Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

1 hour ago, Triptkr said:

Oh, for those of you that forgot what it looks like or don't know...the famous waffles!

20210616_075202.jpg

Now for lunch try the liverposti . It is the Danish meatloaf  with bacon on top and hot. 
I plan on having it again in July Bermuda  sailing. My Bestamor made it and ground her own meat for it.Viking  version is good.

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

@tript8ker - Love Mamsens! Had to buy the cup so I'd have a piece of Viking Ocean in my house.

20191229_075843~3.jpg

So cool!  We wished we'd bought one last time, so we have it down as our top purchase this June 29 Bermuda cruise!  Hope they still have them for sale!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

Now for lunch try the liverposti . It is the Danish meatloaf  with bacon on top and hot. 
I plan on having it again in July Bermuda  sailing. My Bestamor made it and ground her own meat for it.Viking  version is good.

But no liver?🤞

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I saw this too. It was organized by the administrator of one of the groups over there. I asked how he did it and he didn’t answer that directly but suggested I speak with the restaurant manager once onboard.  I suspect he did something ahead of time given it appeared they had passed hors d’ouvres in Torshaven and then all sat together in The Restaurant. 

It will be interesting to see what transpires on your cruise.  Please post any suggestions for those sailing in Iceland later if you are able to set up any sort of meet & greet/mingle. 

He said "I asked", I believe when someone asked him today. He had a gathering with appetizers and drinks, and then large tables in the Restaurant. He brought the name tags. He also moved to the Owners Suite and had 10 people (I think) in for tea for 2 and a half hours and then had meals delivered from the Restaurant to the Suite for dinner for either 6 or 10 people. My numbers may be off, I'd have to go look at the posts, but I think that's what you are all referring to.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

He said "I asked", I believe when someone asked him today. He had a gathering with appetizers and drinks, and then large tables in the Restaurant. He brought the name tags. He also moved to the Owners Suite and had 10 people (I think) in for tea for 2 and a half hours and then had meals delivered from the Restaurant to the Suite for dinner for either 6 or 10 people. My numbers may be off, I'd have to go look at the posts, but I think that's what you are all referring to.

I haven’t seen him post that. What he responded to one poster who asked how he did it, is basically what he responded to me.  See below. I read it as advice, not an answer as to what he did. 

B7CFB9CF-B9B1-4AFF-A1C1-75FC7D014026.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I haven’t seen him post that. What he responded to one poster who asked how he did it, is basically what he responded to me.  See below. I read it as advice, not an answer as to what he did. 

B7CFB9CF-B9B1-4AFF-A1C1-75FC7D014026.jpeg

How did you arrange the party?  Did they serve you food and drinks or was it just a room?  

I asked.

Here was the question and answer today about 12 hours ago under his post with a picture of one of the servers holding hors d'oeuvres. Server had a mask on. None of the passengers in the pictures did, but they were eating and drinking.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Sounds like me!  We traveled for two years but then Lady Rona put a stop to that😢

The blog is still there and I post occasionally but due to the cost of storing photos, any new posts are words only. We do have an Instagram account where we currently post pictures of our boring retirement activities but intend to use like a blog when we leave fir Iceland on July 9th.  Links are in my signature if you want to live vicariously 😂

Sorry you won’t be able to be welcomed back but hopefully you will healed and able to cruise again soon. 

I saw a lot of your posts when you were traveling in Europe.  I think you took the TA on Viking Sky from San Juan in March 2018 before our TA on Viking Sea from San Juan to Barcelona.  I am getting along.  Dr would not allow the flight and cruise so soon after the surgery.  Will have to plan another Viking in the future.  Hope your trip goes well.  Are you on the Bermuda Escape or the Iceland Cruise?

23 hours ago, Triptkr said:

I asked one of the Viking employees at the airport while we were standing in our 3,433,223rd line of the day how many passengers would be on board.  He said '425'. (He was checking off passengers names as they came outside to be transferred to a van and on to the ship.)

We had an awesome day in Hamilton...did the Homes and hideaways excursion.  Was relaxing and entertaining.  Then we ate lunch onboard and came back out to shop.   Got some amazing deals and the locals are quite friendly.  Was nice to chat with them and listen to their experiences and perceptions on the past year.   Found an enchanting shop called The Island Shop.  Very much recommend,  it's a boutique store with a plethora of locally made items, high quality.  Everything from jams to embroidered pillows to artwork.  

We feel fortunate to be on this sailing as we can't help but wonder how long this will last.  We hope it will be successful!  

Official total is 336 passengers as not all made it on the airplane due to not having correct test/documents. One young girl is onboard but her grandmother didn’t make it due to this issue, she told her granddaughter to go anyway. 

20 hours ago, MRGACRUZR said:

Eating and drinking...no

Pool....no

Bars....no

Elevators have capacity limits of 2 or four from same family.

Pool has capacity limit of 4 but I've seen as many as six. Remember there are very few people on this cruise...just over or under 400.

Spa has a limit of 6 and requires a reservation.

Official count is 336 passengers on board. It seems like I keep seeing the same people. 

