Grand Dutch Cafe

farawaygal

On 2/15/2022 at 11:06 PM, Julia McCoun said:

I actually have news!!! My freedom was not long but we went to the Captain's toast and some officers and the Captain were outside.   I was stating my hatred of the Promenade Deck on the Mining scam but admitted my love of the Grand Dutch Cafe.  ..... I'm not sure who said but works are on to put the Dutch Cafe on the Zuiderdam.... Perhaps all the smaller ships.   Fingers crossed it's not a cruel rumor.

Why do you hate the Promenade Deck on the Koningsdam?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the mighty K-dam in 2016.. and enjoyed the Dutch Apple Pie.. 

Looking at the posted menu, it doesn't seem to be listed.. 

We sail on the New Years cruise coming up on her.. 

Can anyone on a recent cruise clear up if the Apple Pie is still offered?

• 5 months later...

Visit early in the week to get the broadest menu selection.  On our Dec 2022 Nieuw Statendam cruise, the Dutch Cafe began running out of some of the items mid-week.  One item in particular was the berries for their Triple Berry Pannenkoek.

They said it was a supply chain issue...no berries were in the resupply stock they received prior to the cruise.  They also hadn't received any stock of a number of their specialty Dutch beers (almost brought a tear to my eyes).

On 8/29/2022 at 11:13 PM, RedSkyAtNite said:

Can anyone on a recent cruise clear up if the Apple Pie is still offered?

We had it on the Rotterdam in November and Nieuw Statendam in January.   It was very good, but didn't look like the typical round American pie.  

The menu posted doesn't include pastries/deserts

We had what looked like a stacked apple slice pastry at the Dutch Cafe  - Dec/Jan 2023- not quite a pie, not quite a cake, but it was very tall and full of apple slices.  Might have had a crust around it - top or bottom.

Edited by OlsSalt

7 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

We had what looked like a stacked apple slice pastry at the Dutch Cafe  - Dec/Jan 2023- not quite a pie, not quite a cake, but it was very tall and full of apple slices.  Might have had a crust around it - top or bottom.

This is an example of how a dutch appeltaart looks like  Recept: <b>Appeltaart</b> - Koopmans.com

Due to diet restrictions, I only ate two 8-inch chocolate chip cookies in 11 days on Rotterdam in December 2021. They were the BEST I have ever eaten (81 years old and counting). Not only were they great, but I was lucky enough both times to get them still warm. I thought "This is what Heaven must be like!"

Jim

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I’m very interested in trying the Grand Dutch Cafe on HAL.  Can anyone give me their thoughts on the quality of the pannenkoek?  I found one photo of the apple and bacon pannenkoek, but none of the triple berry.  

• Like 1