Trying to figure out how to get to Ravenna, Italy for late Sept cruise

rydersgrandpa

The train is no problem at all for us.  We have taken trains all over Europe without issue.  Grandkids really like the train more than a car. Our AirBnB is near the train station in Venice so that makes it easy also.  I looked at getting a couple of vans and drivers (13 of us) and that might be an option but have plenty of time to decide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fred111 said:

The train is no problem at all for us.  We have taken trains all over Europe without issue.  Grandkids really like the train more than a car. Our AirBnB is near the train station in Venice so that makes it easy also.  I looked at getting a couple of vans and drivers (13 of us) and that might be an option but have plenty of time to decide.

Or likely no decision at all, as the governments will remove the choices from your menu

22 hours ago, pcur said:

If the cost is anywhere near $44 per person I recommend you get a car transfer directly from your hotel in Venice, since the cost I calculated in my post above for 6 people was $88 per person roundtrip Venice-Ravenna.

What service did you get a quote from?  Most I've seen are more expensive...

The train is not a hassle for those who pack light.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2021 at 10:48 AM, pcur said:

I'm politely suggesting you think more about this.  Is the cost savings worth the inconvenience?  The whole family has to manage luggage to and on the train in Venice, off the train in Ferrara, on the train in Ferrara,  off the train in Ravenna, into the car in Ravenna, out of the car in Ravenna.

If the cost is anywhere near $44 per person I recommend you get a car transfer directly from your hotel in Venice, since the cost I calculated in my post above for 6 people was $88 per person roundtrip Venice-Ravenna.

who you are arranging the transfer with, this looks interesting to us also for next year July (party of 3) and what will be the transfer from Marco Polo to Venice?

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 2:49 PM, orla56 said:

Bologna is nearer and less travel time.You could stay over there before and after your cruise.

I read the article on here  about large  cruise ships going outside Venice to an industrial port called Marghera and I am hoping that RCI might change our sailing from Ravenna to there.

If you google it it shows from Venice you need to take a bus then a train with a change to Ravenna and then a transfer or taxi to the port.The straight transfer from Venice to Ravenna was quite expensive.

Too much of a hassle for us.

I've found the opposite was true...it's a train and there's one change of trains and only $19 USD. It's a real simple commute.

• 1 month later...

We are also booked out of Ravenna in June 2022. There will be 6 of us, 4 adults and 2 teens. We will be either arriving from Rome or Venice depending on how the trip goes. If we are coming from Rome we will likely travel to Bologna the night before. In any case we will be doing the train (unless RCL offers free transfers and we are coming from Venice). We have traveled by train all over Europe and Asia since our oldest was a newborn and I don't see it changing. We prefer the trains and find it very inexpensive for the most part. We do travel light, one small/medium suitcase and backpack per person and everyone is able to carry their own luggage (except my youngest occasionally needs a bit of help).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not booking anything yet for the trip from Venice to Ravenna.  While I don't expect a change, there is still a possibility that the cruise might start and end in the Venice commercial port area.  

We will have folks coming from all over and will meet in Venice before the cruise.  Due to the high price of flying into Venice compared to Rome, we will most likely take the train from FCO to Venice. 

I booked an Airbnb close to the train station in Venice so it would be much easier for us to take the train to Ravenna than to go all the way back to the airport and take the Royal Caribbean buses.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 4/3/2021 at 7:13 PM, Downdie said:

Hotel Italia, a two minute walk to the left from the station. A modest three star with very few amenities, but it was clean, had outstanding front desk staff, and provided an acceptable breakfast in the morning.

Hi from London Ontario.  My husband and I will be flying into Venice on Sep 29 - our Celebrity cruise departs Oct 3 from Ravenna.  Thanks for sharing your trip history.   I see that you took the train from Mestre to Ravenna .  Others suggest a car transfer - did you look at that ?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 3:36 PM, pcur said:

I would get up to 4 people from my Meet and Mingle thread here on CC, and book a private limo.  Out of curiosity, I checked this out.  I'd fly into MP and stay in Venice a few days ahead, transfer to Ravenna, the do the reverse after the cruise.  I can't get enough of Venice.

Using our family as an example, we would have 6 adults.  I'd split them into two cars 3+3.  The total cost, before tip, would be $88 per person roundtrip.  That's perfectly doable IMO.

I HATE doing multiple transfers to get anywhere:  I'm even whiney about BART that I've ridden since the 1970's.

Where did you find the private limo?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 10:48 AM, pcur said:

I'm politely suggesting you think more about this.  Is the cost savings worth the inconvenience?  The whole family has to manage luggage to and on the train in Venice, off the train in Ferrara, on the train in Ferrara,  off the train in Ravenna, into the car in Ravenna, out of the car in Ravenna.

Where did you find this car service?

3 hours ago, regg1216 said:

Where did you find this car service?

The price I found was based on a large group.  For a smaller group, or 2 people, the bus or train is the lowest cost option.  The prices have gone up significantly since I posted in April 2021.  If you get a hotel near the Piazzale Roma, there is a transportation hub there.  

Here is a web site that gives transportation options:  https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Piazzale-Roma/Ravenna

3 hours ago, pcur said:

Here is a web site that gives transportation options:  https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Piazzale-Roma/Ravenna

Please, please only use this as a starting point for ideas.  Sometimes they are right but there are so many glaring mistakes and gaps in their data that you cannot count on it.  Everything you learn from Rome2Rio should be verified by other sources.

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

Please, please only use this as a starting point for ideas.  Sometimes they are right but there are so many glaring mistakes and gaps in their data that you cannot count on it.  Everything you learn from Rome2Rio should be verified by other sources.

I meant this page to be a jumping off place that showed the different options.  I never recommended it for booking.

Disclaimer: My posts are opinions, experiences, and suggestions.  If I were writing a scientific dissertation, I would agree to exhaustive research.  But, this is a travel board, and YMMV.

Edited by pcur

Oh yes, never as a booking agent.  But even for getting ideas, they don't have everything and some of what they do have is wrong.  No one can catalog and keep updated on all of the transportation options for half of the world, as they claim.

I'm not saying don't use them, just be aware of the limitations.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

Hi again.  Just a reminder- Celebrity offers a mini bus service from Venice "people mover" directly to the Ship on day of the cruise.&can be booked thru Celebrity/your travel agent. !!  Salute !