Any disadvantage to booking with TA instead of NCL

cruisingrandy

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

depends on offer

No, it doesn't. A TA can always throw in extra OBC that you wouldn't get booking directly with the cruise lines. This has already been explained to you.

A travel agent has the ability to apply a portion of their commission as onboard credit for a customer. The cruise consultants employed by the cruise line cannot do this. Plain and simple.

For example: A sailing on the Escape next September in a Spa Balcony Suite gets us an extra $875 OBC with our TA. Maybe you don't care...but most people would appreciate close to $1,000 in OBC on a sailing.

Edited by DaCruiseBug
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Again, it's not an offer from the cruise line. How do you not understand how this works?

If I had booked my cruise with just the cruise line, I would have only gotten $100 OBC and only the standard $50 ShoreEx credit, not the extra $50

It’s when you book and how busy the cruise is, I booked Mediterranean last September directly with NCL, for epic for this September, haven and got $300 each obc, we will have trouble spending that much, but will try! 

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I am in the minority but I always book directly with the cruise line. If anything changes, I simply email my NCL PCC and the changes are made or I get a price drop without haggling.

IMHO, the biggest example of the biggest perk of booking directly with NCL is cruise delays.  A few years ago a hurricane caused a ship to stay at sea an extra day or two.  People freaked out on board because they could not get flights and their travel agent did not work weekends.  The passengers were scrambling to get on a computer and find their own flights home, etc.  The passengers who booked directly with NCL simply had their new reservations slipped under the door.  No stress.  The kicker was all the screaming passengers bashing NCL for staying out at sea and being stranded.  None of their anger was directed at their travel agent who was not answering calls or not working the weekend.  Every time a ship alters course, the people who booked with a TA want the best of both worlds and suddenly want NCL (the cruise line) to rebook them.  They always want the best of both worlds.

Call me crazy but I book with the cruise line and also buy their insurance.  I love the cancel for any reason policy which is only offered with the cruise line.  If anything happens, I like having to deal directly with the cruise line. People forget that they have a TA when they are screaming at the customer service desk in the atrium.  Suddenly they want to be booked directly with the cruise line.  A little too late for that 😉

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 3

One and the same USA based TA for the cruise, the extra credit makes it really worth. We book via websites either way so (unless any storm hitting the.. like David described) we don't care for a PCC. Being in Europe it would not work for us. As others described I too don't feel that my TA is watching my booking but I check the rates and price drops myself from time to time.. but I've read a lot of proactive TA's so they must exist.. but I am happy with the extra credit and TA responds quickly to any email so that's all we need in normal situations. :classic_biggrin:

Hotel through booking sites, air fare directly with airline or sometimes a TA for more complicated routes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trimone said:

It’s when you book and how busy the cruise is, I booked Mediterranean last September directly with NCL, for epic for this September, haven and got $300 each obc, we will have trouble spending that much, but will try! 

In the US, anything you get booking directly with NCL a travel agent can get you as well PLUS they throw in additional perks. Could be onboard credit, dining credit etc. This is ALL on top of what you'd get with NCL.

1 minute ago, DaCruiseBug said:

In the US, anything you get booking directly with NCL a travel agent can get you as well PLUS they throw in additional perks. Could be onboard credit, dining credit etc. This is ALL on top of what you'd get with NCL.

Plus we think the US booking conditions are more favorabel than those used in Europe. :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I am in the minority but I always book directly with the cruise line. If anything changes, I simply email my NCL PCC and the changes are made or I get a price drop without haggling.

IMHO, the biggest example of the biggest perk of booking directly with NCL is cruise delays.  A few years ago a hurricane caused a ship to stay at sea an extra day or two.  People freaked out on board because they could not get flights and their travel agent did not work weekends.  The passengers were scrambling to get on a computer and find their own flights home, etc.  The passengers who booked directly with NCL simply had their new reservations slipped under the door.  No stress.  The kicker was all the screaming passengers bashing NCL for staying out at sea and being stranded.  None of their anger was directed at their travel agent who was not answering calls or not working the weekend.  Every time a ship alters course, the people who booked with a TA want the best of both worlds and suddenly want NCL (the cruise line) to rebook them.  They always want the best of both worlds.