• Like 1

So I came to Bermuda on the Newark NJ flight Tuesday. I had all my documents ready as I got off the plane. First line for information about testing and show travel authorization, I was only in this line about 5 minutes. Next up passport control, only 3 people ahead of me, stamp and go. Next pick up luggage and go to a line where Bermuda testing takes place, show documents and put luggage to one side and wait to go into area where test take place, only one person ahead of me. Test done took my luggage to a waiting Viking rep who checked my name off a list and left my luggage. Then I walked down to where the buses were waiting. They are small busses and they were not filled up just 10 on our bus, 30 minutes to Hamilton and the ship. Walk to a building have temp taken, credit card taken copy of, tracker device then x-ray carry on and on to ship where I went directly to life jacket demo, then to my room where my steward told me about my Covid test that I had to do before anything else. Spit and fill out a form daily. I received an email from Bermuda at 9:30 PM stating that my Airport test was negative and then I was free to go anywhere in Bermuda. 
Our first full day in Bermuda it rained so my snorkeling trip was cancelled. Did the pool, lunch on pool deck, spa pool later in the day,(need to make a reservation to us it for 45 minutes) went to the lounge to hear Viking Band.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have access to the e-mails for Viking senior management.  I e-mailed a couple of them to ask for an explanation as to why they'd allow 10% of the ship to bypass all the protocols they've have in place and have been promoting so heavily.

I don't know who Steve is and don't mean to rain on his parade but what has been described is not OK.  It's risky enough to be sailing right now without Viking being totally hypocritical about all they've done to ensure our safety.  If random exceptions are allowed then their is no protocol.  A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. 

I'm seriously thinking about canceling. I'm booked in the Yacht Club on the MSC Seashore out of Barcelona in October and they have a safety record and seem to adhere to their published protocols.  I only booked in July because I drank Viking's Kool-Aid about how seriously they took safety. 

I know being on a vaccinated cruise poses lower risks.  So did the two people who tested positive on the Millennium that had to be airlifted out of St. Martin.  I still work and don't have time to turn a 7 day cruise in to a 21 day adventure including14 days of quarantine. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

I have access to the e-mails for Viking senior management.  I e-mailed a couple of them to ask for an explanation as to why they'd allow 10% of the ship to bypass all the protocols they've have in place and have been promoting so heavily.

I don't know who Steve is and don't mean to rain on his parade but what has been described is not OK.  It's risky enough to be sailing right now without Viking being totally hypocritical about all they've done to ensure our safety.  If random exceptions are allowed then their is no protocol.  A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. 

I'm seriously thinking about canceling. I'm booked in the Yacht Club on the MSC Seashore out of Barcelona in October and they have a safety record and seem to adhere to their published protocols.  I only booked in July because I drank Viking's Kool-Aid about how seriously they took safety. 

I know being on a vaccinated cruise poses lower risks.  So did the two people who tested positive on the Millennium that had to be airlifted out of St. Martin.  I still work and don't have time to turn a 7 day cruise in to a 21 day adventure including14 days of quarantine. 

I will be anxious to hear if management responds!  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

Looks like others on that cruise were not affected, and the 2 who tested positive were asymptomatic. The cruise has continued.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/11/royal-caribbean-cruises-to-sail-despite-covid-cases-on-celebrity-ship.html

A far cry from the horror stories at the beginning of the pandemic. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, aussie1944 said:

I saw a lot of your posts when you were traveling in Europe.  I think you took the TA on Viking Sky from San Juan in March 2018 before our TA on Viking Sea from San Juan to Barcelona.  I am getting along.  Dr would not allow the flight and cruise so soon after the surgery.  Will have to plan another Viking in the future.  Hope your trip goes well.  Are you on the Bermuda Escape or the Iceland Cruise?

We embark Sky on July 10th in Reykjavik. Will be great to be aboard her again after being forced off on March 17, 2020 after we turned around mid-Atlantic and returned to Miami. You are right we sailed her in 2018 and then Sea in 2019 as our ride to Europe. 

Edited by Clay Clayton

2 hours ago, Triptkr said:

King's Wharf...docking now!!!😃

20210618_073755.jpg

20210618_073804.jpg

Just letting you know that it's really the Heritage Wharf, not King's Wharf ..... the latter is next door ... 😉

image.png.1af9d26f476f3e1f74367c4594759a94.png

ENJOY the reminder of your cruise!! 

Just as well you were out at sea yesterday - it poured down a lot yesterday here ... and we sure needed the rain - to "unbrown" the grass and stock up the water tanks.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 3

Does Viking provide a map of Hamilton  or the Dockyards area? Or is there a tourist desk at the ports? Now that we can come and go on these  Bermuda sailings, maps would be helpful. 

I will search Bermuda tourism  online to get the lay of the land , but the less stuff I bring with me the better.

3 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Does Viking provide a map of Hamilton  or the Dockyards area? Or is there a tourist desk at the ports? Now that we can come and go on these  Bermuda sailings, maps would be helpful. 

I will search Bermuda tourism  online to get the lay of the land , but the less stuff I bring with me the better.

Go to Bermuda Brochures, Maps & Official Visitor Guides and request the "Bermuda Destination Map.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Yup
Iceland & Malta cruises same issue.

Viking home office having a really bad comeback cruise performance.

And now they're back. Talked with a live agent who assured me the reservations were in the system, and no- you don't have to reconfirm everything on board.

5 hours ago, Respbj said:

Official total is 336 passengers as not all made it on the airplane due to not having correct test/documents. One young girl is onboard but her grandmother didn’t make it due to this issue, she told her granddaughter to go anyway. 

WOW!  That  means approximately 99 people didn't "make the cut".  I wish I know what the problem(s) were ... we have invested a great deal of time and money trying to make sure we "tick all all the boxes" ... it would be devastating to get left behind!

• Like 2