Air Promo 2nd passenger flies free

CruiseDuck

We have recently booked a cruise for May 22 2022 from London to Reykjavik, Iceland. Our cruise promotion includes an air promo for a free flight for the 2nd passenger. We want to stay a few days in Reykjavik, Iceland so we asked the Norwegian Rep if we could do that with our flight. She was rather unclear on if we can extend our time. We will ask again but thought I would check here and see what others have experienced if they could go early and visit the departure location a few days early or stay at the end of the cruise and few days before flying home. 

For the days prior or after the cruise, in the past, it has been possible to book 1-2 days either end of the cruise. There has been a "Deviation fee" of $25 per person per day.  

If you decide to do this, you'll need to let NCL know that you will not require the transfer fees to/from the airport so that they can remove those charges. (my rep knew enough to remove them immediately)

Can it be done? It surely has been in the past so I would think it can be for you as well. 

Good luck and enjoy your cruise. 

• Thanks 1

Did you check their price vs market?  One I checked yesterday was $900 for two three hours away for airport.  Airport close to home $1,000.  I'd pay the difference to know times and not drive the extra.

We booked an Iceland cruise on 8/14/22 with the air offer.

We had a similar itinerary cruise that has been cancelled and we had purchased our airfare independently.

the invoice this time for air is $799 for DH and I go free, so essentially $400 pp.  that is dramatically below what we paid for our now cancelled flight for June.

• Like 1

The information on this is contained within the T&C's of the promotion.  first result on a Google search for NCL promotional terms and conditions...

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Deviation Requests:

• Deviation requests up to 2 days pre/post cruise will be credited $25 USD per person per deviation for guests 1 and 3-8 on the reservation. No other deviation requests will be permitted.
  • Date deviations can be added up to 75 days prior to embarkation; once flight is ticketed, date deviations can no longer be requested.
  • Secondary land package must be selected.
  • Deviation requests will not be permitted on any Norwegian Jewel sailing leg that embarks or debarks to/from Papeete, Tahiti.
  • Hotel add-on is not required for deviation request to apply.
  • Deviation credit is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Edited by hallux
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2021 at 9:19 PM, All-ready2cruise said:

There has been a "Deviation fee" of $25 per person per day.  

Actually it is not per day, it is $25 per deviation.   On our Iceland trip we will go in one day early @$25 per person, in Rey. We will stay over two nights and it is still $25 per person.  But get this, when my PCC was inputting the deviation info, they discounted the Rey. Deviation but 50%.  PCC said she’d never seen it do that but, hey, I’ll take it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Actually it is not per day, it is $25 per deviation.   On our Iceland trip we will go in one day early @$25 per person, in Rey. We will stay over two nights and it is still $25 per person.  But get this, when my PCC was inputting the deviation info, they discounted the Rey. Deviation but 50%.  PCC said she’d never seen it do that but, hey, I’ll take it.

It's a credit of $25 not a charge:

• Deviation requests up to 2 days pre/post cruise will be credited $25 USD per person per deviation for guests 1 and 3-8 on the reservation. No other deviation requests will be permitted.

Because the 2nd traveler is flying for free the credit isn't applied to that guest.

• Like 1

I drive 2 hours to an airport for the NCL perk, but that's because I live in a different state than my traveler 2. That airport is a reasonable drive for us both and we save $$$ with the NCL perk. The first time I used it we flew a major US airline nonstop to our destination in Europe. I have no hesitation using it again: 2 adults to Europe $799 works for me.

49 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

It's a credit of $25 not a charge:

Because the 2nd traveler is flying for free the credit isn't applied to that guest.

Thats not what happened with us.  It was a charge to both of us, on both deviations.  Need to check with my PCC.

Some are saying it's a US$25 deviation charge and some are saying credit.  When I asked my TA, it is a charge (not a credit) to us.

For a San Diego to Panama cruise, we had wanted to fly to SAN 2 days before, but was told if we take the free airfare for 2nd guest, no deviation is allowed.  Looking at the flights Toronto to San Diego, the cheapest flights are 6am with connection rather than the nonstop flight.  So I'm thinking to not take the free air, and just pay a deviation fee to use our credit card buddy pass (free buddy airfare).  

If we get the 6am flight it'd mean we need to wake up between 2-3am, that'll make for an exhausting first day of travel and make us tired for the first couple of days.  No thanks.