Call me crazy but I book with the cruise line and also buy their insurance.  I love the cancel for any reason policy which is only offered with the cruise line.  If anything happens, I like having to deal directly with the cruise line. People forget that they have a TA when they are screaming at the customer service desk in the atrium.  Suddenly they want to be booked directly with the cruise line.  A little too late for that 😉

This is a very unique situation. First off, NCL isn't even offering airfare anymore so this example doesn't really apply. Second, many TAs are available via text 7 days a week. Third, a majority of people book airfare on their own and separate from the cruise. So if you're stuck out at sea and don't have insurance then you just have to buy a new plane ticket and apply the value of your existing ticket to it (minus change fee).

Not all TAs are the same. Not all have the same hours etc. But 99% of them can offer you something that NCL can't.

10 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

This is a very unique situation. First off, NCL isn't even offering airfare anymore so this example doesn't really apply. Second, many TAs are available via text 7 days a week. Third, a majority of people book airfare on their own and separate from the cruise. So if you're stuck out at sea and don't have insurance then you just have to buy a new plane ticket and apply the value of your existing ticket to it (minus change fee).

Not all TAs are the same. Not all have the same hours etc. But 99% of them can offer you something that NCL can't.

I used one example to make my point.  I could go on forever.  These boards are full of complaints how NCL is not catering to their demands, etc.  As soon as it is revealed they booked with a TA, people ask if they contacted them.  Answer:  No.

I am NOT saying TAs are bad. Most times people get good deals.  You are happy with your TA and that's great.  However, you cant sidestep or pick apart what I wrote.  I have been on this board for way too long about the endless complaints about their TA yet they come to the board to bash NCL over and over how inflexible they are.  People are confused.  They take the good deal with the TA yet want all the perks from booking direct with NCL.  You cant have it both ways.  That was my point.  I sacrifice a few hundred dollars in savings with the perk of having direct communication with the cruise line about EVERYTHING with my cruise.  To each their own 😉

Edited by david_sobe

29 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

First off, NCL isn't even offering airfare anymore so this example doesn't really apply.

I just booked about 2 weeks ago and my airfare is through NCL and I booked with an agent. Also, just checked the NCL website, they still offer air and right now it is 2-for-1. 

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

MHO, the biggest example of the biggest perk of booking directly with NCL is cruise delays.  A few years ago a hurricane caused a ship to stay at sea an extra day or two.  People freaked out on board because they could not get flights and their travel agent did not work weekends.  The passengers were scrambling to get on a computer and find their own flights home, etc.  The passengers who booked directly with NCL simply had their new reservations slipped under the door.  No stress.

I booked with a TA but my air is with NCL and if there is a problem, NCL will arrange my flights and transfers. So this is not exactly true.

7 minutes ago, zerooveride said:

I just booked about 2 weeks ago and my airfare is through NCL and I booked with an agent. Also, just checked the NCL website, they still offer air and right now it is 2-for-1. 

I booked with a TA but my air is with NCL and if there is a problem, NCL will arrange my flights and transfers. So this is not exactly true.

