Which Month(s) Are Good for Liberty OTS Sailing?

I have wanted since forever to do a Liberty sailing from Galveston.  If you would, please advise which months are best for travel to/from that port.  I read information that fog can be an issue during certain times of the year.  I am targeting 2022 months of April, May, September - but honestly, I would go ANY month!  I am super-excited about the itinerary (Falmouth, Grand Cayman and Cozumel).

Thanks!

Fog is often feb. Rained like crazy feb 2020, but of course this feb we had 3 ice and snow storms. First time I've ever seen snow on Galveston beach. ..I actually love to get away during winter and fog doesnt bother me but I don't fly out. But feb is known for fog for Galveston. 

I have liberty booked this December right before xmas and it's fun to see all the xmas decorations. 

There isnt a bad month, but labor day is the top of hurricanes, the time when the ocean is the warmest so hurricanes can be at their worst strength wise. Hurricane season goes now into nov, impossible to miss except for a few months but I'm most concerned in sept. Lost my car to hurricane Ike when it hit Galveston. 

• Like 1

Fog can also be a problem Dec. thru March. Not as likely in Dec. tho'. The reason fog is a problem is the channel to get from the ocean into port is narrow and not easy to navigate. When there's fog, the ship may have to be still in the water until the fog lifts. Also that can impact the Houston airports.  I wouldn't do Sept. or late Aug. as that is the peak of hurricane season. The city of Galveston is itself an interesting destination, so come a day or 2 before your cruise. We've done Liberty and a couple of other RCI ships out of Galveston many times. The terminal was enlarged a few years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteadyBetty said:

I have wanted since forever to do a Liberty sailing from Galveston.  If you would, please advise which months are best for travel to/from that port.  I read information that fog can be an issue during certain times of the year.  I am targeting 2022 months of April, May, September - but honestly, I would go ANY month!  I am super-excited about the itinerary (Falmouth, Grand Cayman and Cozumel).

Thanks!

From  the 3 months you are considering, I’ve sailed from Galveston both April and May, and thought the weather was ideal both months.    I’d recommend either one for you. 

Edited by BSocial
Clarify
  • Like 2

We have sailed Liberty 3 times. Twice in late October and once in April. Weather fine every cruise. We had Liberty scheduled for April 4th, but is was cancelled. Now have October 31, 2021 booked.

Great time at the Halloween Party.

• Like 1

Hurricane Harvey turned my late August cruise from a 7 day into a 12 day on Liberty out of Galveston a few years back; and canceled the cruise following ours. I have no complaints about how Royal handled everything, felt safe at every point, and I am booked on Liberty again this fall (fingers crossed we are cruising by then.) However, if everything else is the same, you have a higher chance of your itinerary going as planned in April or May.

• Like 1

We have sailed Liberty twice. Once early October the other mid Feb. October we missed Grand Cayman and Cozumel was a zoo due to a big storm that sent all the ship West instead of East. February we had no issues the day we got back it was fine getting off but by 10am fog had set in. We had no issues at IAH but people flying out of Hobby had delayed flights even into evening.