Cruise Lines could homeport in Bermuda

Charles4515

On 3/22/2021 at 1:36 PM, njhorseman said:

Thanks for posting this update. I'm sure you  recall we discussed this possibility in early February when it was first reported in the Royal Gazette.

They got one. Announced today. Vision of the Seas in June. 

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1512/summer-2021-heats-up-with-new-royal-caribbean-cruises-from-bermuda/

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I wonder if Bermuda might get second thoughts about cruise ship homeporting if the sudden spike in COVID-19 cases there continues.

https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20210322/covid-19-41-new-cases-and-106-active-infections/

https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20210323/live-updates-covid-19-press-conference-at-5-30pm/

4 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Vision will be sailing out of Bermuda June - August

I applaud them for finding a way forward in a still uncertain time, but isn't the purpose of most people on this thread to sail to and spend meaningful time in Bermuda? I'm sure they will get a bunch of folks who really just want to get on a ship, but the whole attraction for me is the 3-3.5 days you spend on the island with a lot of itineraries. 

Going to the Bahamas or their private island has little appeal to us at least-- Bermuda is much nicer. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

I applaud them for finding a way forward in a still uncertain time, but isn't the purpose of most people on this thread to sail to and spend meaningful time in Bermuda? I'm sure they will get a bunch of folks who really just want to get on a ship, but the whole attraction for me is the 3-3.5 days you spend on the island with a lot of itineraries. 

Going to the Bahamas or their private island has little appeal to us at least-- Bermuda is much nicer. 

The itinerary has no appeal to me.  If I fly to Bermuda I will stay in Bermuda not cruise out of there. I have been to the private island, Coco Cay, I was there in January 2021. It is a beach stop. I could go to Horseshoe Bay every day or other magnificent Bermuda beaches if I stayed there. Sea days on a 1996 Vision Class ship does not appeal much to me either. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

From the press release.......“ This is another step in our safe and measured return to sailing beginning in June,” said Michael Bayley, president and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “Travelers are eager to venture out gradually and start cruising again. By adding a second unique option to sail the Caribbean from a destination as rich and vibrant as Bermuda, we’re offering guests choice in how they can enjoy their well-deserved vacations this summer.”

Michael Bayley flunks geography. The announced cruise does not sail the Caribbean. It sails in the Atlantic. To be exact the Bermuda Triangle. Those sea days there and back to the one day at the private island could be rough. No thanks. 

• Like 1

I don’t believe the citizens of Bermuda will tolerate any additional flights coming in or out of their airport. Though there wasn’t much mention of that in the Royal Gazette. Also will be interesting to see how transportation and luggage handling will be set up at the Dockyard.

6 minutes ago, Cruisin MarcnFran said:

I don’t believe the citizens of Bermuda will tolerate any additional flights coming in or out of their airport. Though there wasn’t much mention of that in the Royal Gazette. Also will be interesting to see how transportation and luggage handling will be set up at the Dockyard.

They hosted the America's Cup out of the Dockyard in 2017. There were 100, 000 visitors over 22 days. In think they could handle 2000 passengers a week from one ship at the dockyard. They had a temporary ferry dock at the airport. And it is not like they have no experience with cruise ships. Some days 6000-7000 cruise ship passengers were arriving during cruise season. As for tolerating additional flights they want additional flights. They would prefer hotel tourism but given the drop in tourism and flights as a result of Covid I don't think they would chase away whatever tourism they can get.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cruisin MarcnFran said:

Yes I was there...aboard a Celebrity ship. Yes quite a lot of people. Was unaware that they had ferries coming from airport. In the past the cruise ship passengers were not arriving or leaving ships with luggage.

Yes, they had a temporary dock and reinstalled it last month. See link below. 

As I mentioned in two earlier posts in response to posts wondering why Vision and not a larger ship, 3500 passengers might be a problem ( not saying 3500 or 4000 with luggage would be a problem or not a problem but 2000 or less ( might be reduced capacity) is probably doable.  Certainly Royal has agreement with the local authorities that they would handle passengers arriving at the airport with luggage and then getting them onboard and off board. 

https://www.royalgazette.com/general/news/article/20210223/americas-cup-dock-at-airport-reinstalled/

On 3/23/2021 at 8:05 PM, Charles4515 said:

The itinerary has no appeal to me.  If I fly to Bermuda I will stay in Bermuda not cruise out of there. I have been to the private island, Coco Cay, I was there in January 2021. It is a beach stop. I could go to Horseshoe Bay every day or other magnificent Bermuda beaches if I stayed there. Sea days on a 1996 Vision Class ship does not appeal much to me either. 

I would totally agree with you.