I have found this credit or debit thing intriguing. I had NCL on-line chat send me the terms and conditions on Sunday as for the life of me I couldn't find them on the site, and it was as quoted above to be "credit". 

On one hand a "credit" seemed counterintuitive, but then I thought maybe they give a small credit as a flight a day or 2 early or late has more wiggly room for flights options and potential delays so might be preferable for them.

it's not a deal maker or breaker either way, but I am curious!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rodndonna said:

as for the life of me I couldn't find them on the site, and it was as quoted above to be "credit". 

Google "NCL promotional terms and conditions", the first result is the T&C's for all current promotions including the airfare promotion...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hallux said:

Google "NCL promotional terms and conditions", the first result is the T&C's for all current promotions including the airfare promotion...

I have been  checking that page but I don't find it in that page -just terms for all the other promos. I have even tried "find" of the words for that promo in that page (thinking I am just blind) but it doesn't seem to be included. At first I thought it had just been pulled on Sunday (as in theory it was expiring the next day), but now I think it is maybe because I get the NCL Canadian content site. We do seem to get the promo though ... so still a mystery. 

18 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I have been  checking that page but I don't find it in that page

Maybe your Canada page is different from our US page?  The header for the section is in bold letters.

BUY AIRFARE FOR FIRST GUEST, SECOND GUEST FLIES FREE

(copied from the page, I'm not yelling at you)

The deviation request part is a sub-section...

Here is the page I'm looking at - https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

5 minutes ago, hallux said:

Maybe your Canada page is different from our US page?  The header for the section is in bold letters.

BUY AIRFARE FOR FIRST GUEST, SECOND GUEST FLIES FREE

(copied from the page, I'm not yelling at you)

The deviation request part is a sub-section...

Here is the page I'm looking at - https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Yup - just checked again with the phrase "SECOND GUEST FLIES FREE" and no finds ..

our site is ncl.com/ca/en.termsand ..... (not sure of the hyperlink below will revert to US version)

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/termsandconditions/promotions

unfortunately if I clock your hyperlink -I still redirect to the Canadian site.

I have hear that it is not valid for Australian bookings so maybe we have their page.

Edited by rodndonna

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

unfortunately if I clock your hyperlink -I still redirect to the Canadian site.

Ahh, different countries, different terms or promos..

Edited by hallux

32 minutes ago, hallux said:

Ahh, different countries, different terms or promos..

Yeah - but oddly from Canada I was able to book and get the promo through NCL site - just no direct access to the terms and conditions for the promo from the site - strange. 

Yea, I use a VPN to browse the US site. For these T&Cs this whole section is missing on the Canadian site: 

BUY AIRFARE FOR FIRST GUEST, SECOND GUEST FLIES FREE - SELECT 4+ DAY CRUISES
Booking Window: February 10, 2021 - Capacity Controlled

Terms & Conditions
Offer is not applicable to categories IX, OX, BX or MX (Sail Away Categories).
Offer is not applicable to 1-3 night sailings.
Applicable to guests 1-2 on reservation. Offer is not applicable to guests 3-8 as guest will pay full promotional airfare amount.
Offer is for new individual FIT reservations.
Qualifying new individual FIT reservations can be moved into an existing FS or Traditional group and count towards tour conductor credits.
Promotion can be held as a new Traditional or FS Affinity group.
Promotion is applicable to Traditional Groups/Type: Affinity.
Promotion is applicable to FS Groups: Affinity.
Reservation needs to be materialized (converted from RQ to OF) within booking window to qualify.
Promotion is not applicable to Traditional Groups/Type: Nettour, NettourC, CHARTERS, CMI OP EVENT, CMI OP LG EVENT, INCREG & INCLARGE.
Promotion is not applicable to FS Groups: Nettour or NettourC (classification type).
Offer is not combinable with charter or inaugural sailings.
Singles paying 200% of voyage fare qualify.
Anything consumed above the promotional benefit will be the responsibility of the guest at prevailing rates.
Government taxes, port expenses & fees, discretionary onboard service charges and/or gratuities are additional.
Cancellation Fees also apply based on the booking/sailing date; therefore, Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends the purchase of travel protection on all bookings.
No components included in this offer have any monetary value, are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Offer and combinability with other promotional offers is subject to change at any time per Norwegian Cruise Line's discretion. Other restrictions may apply.
Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to cancel or withdraw this offer at any time.
Applicable to NCL MIAMI. Not applicable to NCL INTL, AUSTRALIA, NCL BRAZIL, NCL MEA, NCL ASIA or CE and UK offices.

