Rony or Bodden?

sjmbruce

I'm planning an excursion for not only me and my husband, but also for my extended family (parents, sister, BIL, niece, cousin). We're going to spend the morning going to a few spots, followed by lunch and the rest of the afternoon on the beach. I'm trying to decide between Rony and Bodden tours. 

My initial choice was Rony, but I decided to email them both to check availability. Bodden's email was much clearer and more professional than the message from Rony. Rony asked for a deposit, but full payment if we could. Then he asked if we could paypal him the money through friends and family instead of the goods and services option. It just felt a little sketchy.  Although my gut initially said to go with Rony, I am now having reservations. 

'

Any thoughts or advice? 

They are both very reputable companies. Perhaps with the lost of income (covid) Rony is attemtping to minimize the fees he pays. This is just a guess. 

With that said, I would not be finalizing my excursion plans until after I know for sure cruises are going to be in operation. 

Agree with Guest 2000.   Do not pay even a deposit for excursion until cruise ships sail and ports are back open and you know the cruise lines rules for excursions.  There has been significant talk that excursions might be limited to cruise sponsored.  Also because both have been out business for over a year you do not know when and if they will startup again.

13 hours ago, franktown said:

There has been significant talk that excursions might be limited to cruise sponsored. 

This is interesting information, definitely something to keep track of. Thanks so much!

Hmmm I wonder if allowing ships to port will be worth it to the islands if only ship sponsored.....   

Thanks for the advice. The cruise is in mid 2022 so I hope hope hope that it will happen. It will be our second family cruise and it's such a perfect way to travel as a group without being tempted to kill each other. 

I also am crossing my fingers that excursions won't be limited to the ship sponsored ones. I really dislike their large groups on mega busses and live for independent exploration or local guides. For now I'll hope for the best and enjoy the planning. 

Edited by sjmbruce

14 hours ago, Guest 2000 said:

This is interesting information, definitely something to keep track of. Thanks so much!

Hmmm I wonder if allowing ships to port will be worth it to the islands if only ship sponsored.....   

They will at lease get the docking fees and I believe they still use local companies for the tours. That’s what’s happening with the ships that are sailing.

14 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

Thanks for the advice. The cruise is in mid 2022 so I hope hope hope that it will happen. It will be our second family cruise and it's such a perfect way to travel as a group without being tempted to kill each other. 

I also am crossing my fingers that excursions won't be limited to the ship sponsored ones. I really dislike their large groups on mega busses and live for independent exploration or local guides. For now I'll hope for the best and enjoy the planning. 

I am hopful things will be more normal by then as well. Maybe contact Rony early 2022, perhaps his policies will have adjusted.

• 1 month later...

We have used both many times.  We prefer Rony but can't go wrong with either.  Justin Roatan Webster is great as well.  You can find that young man on Facebook.  He is one amazing young man and a lot of fun.  We use Rony a lot.

• 1 month later...

We used Rony's, paid them via Paypal a few years ago.  Had a fantastic driver, Brian, who showed us around in his private car.  Was a little sketchy though because he had us meet him outside the port and take us to his car on a side road.  Wife and daughter were a bit nervous, but all worked out fine!  Took us to the chocolate factory, rum tasting, one of the sloth/monkey places and to a church to give out some school supplies to the children.

On 6/8/2021 at 3:31 PM, YankeesFan4Life said:

We used Rony's, paid them via Paypal a few years ago.  Had a fantastic driver, Brian, who showed us around in his private car.  Was a little sketchy though because he had us meet him outside the port and take us to his car on a side road.  Wife and daughter were a bit nervous, but all worked out fine!  Took us to the chocolate factory, rum tasting, one of the sloth/monkey places and to a church to give out some school supplies to the children.

Were you docked at Mahogany Bay?  If so, I think most of the independent tour operators have to meet their clients a little ways up the hill outside the port gates.  

5 hours ago, o-state girl said:

Were you docked at Mahogany Bay?  If so, I think most of the independent tour operators have to meet their clients a little ways up the hill outside the port gates.  

No, I believe we were at Coxen Hole on an NCL ship. Still trying to find the name of the restaurant we ate Iguana at for lunch right outside the port as we’re going back in August!

• 1 year later...

Please do not hesitate to use Rony.  He has been a friend of ours for about 15 years.  We used him for a tour on our first visit to Roatan.  We have spent lots of time with him over the years.  We've visited via cruise ship 10+ times and have spent 1-2 weeks on Roatan 4 separate times, seeing Rony several times each visit.  Each trip, we do charity work and take supplies for the children and families in his community.  During the pandemic, we sent him money through Paypal to do food banks for his community.  He sent me videos and pictures of the trucks with food and the families receiving the food.  When we visited last month, we had a big get together at the church.  Everyone was so thankful for the help and we were thankful Rony took so much of his time making it happen.  We have trusted him with thousands of dollars.  He does so much for his community.  He is really a great guy!  There is a reason he asks for the money as "friends and family".  Paypal only charges him $5+/- to get his money.  If you pay him as a business, they take a percentage.  Every dollar is important to him.

While Bodden is a big business(relatively) with lots of employees, Rony is a small local business trying to help friends in his community support their families.  Nothing wrong with Bodden, but we will recommend Rony every time.  He told us that he has to ask for deposits or full payment to make sure he doesn't lose money.  If he or one of his driver shows up at the port and a family decides to go with tour guide that stops them on the street, he is out money.  He spends hours waiting for someone who isn't going to show up.  We have a great time with Rony every trip - I'm sure you will too.  Arnold is also amazing!  The freestyle tour is best - have your own private driver for the day - do as you please on your own schedule!

My sister wrote the above post for me as I dictated it to her(I was making chocolate covered strawberries).  She was at my house and logged in under her account and I forgot to tell her to change to mine to post.  I normally don't read everything she posts, but thought I should mention this in case she posts something like - "We just got back from our first trip to Roatan." 

We introduced her family to Rony on our recent visit.  They had a great time touring the island with us.  Rony does a great job with just 2 people or a large group.