Oceania Air

do it again

We have a question about Oceania Air. We are planning a trip to Tahiti with Oceania , flying out of Toronto, Canada to Tahiti & then sail back to LAX  and wondering about the air. Has anyone flown out of Toronto, Canada to Tahiti. What route & Air Line did Oceania put you on from Toronto, Canada?  Also the route & Air Line from LAX back to Toronto, Canada?

Thanks for your help

1 hour ago, do it again said:

We have a question about Oceania Air. We are planning a trip to Tahiti with Oceania , flying out of Toronto, Canada to Tahiti & then sail back to LAX  and wondering about the air. Has anyone flown out of Toronto, Canada to Tahiti. What route & Air Line did Oceania put you on from Toronto, Canada?  Also the route & Air Line from LAX back to Toronto, Canada?

Thanks for your help

I would post on the Oceania forum

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/29-oceania-cruises/

It might  be AC to LAX then Air Tahiti Nui

LAX  -YYZ on AC

Just guessing though

1 hour ago, do it again said:

Thanks for your help

@do it again

Howdy! emo22.gif

Thank you for starting your thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum for general questions regarding cruising. 👍 

Since your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line, I have moved your thread to the Oceania Cruises forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed Oceania & used Oceania Air frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find  your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

I suggest you Follow this thread so you will be aware of any replies. 

• Click Follow at the top of the topic
  • Choose how you would like to be alerted:    
    • One email per day with all new content from that day
    • One email per week with all new content from that week
    • Do not send me any notifications
    •  Let others see that I follow this
  • Save your choices by clicking the Follow button at the bottom of the list.
  • Please note: If you are a new member, your preference is set to automatically follow any topic that you start or reply to.  You will receive an email and notification when any new content is posted to your followed topics.  You can always change your preferences by clicking on your member name and choosing Manage Followed Content from the drop down menu.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I would post on the Oceania forum

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/29-oceania-cruises/

It might  be AC to LAX then Air Tahiti Nui

LAX  -YYZ on AC

Just guessing though

Most likely routing.

Or it could be AC to SFO and then UA to Tahiti. I would prefer that routing plus you can earn miles on AC all the way.

The last time we did Oceania Tahiti, 2 years ago, our travel agent warned us not to use O air. The reason being that O buys a block of seats on Air Tahiti Nui out of LAX. The flight was same day, arrived at 8:30pm and the ship was to sail the same day at 9pm. The people who took the flight arrived just as the ship set sail, had to unpack at 10 pm, and be ready for a tour the next day.

With all the changes since COVID, who knows how it'll be by the time you cruise. There are two many variables. But I'd not take O's air. United runs some great specials out of SFO. Fly in a day early, adjust to island time and start your cruise on the right foot.

It has been a while but we used Oceania air with the deviation and chose our own flights arriving early and staying on Moorea afterwards. We came from the east coast on a domestic flight and transferred to Air Tahiti Nui in Los Angeles. Those that used O air came in late the day of sailing. At that time time, O put you on Air Tahiti Nui or one of their charters. Response to the charter wasn't great. As previously mentioned, if you can do it then come in a day or two early and get acclimated.  All of this may have changed. 

Also, flight back home from Tahiti leave late at night. The airport doesn't open with facilities until 2 hours before flights. Our ship overnighted in Tahiti on the last day. Our knowledgeable friends left that night and caught their flights. This move eliminated waiting around in Tahiti the next day for the late flights since you have to get off the ship at 9 am. Moorea is just a ferry ride away and is very nice to speed some time there after the cruise ends. 

Also be aware that, in the past, Oceania sometimes opted to charter a flight out of LAX. Seems to me that plane arrived around 7:00 a.m., the day of embarking. It then picked up those disembarking and left out 11:00ish back to LAX.

People would drop their bags at the ship and wander around town, or do a day room at one of the hotels.

9 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Most likely routing.

Or it could be AC to SFO and then UA to Tahiti. I would prefer that routing plus you can earn miles on AC all the way.

Thanks Paul  I was just guessing for the OP    that  they would fly them to LAX

That is what they are doing for our friends in Alberta 

Oceania Air rarely, if ever, uses the  UA flight out of SF. The reason is that flight only goes 2-3 days per week. If those days don’t align with O’s cruise schedule then it’s not possible for them to do so. 

