Enchanted Princess starts with 7-night cruises out of Piraeus, Athens this summer!

I saw that, you have to wonder what Princess is thinking?   Waiting to see if Italy gets their act together enough to allow cruising?  My cruise isn't until Nov. what about other ones, July and August aren't far away.  Mid-April, people making flight and hotel plans based on Rome, I'm sure.  It is interesting.

Assuming that Piraeus embarkation could be correct, if anyone at Princess EZAIR is awake, I need the following flights to replace the FCO ones ......

BWI-JFK DL 5443 12:52 - 14:15 CRJ

JFK-ATH DL 0202 17:15 - 10:00 330

ATH-JFK DL 0213 14:30 - 18:35 330

JFK-BWI DL 4793  21:29 - 22:57 CRJ

First Class would be nice as a courtesy .... 

2 hours ago, susancruzs said:

I saw that, you have to wonder what Princess is thinking?   Waiting to see if Italy gets their act together enough to allow cruising?  My cruise isn't until Nov. what about other ones, July and August aren't far away.  Mid-April, people making flight and hotel plans based on Rome, I'm sure.  It is interesting.

Some are making arrangements for September out of Rome already. We have Princess ezair flights reserved, so it should not be too much hassle to change if needed. I will wait on hotels and excursions for a while. I'm sure most July folks have hotels etc. already booked.

From The Guardian UK 14 Apr 2021 .....

Greece will take a first step towards reopening its tourism industry by dropping quarantine rules for travelers from more than 30 nations if they have been vaccinated or tested negative for Covid-19. From next week, incoming citizens from across the European Union and five other countries, including the UK, will no longer be required to self-isolate, officials said. The new regime is expected to come into effect on 19 April, in the run-up to the country formally reopening its tourism sector from mid-May.

“They are baby steps before the country opens as planned for tourists on 14 May,” a senior tourism ministry official said. “Nine airports will open at the same time that the restriction is lifted.” Passengers from the 27-member EU, as well as the US, Britain, Serbia, Israel and the United Arab Emirates, will be able to fly into airports in popular destinations without being forced to go into isolation on arrival – provided they meet the conditions.

Princess can now get US and UK passengers to the ship in Piraeus via Athens airport this summer and fall if they meet the conditions set down by Greek authorities. Among the many remaining questions, however, is, can they get us directly back home at the end of the voyage? Perhaps an onboard PCR test included in the COVID19 protocol could work.

16 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Princess can now get US and UK passengers to the ship in Piraeus via Athens airport this summer and fall if they meet the conditions set down by Greek authorities. Among the many remaining questions, however, is, can they get us directly back home at the end of the voyage? Perhaps an onboard PCR test included in the COVID19 protocol could work.

Would love to fly out for an Enchanted Princess cruise but would be too risky for us. Greece still has a fairly high infection rate and only 10% of the population has received their first vaccination. I know they  are desperate to get tourists back but you wouldn't want to be stuck in a country's hospital system while they are still managing their own issues. I know we will be vaccinated but prefer to stay local while we understand it's efficacy/longevity.

Edited by dides

41 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Another question .... will Princess require all guests and crew to be fully vaccinated for all Piraeus embarkations?

who knows?....and I noticed the other day that Terminal B is in a blacked-out area on Google Earth, and another website noted that you should not attempt to walk into town from there.

We are hoping that Princess will tell us what they are planning.

30 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

who knows?....and I noticed the other day that Terminal B is in a blacked-out area on Google Earth, and another website noted that you should not attempt to walk into town from there.

We are hoping that Princess will tell us what they are planning.

The blacked out area maybe where the Greek Navy have their quarters. I recall seeing Naval personal walking around in an area adjacent to where we were birthed on Royal Princess. 

It’s a fair walk into town from there too. Most of the buildings around the port are business premises. If you want shops and malls they are further away, unlike the Naples cruise terminal which is minutes away from the main shopping street.

