Kimberley cruises affected by NT restrictions

8 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That sounds like some serious exaggeration there. I can't imagine a season of expedition cruises, with only local Australian passengers, would result in commissions of 6 million, even with Ponant's high fares. They might hit that mark with all their proposed cruises world-wide but not a limited number of Australian ones. I call bulls..t on that!

OK, based on say 10% commission (I actually have an email from when we booked our Antartica cruise and the TA went bankrupt, they forwarded me all documentation and there was 10% commission on the email), if each passenger pays minimum $15000 that’s  $1500 commission  x200passengers -$300000 per cruise in commissions. Extrapolate that out that’s 20 cruises for 6 million commission, probably pretty accurate.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

OK, based on say 10% commission (I actually have an email from when we booked our Antartica cruise and the TA went bankrupt, they forwarded me all documentation and there was 10% commission on the email), if each passenger pays minimum $15000 that’s  $1500 commission  x200passengers -$300000 per cruise in commissions. Extrapolate that out that’s 20 cruises for 6 million commission, probably pretty accurate.

Pretty right. That is why the big operators like Chimu charter the expedition ships, making 20 to 25%. If they have to promote through TAs reduce that to 10 or 15%, tough game I can assure you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gogo65 said:

I just researched fares on Ponant and they are advertising their top suites up to $24,000 for ten day cruise.  

11 hours ago, NSWP said:

Pretty right. That is why the big operators like Chimu charter the expedition ships, making 20 to 25%. If they have to promote through TAs reduce that to 10 or 15%, tough game I can assure you.

Most would be direct I reckon, like Chimu.

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I just researched fares on Ponant and they are advertising their top suites up to $24,000 for ten day cruise.  

Yep, our basic balcony cabin is currently selling for $14k pp. Ponant do have a different pricing structure though, When the cruises are released they are 30% off then reduced to 25% and so on, so once they get down to there last cabins the prices are full fare. In saying that they have a lot of suites and even with 30% off the prices are out of my league!

2 hours ago, gogo65 said:

Yep, our basic balcony cabin is currently selling for $14k pp. Ponant do have a different pricing structure though, When the cruises are released they are 30% off then reduced to 25% and so on, so once they get down to there last cabins the prices are full fare. In saying that they have a lot of suites and even with 30% off the prices are out of my league!

So is your basic balcony cabin $14,000 or $14,000 less ?%.  I did see percentages beside the quoted prices.  

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

So is your basic balcony cabin $14,000 or $14,000 less ?%.  I did see percentages beside the quoted prices.  

Actually ours is currently $15250 with no discount. We got 30% discount off that price when we booked (plus second cruise discount). 

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

Actually ours is currently $15250 with no discount. We got 30% discount off that price when we booked (plus second cruise discount). 

Don't you just love the second cruise discount?  We got that on our Antarctica cruise with Hurtigruten.  being a long cruise it was great to get a discount on that cruise. 

23 hours ago, NSWP said:

Overpriced.🤮

Well I suppose it depends on your expectations. To be honest Ponant are one of the cheaper options for Kimberley cruises.

if you want to do it, this is what you pay...

On 4/14/2021 at 6:26 PM, MMDown Under said:

Don't you just love the second cruise discount?  We got that on our Antarctica cruise with Hurtigruten.  being a long cruise it was great to get a discount on that cruise. 

It certainly makes a difference!