Star Suite Perks

Yo Adrienne

We will be cruising (hopefully) on the Star in late 2022...and although there isn't an actual Haven on the ship, we'll be in a suite that has all of the equivalent amenities. 

We're considering asking some friends to join us on the cruise...but with all of the changes that NCL has made to the levels of suites/benefits, does anyone know what suite level these friends would need to book in order to have access to the same amenities we do...?  (In particular, we're looking for them to have access to the suite breakfasts and lunches.)  I can't find this specifically mentioned on the NCL website.

I know I could ask my TA...but since these folks wouldn't necessarily be using her, I don't wanna take her time to do the research--with no compensation. 

Thanks in advance. 

To have the Haven suite amenities - there are only two staterooms that come close

with that level of service - those are the two Garden Suites on deck 14.

Each has 3 bedrooms - a very large entertainment/dining room - galley - hot tub - sauna - 

private semi enclosed sun deck - and a very large open deck on deck 15.

Accessed by elevator key card !

Including these two suites and all the rest (except the new Club Suites formerly labeled as

Mini-Suites) have Breakfast and Lunch at Cagney's or the adjacent Moderno on deck 13.

In the theatre the suites have reserved seating with the Garden Suites having choice first

row balcony seating.

With your group of travelers all in suites - the Concierge can book all your activities together

or individually.

You have plenty of time to research this - - -

How many are in your group and cabin availability for organizing this - - -

The Garden Suites would be the ultimate gathering of 3 couples on the STAR.

There are 2 staterooms of this level - so a party of 6 couples could party hardy

and have an entire private deck !

A Butler is assigned to a block of suites - 1 to the Garden Suites 

The Concierge is the overseer of all the crew assigned to suites

If you are real serious about the Garden Suites contact NCL for the arrangements.

You might be able to make an OFFER to be considered.

As for the other suites if booking a major block of suites together that too maybe

open for an Offer.

When cruising resumes the offers and upgrades may not be an option depending

on capacity spacing distancing  YMMV

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

To have the Haven suite amenities - there are only two staterooms that come close

with that level of service - those are the two Garden Suites on deck 14.

Each has 3 bedrooms - a very large entertainment/dining room - galley - hot tub - sauna - 

private semi enclosed sun deck - and a very large open deck on deck 15.

Accessed by elevator key card !

Including these two suites and all the rest (except the new Club Suites formerly labeled as

Mini-Suites) have Breakfast and Lunch at Cagney's or the adjacent Moderno on deck 13.

In the theatre the suites have reserved seating with the Garden Suites having choice first

row balcony seating.

Honestly, I was hoping you'd chime in here...! 🙂 

It would only be DH and myself....and the one other couple, so the Garden Suite wouldn't be worth it for us.

We will be on deck 10...OS...and of course, ideal would be if they could do the other OS on that deck--but I think it's already booked.  I believe the suite adjoining ours is also already booked--so that's not an option, either.  (Would have been great fun to be right next door to each other.) 

We're not show, nor spa people...so the only real thing that we're looking to ensure for them is the option for the suite breakfasts and lunches.  And concierge service for booking dinner reservations would be nice for them, but isn't critical.  Same for a butler--nice for room service--but not critical for them.  And we typically book our own shore excursions, too.

We know that they might need to book something on another deck, so is it true that they could look at any suite that is categorized as S#...? 

Thanks for your help...! 

40 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

It's all or nothing.  You either get B/L in Cagney's and ALL the other amenities or you get none of them.  If you/they book a suite, you/they get them all.

Yes, I understand that...so I'm just trying to ascertain...is that any suite with the "S" notation...as in S1, S2, etc...?  I just wanna steer them toward the correct stateroom type as they look at deckplans amd make their selection.

33 minutes ago, Yo Adrienne said:

Yes, I understand that...so I'm just trying to ascertain...is that any suite with the "S" notation...as in S1, S2, etc...?  I just wanna steer them toward the correct stateroom type as they look at deckplans amd make their selection.

Head over to NCL's web site for the Star (link below) and click on "staterooms," select "suite," and you'll see all the suites (yes, they start with S...).  And as noted above, "club balcony suites" are NOT suites, and you'll see they are listed separately on this web page.  Enjoy your cruise!

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/star/staterooms

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Head over to NCL's web site for the Star (link below) and click on "staterooms," select "suite," and you'll see all the suites (yes, they start with S...).  And as noted above, "club balcony suites" are NOT suites, and you'll see they are listed separately on this web page.  Enjoy your cruise!

2 hours ago, Yo Adrienne said:

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

any suite gives you the goodies, but not club suites. operative word is any suite onthe ship comes with the butler, concierge, breakfast and lunch is specially designated restaurants. priority boarding, special check in area, priority exiting the ship at the end.  any suite

6 hours ago, Yo Adrienne said:

Honestly, I was hoping you'd chime in here...! 🙂 

It would only be DH and myself....and the one other couple, so the Garden Suite wouldn't be worth it for us.

We will be on deck 10...OS...and of course, ideal would be if they could do the other OS on that deck--but I think it's already booked.  I believe the suite adjoining ours is also already booked--so that's not an option, either.  (Would have been great fun to be right next door to each other.) 

