Princess Medallion app for Amazon Kindle Fire tablet?

PaperSniper4

I have not been able to find the Medallion app on Amazon's list of Kindle Fire apps. Can't recall the app name but I think it's MedallionClass?  Has anyone been able to try the "regular" Android version of the Medallion app on their Fire? I know there is a workaround to allow non Fire apps to work on a Fire, but I'd rather avoid that.

I do have the Medallions apps on our phones and have used them okay in the past. But if we must start using phones to see menus, etc, I'd much rather have the larger Fire to read! I'll be using the Fire to check emails, read ebooks, check things on the internet, etc and I'd like to toss the phone in the safe once we're on board.

Doug

• Like 1

I have a Kindle Fire 7 and I was able to get the Medallion Class App loaded onto it and It worked fine on my last cruise on Regal in February 2020.  You need to jump through a few hoops and install the Google Play Store on the Fire first.  It's somewhat complex but if you follow the instructions step-by-step without deviation you can put the Google Play Store on the Fire, then search the Google Play Store for the Medallion Class App.  When I did it, the Google Play Store got on the Fire without a hitch but when I downloaded the Medallion Class App I thought it didn't work and went to bed.  When I got up in the morning it was on the Fire.  The processor in the Fire is very slow so just don't be impatient.

Here is one link that gives instructions for downloading the Google Play Store.

How to install the Google Play Store on an Amazon Fire tablet (androidpolice.com)

I hope this helps answer your questions.  Like I said, once I got it on my Fire, all of the features of the Medallion Class worked like a charm!  I haven't noticed any other problems and it did open up availability to many more apps than just the Amazon store.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I have a Kindle Fire 7 and I was able to get the Medallion Class App loaded onto it and It worked fine on my last cruise on Regal in February 2020.  You need to jump through a few hoops and install the Google Play Store on the Fire first.  It's somewhat complex but if you follow the instructions step-by-step without deviation you can put the Google Play Store on the Fire, then search the Google Play Store for the Medallion Class App.  When I did it, the Google Play Store got on the Fire without a hitch but when I downloaded the Medallion Class App I thought it didn't work and went to bed.  When I got up in the morning it was on the Fire.  The processor in the Fire is very slow so just don't be impatient.

Here is one link that gives instructions for downloading the Google Play Store.

How to install the Google Play Store on an Amazon Fire tablet (androidpolice.com)

I hope this helps answer your questions.  Like I said, once I got it on my Fire, all of the features of the Medallion Class worked like a charm!  I haven't noticed any other problems and it did open up availability to many more apps than just the Amazon store.

Thanks for posting the link for those wanting to try that workaround. However, I was asking if anyone had any luck downloading and using the Medallion app on a non-modified Fire. I'd rather load only Fire apps on my tablet.

I suspect on our next cruise there will be very few paper forms, menus, Patter, etc available, so we will have to use some sort of electronics. I'd prefer not using my Android cell as it's very small, hence my question. I understand and do support the cruise lines thoughts on limiting things like menus that we will hold, however. I suppose I will try my cell for those tasks on our next cruise......no way I'd want to read the Princess Patter on a cell though! Maybe I could read it in the cabin on TV? But I will miss holding the Patter in my hand while sipping my morning coffee on the balcony, listening to the water go buy. 😎

Doug

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Thanks for posting the link for those wanting to try that workaround. However, I was asking if anyone had any luck downloading and using the Medallion app on a non-modified Fire. I'd rather load only Fire apps on my tablet.

I suspect on our next cruise there will be very few paper forms, menus, Patter, etc available, so we will have to use some sort of electronics. I'd prefer not using my Android cell as it's very small, hence my question. I understand and do support the cruise lines thoughts on limiting things like menus that we will hold, however. I suppose I will try my cell for those tasks on our next cruise......no way I'd want to read the Princess Patter on a cell though! Maybe I could read it in the cabin on TV? But I will miss holding the Patter in my hand while sipping my morning coffee on the balcony, listening to the water go buy. 😎

Doug

Medallion Class App is only available from either Apple or Google stores - Amazon doesn't have it (yet?), so in order to get Medallion Class on your fire, you would need to follow the steps outlined above.  Just out of curiosity, why do you have the concern about loading Google Play on your Fire?

I have a Fire 7 and as I said Medallion Class and everything else works just fine on my Fire.  If you're concerned that installing the other software will somehow compromise your Fire, an alternative for you could be getting a 2nd Fire from eBay,  There are a number of pre-owned Fire 7,8 &10's available there for very reasonable prices.  Just a thought if it helps.