This is death by water torture. This is my last response to this thread.  YES, NCL does do things like booking flights when the TA goes missing.  Yeppers.  NCL like any company cares about their customers.  People keep trying to find an exception to prove the fundamentals of booking with a TA wrong.  ALL of my points are valid and remain the same.  If you like your TA, that is GREAT.  Dont get so offended because someone points out a viewpoint from the other side.  Good grief.  People are in their corners and wont even acknowledge the differences.  As I said from the beginning, there are benefits to BOTH sides.  I am giving the minority viewpoint that rarely gets discussed.  Thats all.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

This is death by water torture. This is my last response to this thread.  YES, NCL does do things like booking flights when the TA goes missing.  Yeppers.  NCL like any company cares about their customers.  People keep trying to find an exception to prove the fundamentals of booking with a TA wrong.  ALL of my points are valid and remain the same.  If you like your TA, that is GREAT.  Dont get so offended because someone points out a viewpoint from the other side.  Good grief.  People are in their corners and wont even acknowledge the differences.  As I said from the beginning, there are benefits to BOTH sides.  I am giving the minority viewpoint that rarely gets discussed.  Thats all.

Wow! You just took this the wrong way and went 0-60 real quick! Relax . . .

I was only pointing out that you were incorrect. And you're still incorrect. My TA does the Air through the Cruise Line so if there is a problem, I DON'T call them, I call NCL's Air Department (or whatever cruise line I'm on).

There is no one sizes fits all in this. It is what you prefer and feel comfortable with. Also, if you go with a TA, don't just go with them for the $$$, do your research about them before booking; not all are created equal.

I have a great TA and have had only one minor problem that they corrected real quick.I was missing about $200 OBC on a cruise when I boarded (some was there but was $200 short). I called the TA before the ship departed and left her a message. The next day I got a call from Guest Services (we were at sea) letting me know that my TA had reached out to NCL and had corrected the issue. The OBC was added to my account. When I got back in my room from dinner, there was a nice bottle of wine and some treats waiting for me with a card from the TA apologizing for the mix-up. Again, not all TA's are created equal. 

• Like 1

Our large TA works (at least did) all seven days with agents varying hours covering much of each day.

Our one delay came out mid day on a Friday.  Never contacted by NCL.  NCL did call our house but we were gone.  NCL website no note. Found out here on CC.

Anytime in the past when something happens, the fine folks here on CC will report it first whether cancel, delay, charter, etc.  All for your convenience, of course.

56 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

My TA is getting 16% of the fare and 10% of excursions, etc.

How do I go about getting a slice of that?

Are you all negotiating, or just hoping for the best from your TA?

My TA is giving me 10% of my fare back to me, so if they get 16%, they are only making 6% off of me

1 hour ago, zerooveride said:

My TA is giving me 10% of my fare back to me, so if they get 16%, they are only making 6% off of me

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. I did have one offer me a flat $50/voyage, but they working on a % basis and I would like an arrangement like that too. 

Encore is my favorite ship. The studio lounge is the best. The Observation lounge is also sweet. The Choir of Man is the best musical I've seen on a cruise ship.

24 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. I did have one offer me a flat $50/voyage, but they working on a % basis and I would like an arrangement like that too. 

Encore is my favorite ship. The studio lounge is the best. The Observation lounge is also sweet. The Choir of Man is the best musical I've seen on a cruise ship.

Shop around, even online. Some will throw in more than others.

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

ok great, how much are you paying for the cruise, and what type of cabin are you booking?

The prices given by travel agents are at worst the same as the prices offered by the cruise line directly. At best they have a block of rooms at a discounted price.

When it comes to booking a cruise, booking directly with the cruise line is the worst choice financially. Unless you book with them and then transfer the booking to a TA then that's fine as long as the TA rewards you for doing that.

1 hour ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The prices given by travel agents are at worst the same as the prices offered by the cruise line directly. At best they have a block of rooms at a discounted price.

They had a group rate at about $300/pp off our cabin, but between the extra $60 of OBC (for the higher fare we paid) and the 2-for-one air (which wasn't available with the group rate) we saved about $800. Flights on the day after Christmas from my area run about $650/pp round-trip to Miami (no direct flights); so $500 for airfare for both of us from NCL was cheaper. And with an NCL flight, if anything goes wrong we will get rerouted however way to get to the ship.

2 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

My twitter is in my profile, send me a message there seeing as messages are disabled here.