We're not show, nor spa people...so the only real thing that we're looking to ensure for them is the option for the suite breakfasts and lunches.  And concierge service for booking dinner reservations would be nice for them, but isn't critical.  Same for a butler--nice for room service--but not critical for them.  And we typically book our own shore excursions, too.

We know that they might need to book something on another deck, so is it true that they could look at any suite that is categorized as S#...? 

Thanks for your help...! 

again, any suite you book comes with the same amenities, aslong as its not what they call a club suite which is just a new name for the old mini suites

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, complawyer said:

but who wants to spend that kind of money and not get a balcony? and, i believe they arent tjhat much cheaper

Agreed...we always want a balcony.  We really like being able to be outside on a balcony (even in inclement weather).

We did take a look at those DOS suites, too, up on Deck 12 when we were choosing our suite.  And while all of those windows are nice, I did a search for videos and actual pictures of those suites...and found a number of them that showed that the windows were dirty and/or had condensation stuck within them--so the view was obstructed.  That sealed the deal that they weren't for us.

We've done the OS on Deck 10 on the Jewel and the Pearl...and we love those...so that's what we've gone with for this cruise on the Star.  Now we just hope it isn't cancelled (though by 2022, we hope cruising will have resumed). 

Thanks for all of the help..! 🙂

October 2014 cabin 12012 Suite starboard forward 1 of 2 of the windows was frosting over.

The cabin next door had 2 windows of 4 - frosted.

Yes was a major visibility problem - - -

The problem was commented on here at CC - don't know if they were ever fixed.

Understood that a major dry-dock was necessary to replace these floor to ceiling

heavy weight multi panel windows.

OK that noted - - - 

Deck 12 forward had the -4- balcony-less OS forward over the bridge

Forward of the pool area are 24 suites 20 are balcony-less (the least expensive suites

on the STAR) and 4 are with balcony which cuts into the floor space of the cabin.

Forward of the elevators are 18 inside cabins across the passageway from the suites.

A real quiet end of the ship not a great deal of foot traffic  - no boom box entertainment

except for getting closer to the pool area. Might be some gathering of folks due to the

4 meeting rooms in the area and the very quiet library.

Across from the library are the Handicap Suites - one each side {P} {S}

Port side of the pool deck is the smoking side - possible smoke fumes drifting forward

in the port side passageway through the air doors.

Deck 11 forward has 10 2BR suites 5 each side - best amount of usable space - that is

2BR with shower sink and commode - sleeps 5 

There are 12 suites aft on decks 8 9 and 10 - AVOID deck 8 right over the boom-box

Ultra Bliss Lounge - 9 and 10 are OK

Forward there are 6 suites on deck 10 - 2 of which are OS with 2 balconies and 4 suites that

have balconies overlooking the bow.

Same on deck 9 except the OS are a tad smaller in floor space.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yo Adrienne said:

Agreed...we always want a balcony.  We really like being able to be outside on a balcony (even in inclement weather).

We did take a look at those DOS suites, too, up on Deck 12 when we were choosing our suite.  And while all of those windows are nice, I did a search for videos and actual pictures of those suites...and found a number of them that showed that the windows were dirty and/or had condensation stuck within them--so the view was obstructed.  That sealed the deal that they weren't for us.

We've done the OS on Deck 10 on the Jewel and the Pearl...and we love those...so that's what we've gone with for this cruise on the Star.  Now we just hope it isn't cancelled (though by 2022, we hope cruising will have resumed). 

when specifically are you planning on going (if i may so bold as to inquire)?

my wife and i, her sister and her husband took the star from dec 2016 to jan 2017 on a southeast asia cruise.  it was from hong kong to singapore. when we got on board, we were advised that 3 ports were being cancelled due to mechanical problem, one was taiwan, one was hanoi (being a vietnam vet) i really wanted to see hanoi and a port in cambodia.  we live in los angeles, we're now in hong kong, the return flight was over 2 weeks later. they  offered to return our full fare, or reduce this cruise by 50% and give us 50% off our next cruise. (no brainer huh).

we had two adjoining forward facing penthouse suites, as the sisters cannot stand to be away from each other.  we got the amenities, butler, concierge,separate dining room, but the cabin was just a larger version of a mini suite.  i understand that at a different cruise, the star had the same mechanical problems

so, sorry this is so long, but i wish you the best of luck on this particular ship.  i booked it again for last march (2020) santiago, chile to port canaveral, going thru the panama canal. although i was hesitent to book the star again, it was 15 days, i wanted to transit the canal, nd spend a few days after the cruise in orlando,and the price for a suite was reasonable. by the way as an aside, unless i get a suite or haven, my wife will refuse to go. perish the thought of a club suite or lower

obviously the cruise was cancelled

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Yo Adrienne said:

Depends on route but if you are die hard balcony fans in any weather the deck nine and ten are perfect since the side balcony is covered.

Deck 12 DOS window fogging was a problem but nearly zero reports one way or another last couple years.  The outer DOS are amazing even without a balcony with the amount of windows and side wing.  Plus you can go one floor up for huge deck area normally empty.

