The pirate at the end of the gangway

Mo Jito

22 hours ago, eileeshb said:

No access to the engine control room or the tailors but we did see the officers uniform being taken care of in the laundry area.  How long ago was your tour? I’m guessing the bridge and engineering areas are more likely to be off limits these days. 

Those tours were after 9/11, during the years of 2009 until ?....maybe 2016 or 2017.  During my most recent cruises, even when the tours were offered, I have not booked them

The ships were Carnival Miracle and HAL's Zuiderdam, Noordam, Westerdam, and Eurodam.  I have a Princess cookbook that was probably given as a gift at the end of a tour (would not have bought it).  The tour must have been aboard Star Princess.

Carnival Miracle's tour was unique inasmuch as the ship was heading into drydock when we returned to port.  Below decks, we were able to see the pre-drydock preparations being made by the crew.  Along the I-95 corridor and on the lower decks where we were taken, walls and decks were being lined with protective coverings that were required during the drydock.  

On 4/21/2021 at 8:53 AM, ChangeOrder said:

Oh my I love the idea of floating head pictures. This is the kind of silly thing I could send back to the kids every day. 🙂 I really hope I get to take a floating head pic at Pisa this summer.

Solo cruising is brand new for me, with the first one being (hopefully) in July. I think I'll try stopping for most of the picture stops as a way to keep me engaged, and as a way to document my trip. And I'll make a point of floating head picturing all along as well.

This is a good idea.  It's like sending your kids the picture and saying, "Look!  The Sydney Concert Hall photobombed my selfie!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Haven't been on a solo cruise, yet.  One day maybe.  But I love the photos.  My 2 sisters and I have been on a number of cruises and we buy the package.  Last cruise we got over 100 photos.  Most of the were not too bad.  And a few were pretty good.  

If I were able to do solo, especially a longer cruise, I would absolutely get the photos.  Great souvenirs.  And I would learn to take better selfies because I love that idea as well.

• Like 1

I wanted to add this photo to my previous post, but couldn't find it at the time.  It's a selfie taken at the top of St. Paul's Cathedral in London.  I climbed the 500 and something steps all by myself since sis didn't think she could make it.  No one to take my picture so I did it myself.  And it was awful.  Red, puffy travel eyes.  But, still......the top of St' Paul's.  The Millenium Bridge in the background.  I used the crop feature on my photo app to create this photo, proof I was there.  Time to get better at selfies!  IMG_0225-1.thumb.jpg.c0fbea72a452e3610ee4814a64a095c3.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Blondilu said:

I wanted to add this photo to my previous post, but couldn't find it at the time.  It's a selfie taken at the top of St. Paul's Cathedral in London.  I climbed the 500 and something steps all by myself since sis didn't think she could make it.  No one to take my picture so I did it myself.  And it was awful.  Red, puffy travel eyes.  But, still......the top of St' Paul's.  The Millenium Bridge in the background.  I used the crop feature on my photo app to create this photo, proof I was there.  Time to get better at selfies!  IMG_0225-1.thumb.jpg.c0fbea72a452e3610ee4814a64a095c3.jpg

Just tell people you were taking a shot over your shoulder, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Why tour the bridge when you can actually steer the ship? 🤪  One of my favorite photos, Windstar's Windsurf.  Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.  I get one free photo on Royal, so, always pose for the embarkation photo since it shows the ship, the date and the itinerary.  When I'm out and about in port and see a couple taking pictures of each other, I always offer to take one of them both.  They usually ask if I'd like one of myself, as well. 

mebridgebig.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

No. I've learned how to work the timer feature on my camera and phone to take photos of myself in scenic locations. I also use it when DH travels with me so I can get photos of the two of us together. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get a good shot. The great thing about digital photography is being able to see instantly whether you got a good shot or not. I usually politely decline the opportunity to have one of the ship's photographers take my photo because I know it's just a waste of their time and the printing paper.

• Like 1