Promotional Air Offer
Reservation must be made more than 90 days prior to sailing to qualify; with the exception of the following ships/sailings which have 60 days:

• Gem 8/9/21-10/17/21; Jade 7/20/21-11/7/21 and Joy 8/1/21-10/16/21

Guests who choose round-trip flights will be considered Guest 1 and subject to full promotional airfare amount.
Guests may request a one-way air itinerary; in which case they will be charged 50% of the applicable promotional air pricing for the selected gateway.   
Land packages (hotels), date deviations and cruise tours must be added no later than 75 days prior to embarkation
Air offer applies to economy, round-trip flights from select departure gateways only and will automatically apply.
Air gateway(s) must be entered in order to prompt the promotional airfare.
See "Gateways & Pricing" tab for the applicable list of gateways and promotional air pricing.
Air gateways are capacity controlled and subject to availability.
Offer is valid on select holiday sailings:

• Holiday sailings will receive an increased airfare rate.

Blackout sail dates are at the discretion of Norwegian Cruise Line.
Deviation Requests:

• Date deviations can be added up to 75 days prior to embarkation; once flight is ticketed, date deviations can no longer be requested.
  • Secondary land package must be selected.
  • Deviation requests will not be permitted on any Norwegian Jewel sailing leg that embarks or debarks to/from Papeete, Tahiti.
  • Hotel add-on is not required for deviation request to apply.
  • Deviation credit is non-refundable and non-transferable.

Offer includes air taxes, fees & surcharges.
Guests are responsible for airport transfers at an additional cost if selected.
Airline imposed personal charges such as baggage fees may apply.
All guests booked within a singular reservation will be booked on the same flight.
The Travel With Guarantee program ensures that eligible guests on different reservations are booked on the same flight:

• A maximum of four reservations per Travel With group.
  • A non-refundable fee of $25 per person applies to all guests in the cabin (who are two years or older).
  • Air cannot be ticketed for any of the guests in the Travel with group.
  • Guests may revise their Travel-With-Guarantee group up to 75 days prior to embarkation.
  • All eligible guests in the Travel-With-Guarantee group must be booked through Norwegian on the same: ship/sail dates, flight itinerary, date deviations and depart from the same gateways in order to qualify.

For Domestic flights, Norwegian Cruise Line will book guests' airfare with a maximum of one connection when possible; air schedules permitting.
For International flights, Norwegian Cruise Line will book guests' airfare with a maximum of two connections when possible; air schedules permitting.
Norwegian Cruise Line reserves the right to select an alternate airport within 60 miles based on itinerary, choose the air carrier, routing and city airport from each gateway city and reserves the right to substitute commuter service and/or charter air service for scheduled air carriers without prior notice.

• Thanks 1

That explains it.  I'm from Canada.  Someone else also responded to one of my post earlier quoting the T&C, and I checked and checked but couldn't find that said info.

So for Canadian bookings, the deviation is a "fee".  A charge, not a credit.

40 minutes ago, Middleager said:

That explains it.  I'm from Canada.  Someone else also responded to one of my post earlier quoting the T&C, and I checked and checked but couldn't find that said info.

So for Canadian bookings, the deviation is a "fee".  A charge, not a credit.

Did your TA provide something with the T&C or was it verbal?

We just booked this morning but did so on-line (NCL site) so have no written T&C that apples to us. Not a big deal since the cruise is March 2023, just a curiosity. I wonder if for us Canucks, it will  vary by cruise?

3 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Did your TA provide something with the T&C or was it verbal?

We just booked this morning but did so on-line (NCL site) so have no written T&C that apples to us. Not a big deal since the cruise is March 2023, just a curiosity. I wonder if for us Canucks, it will  vary by cruise?

The TA in email says "2 night post deviation is available if interested it's $33.47 CAD per person.".  No T&C quoted.

In an earlier email, the word "fee" was used.  To me fee means a charge, not a credit.

On 4/13/2021 at 4:44 PM, Middleager said:

The TA in email says "2 night post deviation is available if interested it's $33.47 CAD per person.".  No T&C quoted.

In an earlier email, the word "fee" was used.  To me fee means a charge, not a credit.

Go to the ncl.com site and read the T&Cs for yourself, in Canada. What I posted was directly from ncl.com, in the US.