We've been in both and in either case great rooms.  At the end of the day, NCL changing their names and charging more for ten than nine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Depends on route but if you are die hard balcony fans in any weather the deck nine and ten are perfect since the side balcony is covered.

Deck 12 DOS window fogging was a problem but nearly zero reports one way or another last couple years.  The outer DOS are amazing even without a balcony with the amount of windows and side wing.  Plus you can go one floor up for huge deck area normally empty.

We've been in both and in either case great rooms.

Yes, we've been in those OS on the Jewel and the Pearl (deck 10) for Baltic and Alaskan cruises...and love the fact that we have both a forward facing balcony, as well as the covered balcony on the side. 🙂  And while those suites on deck 12 look nice, we know we really would miss the balcony. 🙂 

18 hours ago, complawyer said:

when specifically are you planning on going (if i may so bold as to inquire)?

my wife and i, her sister and her husband took the star from dec 2016 to jan 2017 on a southeast asia cruise.  it was from hong kong to singapore. when we got on board, we were advised that 3 ports were being cancelled due to mechanical problem, one was taiwan, one was hanoi (being a vietnam vet) i really wanted to see hanoi and a port in cambodia.  we live in los angeles, we're now in hong kong, the return flight was over 2 weeks later. they  offered to return our full fare, or reduce this cruise by 50% and give us 50% off our next cruise. (no brainer huh).

we had two adjoining forward facing penthouse suites, as the sisters cannot stand to be away from each other.  we got the amenities, butler, concierge,separate dining room, but the cabin was just a larger version of a mini suite.  i understand that at a different cruise, the star had the same mechanical problems

so, sorry this is so long, but i wish you the best of luck on this particular ship.  i booked it again for last march (2020) santiago, chile to port canaveral, going thru the panama canal. although i was hesitent to book the star again, it was 15 days, i wanted to transit the canal, nd spend a few days after the cruise in orlando,and the price for a suite was reasonable. by the way as an aside, unless i get a suite or haven, my wife will refuse to go. perish the thought of a club suite or lower

obviously the cruise was cancelled

Wow...what a saga for you...! 😮 

I had read about some issues with the Star a few years ago...but am hoping that things have been repaired and it has sailed without issues since then (up until this past year, of course)...! 

We also had a cruise cancelled this past September (Alaska on the Sun)...and have rebooked again for this September--but we're suspecting it will also be cancelled. 

Our cruise on the Star is currently scheduled for September 2022...and we're hopeful that cruising will have returned to somewhat "normal" levels by then...!  Fingers crossed...! 🙂  We'll have one of the OS on deck 10.  (We've been in similar suites on the Jewel and Pearl)...and loved 'em...the front AND side balconies are great.)  If our friends are able to join us, we would have loved to have them book the adjoining suite, but it's already booked...so we're looking for other suites that would enable them to have similar amenities, but also be close by. 

Wow...what a saga for you...! 😮 

I had read about some issues with the Star a few years ago...but am hoping that things have been repaired and it has sailed without issues since then (up until this past year, of course)...! 

We also had a cruise cancelled this past September (Alaska on the Sun)...and have rebooked again for this September--but we're suspecting it will also be cancelled. 

Our cruise on the Star is currently scheduled for September 2022...and we're hopeful that cruising will have returned to somewhat "normal" levels by then...!  Fingers crossed...! 🙂  We'll have one of the OS on deck 10.  (We've been in similar suites on the Jewel and Pearl)...and loved 'em...the front AND side balconies are great.)  If our friends are able to join us, we would have loved to have them book the adjoining suite, but it's already booked...so we're looking for other suites that would enable them to have similar amenities, but also be close by. 

bon voyage!

• Like 1

These issues were awhile back when the STAR was sailing in Australian waters.

Was operating with one of two azipods (propeller devices propelling the ship)

The one good one conked out and the STAR had to be towed to Melbourne for repairs.

All is well now - presently moored at Genova Italy  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We are on the Star in December in the OS too. I have been trying to find out if they still offer the breakfast and lunch in Cagney's. I thought I had read somewhere that they have removed this from some of the ships and just trying to confirm if this is the case with the Star. I have had no luck searching the NCL website.

13 minutes ago, philatiger said:

We are on the Star in December in the OS too. I have been trying to find out if they still offer the breakfast and lunch in Cagney's. I thought I had read somewhere that they have removed this from some of the ships and just trying to confirm if this is the case with the Star. I have had no luck searching the NCL website.

This question was answered two days ago on the NCL Star Q&A section by @Sailing12Away - -

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/star/cruise-questions

@ggTexasGal

I can't see any questions on that link. Just cabin descriptions.  Possibly because any link for me reverts to the .co.uk website.   Can you tell me what the answer is please.  We are in a suite on the Star in July.

Edited by cassie55

Anyone know the category code for the Penthouse Balcony on the star?  I have seen it as both SC and SG.  I am thinking about bidding for an upgrade, and I want to be sure that I know where I COULD end up (want to stay more midship).  For my vacation budget, that is the most friendly.  Balcony is a must (according to DH).  Currently in a regular ol midship balcony. Not even the family balcony.