Edited by Esprit

16 minutes ago, Esprit said:

The blacked out area maybe where the Greek Navy have their quarters. I recall seeing Naval personal walking around in an area adjacent to where we were birthed on Royal Princess. 

It’s a fair walk into town from there too. Most of the buildings around the port are business premises. If you want shops and malls they are further away, unlike the Naples cruise terminal which is minutes away from the main shopping street.

Thanks....I  had assumed that area was Navy....right about Naples....very convenient.

9 hours ago, snouff said:

I checked the Piraeus Port Scheduler for August, September and October and only shows one October date for Enchanted.  As much as I would like to go to Athens, I just don't see it happening.

I see it scheduled at least 4 times in October....10,17,24 and 31

This is just my thought, don't take it as gospel.  Athens might be set up as an alternative in case things in Italy aren't going well with the virus, cruises starting.  Dates are listed on an Excel spreadsheet at the Athens port website.  Princess has a plan in case they do have to cancel cruises leaving from Rome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, susancruzs said:

This is just my thought, don't take it as gospel.  Athens might be set up as an alternative in case things in Italy aren't going well with the virus, cruises starting.  Dates are listed on an Excel spreadsheet at the Athens port website.  Princess has a plan in case they do have to cancel cruises leaving from Rome.

I agree. I think Princess are covering all bases. Waiting tiosee which country is more viable to sail from.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, susancruzs said:

I think you may be into something. Unfortunately, not what we ( DH, DS, and DBIL wan ted. Darn!!!

• Like 1

I see what you are all discussing, but I just ordered our Ocean Medallions for the July3,2021 cruise and they are showing departure from Civitavecchia. It’s getting close to have to rearrange European air which is quite unsettled now.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wineglass said:

I see what you are all discussing, but I just ordered our Ocean Medallions for the July3,2021 cruise and they are showing departure from Civitavecchia. It’s getting close to have to rearrange European air which is quite unsettled now.

There have been some hints this week that the July 31st Regal Princess 3 nighter coastal cruise from Southampton will be the first MedallionClass ship in the line to sail after the pause. Yet there are still a bunch of other July itineraries like yours still available to book....

Edited by dides

So, I just went to the port schedules for Civitavecchia (Rome) and Piraeus (Athens) and the Enchanted Princess appears on the one for Athens, not Rome. So.............. when does Princess plan on telling us about this change? This truly is a deal breaker for us and my DS and BIL. Here are the links:

Not departing from Rome, makes it very difficult to stay in Rome for 5 nights before the cruise which was one of our main goals!

http://crew-center.com/civitavecchia-rome-cruise-ships-schedule-july-december-2021

https://cruisedig.com/ships/enchanted-princess

Following this thread as we are looking to cruise again with Princess ASAP and Enchanted in July would suit us well.

Thanks for all the research. We are based in Switzerland so Civitavecchia is a very convenient train journey for us with no flying.. From experience of sailing from there and Piraeus quite often we much prefer Civitavecchia although Piraeus has been modernized recently.

Interestingly and as already commented on by others Princess US website is still offering the Rome round trip sailings for July onwards, but there is a Princess Website dedicated to Switzerland and from there Enchanted sailings are not showing at all until August 31.

Guess we just have to sit it out until Italy and Greece have opened up more. Hoping also that there will be last minute deals to fill the ships but who knows in the current climate.

Nini is right, almost May, people need to know.  I checked actual website for the port.  There was one cruise listed for the Enchanted for July, the 17th, but nothing for a return on the 24th, which makes me wonder if they just forgot to remove it.

Edited by susancruzs

3 hours ago, susancruzs said:

Nini is right, almost May, people need to know.  I checked actual website for the port.  There was one cruise listed for the Enchanted for July, the 17th, but nothing for a return on the 24th, which makes me wonder if they just forgot to remove it.

The 24th is the day we are supposed to return from our 14 night cruise!

Tuesdays seem to be the common days for cruise announcements.