Tree is the Gold Standard - you should bring some on.  Ever try their elderflower tonic?  I'm crazy for it.

21 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

And yes, agree: Fever Tree is the Gold Standard - you should bring some on.  Ever try their elderflower tonic?  I'm crazy for it.

I buy it by the case from Amazon.  Goes great with Silent Pool gin – only problem is finding that in NY [will stock up before leaving Miami if Total Wine has it there]

If you haven't seen it, here is a wonderful chart FeverTree made to pair their different tonics with popular gins:

fever-tree_pairing-wheel_starburst.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I buy it by the case from Amazon.  Goes great with Silent Pool gin – only problem is finding that in NY [will stock up before leaving Miami if Total Wine has it there]

If you haven't seen it, here is a wonderful chart FeverTree made to pair their different tonics with popular gins:

fever-tree_pairing-wheel_starburst.jpg

Have you tried Beekmans on Lexington Avenue for Silent Pool?  We've done a few "O" cruises to/from NYC & normally stay in the Barclay which is 2 minutes walk from the lobby.  They have as good a selection of British gins as I can get in the UK. 😀  https://beekmanliquor.business.site/

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse

I have a question for "cruisingxpert" about 7130 and 7135 - as those cabins are as aft as you can be, do you get much vibration in them other than when docking? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

5 hours ago, tampadee said:

I just booked #10035 penthouse on Riviera.

Anyone stayed there?

I have been in 10031 and 10056.  All the penthouses are the same size except 7135 and 7130.

If I can't get my Deck 7 ones I would take Deck 10 over Deck 11 with the big overhang.  All PH on Riviera and Marina are very nice