Additionally, those UA flights almost always sell out with UA rarely discounting seats. They don’t need to sell bulk rate seats on those limited seasonal flights.

FWIW, we took those flights in BC and arrived 4 days pre cruise a had a wonderful time in Moorea. 

In addition to the charter, Air Tahiti Nui, Air France runs a daily flight out of LAX also that O Air has used in the past. It’s schedule is very similar to the charter flight I referenced. I, in no way, recommend this option. There are numerous horror stories about it. However, some lovers of Delta Airlines find it an acceptable option.

OP

When the time comes  & the flight schedules are  open  I would check 

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#search:

Check  maybe to fly in early to relax

I see at this point UA  does fly  from YYZ to PPT via SFO   outbound on AC  to SFO  in Feb 2022

LAX to YYZ  on AC

could be different  for when you cruise

In any case I would weigh your options

1) take the air credit (discount) book your own flights

2) take O air for  cruise dates

3) take O air  pay the deviation fly in early & choose the flights you want

JMO

We're booked on Regatta next April and have the same dilemma, my booking was made with an O personal planner.  He was quite clear that if we take O air we will most certainly be flying on Air Tahiti Nui from LAX even though our home airport is SFO.  We can, of course, pay for an air deviation and attempt the UA flight but as a "standard" I was told in no uncertain terms it WILL be LAX.  

I have no idea whether flying out of Canada unlocks additional options, nor do I have any way to know whether the message I received is wholly accurate or not.  But I must say it was delivered emphatically.

I feel obligated to mention the low cost carrier French Bee who had been operating from Paris - SFO - PPT something like 3 days a week, you'd have to decide whether you are willing to risk a startup / low cost airline.  BUT their one way semi-business (really more like premium economy) fares are way, way lower than anybody else.  Whether the risks outweigh the savings you'll have to judge but they are another option.   Flight leaves SFO around midnight arriving at PPT about 6AM.   French Bee are flying brand new Airbus A350's.  Service reports were mixed pre pandemic.  

15 minutes ago, jondfk said:

We're booked on Regatta next April and have the same dilemma, my booking was made with an O personal planner.  He was quite clear that if we take O air we will most certainly be flying on Air Tahiti Nui from LAX even though our home airport is SFO.  We can, of course, pay for an air deviation and attempt the UA flight but as a "standard" I was told in no uncertain terms it WILL be LAX.  

You can cancel the Oceania air option & do your own booking

fly when & with the airline/routing you want

36 minutes ago, jondfk said:

As I said earlier, 2 years ago I sailed Papeete- LA. I was warned not to do O air because the seats bought on the ATN flight by O, or their charter get you in on day of sailing at 8:30 pm. Ship sails at 9pm.  Wasn't acceptable. At the time O air was less expensive with the additional deviation fee than purchasing myself.

I would either get O air with a deviation or buy your own.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

As I said earlier, 2 years ago I sailed Papeete- LA. I was warned not to do O air because the seats bought on the ATN flight by O, or their charter get you in on day of sailing at 8:30 pm. Ship sails at 9pm.  Wasn't acceptable. At the time O air was less expensive with the additional deviation fee than purchasing myself.

I would either get O air with a deviation or buy your own.

As I pointed out earlier, Oceania also sometimes does a totally charted flight out of LAX. For that flight, the plane arrived at 7:00 am morning of the cruise. It departed around 11:00 am with cruisers that had Disembarked.

That charter, for our 2019 cruise, was a United chartered plane. 

Oceania takes different paths based on their needs.

Edited by pinotlover

23 hours ago, do it again said:

Thanks for your help

We did this from Vancouver a few years ago and flew AC to LAX and then Air Tahiti Nui charter to Papeete. Arrived early evening and managed to get ourselves organized and onto a taxi which whizzed us to the ship ASAP (I think she was trying to maximize her trips) Very efficient, very safe, and much cheaper than Oceania's transfer. The return was the the same airlines.