I don't have a smart phone (I don't want one...) so I will need to use my fire for situations where a qr code is required.  If they only come out with an electronic vaccination passport, my Fire would need to be able to save and display it.  

Enjoy your next cruise!  🌴 🚢 ⛱️ 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Medallion Class App is only available from either Apple or Google stores - Amazon doesn't have it (yet?), so in order to get Medallion Class on your fire, you would need to follow the steps outlined above.  Just out of curiosity, why do you have the concern about loading Google Play on your Fire?

I have a Fire 7 and as I said Medallion Class and everything else works just fine on my Fire.  If you're concerned that installing the other software will somehow compromise your Fire, an alternative for you could be getting a 2nd Fire from eBay,  There are a number of pre-owned Fire 7,8 &10's available there for very reasonable prices.  Just a thought if it helps.

I don't have a smart phone (I don't want one...) so I will need to use my fire for situations where a qr code is required.  If they only come out with an electronic vaccination passport, my Fire would need to be able to save and display it.  

Enjoy your next cruise!  🌴 🚢 ⛱️ 

I've seen a lot of cases where cells, tablets and PCs have suddenly started acting weird when they are asked to do something their designers did not intend or envision. I agree the risk is probably slight. However, I must have a workable device for emails and for checking airline reservations while on the cruise. So I don't want to compromise may tablet. I plan on going out on a limb on this trip and leaving my laptop at home and using the tablet and an eReader instead. That way I can save a pound or two in weight and some space. I own three Fires (2 HD10s and 1 HD8) and an Amazon Kindle eReader. I had planned on bringing one HD 10 and my Kindle eReader as a backup just for reading. But I think I might bring two Fire tablets instead; I could install google play plus the Medallion app on one, so I'd have a spare in case of a crash or performance issue. I can read my ebooks easily on the Fires. I have very few apps on my Fires, and don't anticipate loading any non-Fire apps other than Medallion, so going through that hassle is....well, a hassle. 😉 But it may be the smart way to do things.

Doug

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/7/2021 at 4:38 PM, PaperSniper4 said:

I have not been able to find the Medallion app on Amazon's list of Kindle Fire apps. Can't recall the app name but I think it's MedallionClass?  Has anyone been able to try the "regular" Android version of the Medallion app on their Fire? I know there is a workaround to allow non Fire apps to work on a Fire, but I'd rather avoid that.

I do have the Medallions apps on our phones and have used them okay in the past. But if we must start using phones to see menus, etc, I'd much rather have the larger Fire to read! I'll be using the Fire to check emails, read ebooks, check things on the internet, etc and I'd like to toss the phone in the safe once we're on board.

Doug

You don't need the app at all, don't worry about it

@miagirl @Pluto_fan and @mbpengboy - I see where you have been giving some positive reactions to a post I made in 2021.  To clarify, I did the download of the Medallion Class App in 2019 and used it very well on a February 2020 cruise.  Since then, I tried to use it in late 2021 for a February 2022 sailing and found that although it still shows on my Fire 7, the functionality of the app was severely diminished after Princess 'upgraded' the app.  In order for me to get Ocean Ready at that time, the only way to do it was through the app, and I couldn't do it on the Fire 7.  I ended up purchasing an inexpensive Samsung Android tablet as that had a new enough operating system for the new version of the app to work.  The app still opens on my Fire 7, but crashes sometimes.  I do see my next booking on the Fire and it shows me as "Green Lane", so It may work on cruises now as they may have tweaked the app so that it doesn't require a more recent version of the operating system.  I won't know if it will still work well until I am onboard next year.  I'm interested to know how it works for you.

Edited by Daniel A

Daniel, thanks for the update and of course the instructions.  I have a Fire HD 8 (8th gen.) and have successfully loaded the Google Play store and the Medallion app.  I'd already set up my Ocean Ready on my phone and it pulls up just fine on the Fire.  My email - gmail account - is working just fine.  I don't have Outlook installed on the Fire.  Accessing my work email entails a lot of security and I just don't want all that stuff added to the Fire.

One up date to the "Install the Google Play Store" from the link you provided.  It looks like there is only on Google Play apk to install but when you click on the link there is a whole list of them.  I tried the top one listed, no luck.  The second one worked just fine - the Android 5.0+.  I'm thinking it may have something to do with the age of my Fire.

I'm on the Crown at the end of June and I'll let you know how it works.  I really don't want to have to lug my laptop around.  thanks again!

image.png.09744be0781fd50dc135105f0d0651f7.png

image.png.c04cf720cb9f223885903772b98fc276.png

• Thanks 1