So I am imagining that your routing might be AC Toronto to LAX and then the charter to Papeete. But, I saw mention of an Air France flight from Paris to Vancouver and then direct to Papeete. It is an unknown on how airline schedules might work out when you are going though. It might pay to check your preferred routing and see if Oceania would agree. Here on the western Canadian coast, we have so little choice...

Good luck,

Mia

We were concerned about the scheduled late arrival of the flight, but there was no problem, the ship waited for us as it was an Oceania charter.

Edited by marylovestotravel
missed info

On 4/5/2021 at 6:56 AM, pinotlover said:

In addition to the charter, Air Tahiti Nui, Air France runs a daily flight out of LAX also that O Air has used in the past. It’s schedule is very similar to the charter flight I referenced. I, in no way, recommend this option. There are numerous horror stories about it. However, some lovers of Delta Airlines find it an acceptable option.

Can you tell us the gist of some of the Air France horror stories please? Service? plane delays? condition of aircraft? Seating? etc.  Not a Delta or AF standard bearer; but, I do like thst the AF flights is scheduled for a early morning arrival and we (tentatively) have a 1300, embarkation time.

29 minutes ago, USNA 72 said:

Can you tell us the gist of some of the Air France horror stories please? Service? plane delays? condition of aircraft? Seating? etc.  Not a Delta or AF standard bearer; but, I do like thst the AF flights is scheduled for a early morning arrival and we (tentatively) have a 1300, embarkation time.

A long history of late flights, 10,12,18 hrs late. Horrible service . 

Most cruises out of Papeete do embark at 13:00 but spend the night in PPT and leave early morning for Moorea. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

A long history of late flights, 10,12,18 hrs late. Horrible service . 

Most cruises out of Papeete do embark at 13:00 but spend the night in PPT and leave early morning for Moorea. 

OK, thanks.  Our cruise departs at 2300 for Raiatea.  So, the ATN scheduled flights that arrive at 2230, cut it a bit close and I would rather not come in a whole day early.  That's why I was considering the Delta/AF flight.  That said, 18 hours late is a bit too much risk.

• 1 month later...

If you book an Oceania hotel the night before a cruise, do they waive the air deviation charge?

If so, the cost of an Oceania, over-priced hotel could be partially offset and it may allow for some better carriers or flights.

Do you pay air deviation coming and going? Or is it only one charge pp?

47 minutes ago, Robjame said:

If you book an Oceania hotel the night before a cruise, do they waive the air deviation charge?

If so, the cost of an Oceania, over-priced hotel could be partially offset and it may allow for some better carriers or flights.

Do you pay air deviation coming and going? Or is it only one charge pp?

I think I've read that they do. Keep in mind the hotel cost is per person, which makes it really high. The deviation fee covers both ends of the trip. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORV said:

The deviation fee covers both ends of the trip. 

just to add

If the flights are arranged at the same time

If you book one way  then come back next week & do the return the Deviation fee will be charged again

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

just to add

If the flights are arranged at the same time

If you book one way  then come back next week & do the return the Deviation fee will be charged again

I did not know that as I've always made my choices at the same time. I have multiple times only used it on the front or back end, and there is a full deviation charge. 

Air credit is not always half, depends on the airport that you are using. For example if you take a transatlantic and use the air to Barcelona, then come back on the ship to Miami, but don't use O air to go home, then you definitely will not get half of the air credit. Or least least that has been my experience. 

4 minutes ago, ORV said:

I did not know that as I've always made my choices at the same time. I have multiple times only used it on the front or back end, and there is a full deviation charge. 

The reason I know is I was going to book the outbound flight  but  O did not have their contracts  in place for the return dates 

So my wonderful TA suggested to wait   as there  would be the extra fee

Not sure how it would work if  O  does not charge the fee  at the certain O Club level

Thank you Orv and LHT -  I can always count on getting good advice on this forum.

We are booked on the Miami to Venice, March 2022.

We always want to be in the embarkation city at least a day ahead. My thoughts are if we book the Oceania hotel for the "night before" in Miami, the money saved on the waived deviation fee ($249 pp cdn) plus the free transfer airport to hotel, plus the free transfer hotel to ship, will make up the inflated price of the hotel. As well it will allow us to stay in Italy with a deviated air home.