Transportation from Venice Airport to Hotel

margord

What is the best way to get to the hotel from the airport?  Does anyone have a name and email of someone to reach out to in order to set up transportation for October 2021?

Thanks in advance.

Marilee

You didn't indicate the name of your hotel so it's hard to say.  Venice is about a 20 drive from the airport.  Also, can you easily manage your luggage?

If you're staying within a block or 2 of Piazzale Roma, you could take a land taxi or the ATVO airport express bus. It's about a 20 minute ride.   A taxi is about 45E and the bus about 8E.

But if you're staying further inside Venice, there are several options depending on whether or not you can manage your luggage :   take the taxi/bus to Piazzale Roma then transfer to a water bus, or, a private water taxi from the airport for about 100E, or the Alilaguna water taxi, or shared water taxi.

Yep, the answer (and best advice) can only come if we know that name of the actual hotel.  There are multiple options which vary greatly in cost (and hassles).  But I can give you a few hints about location.  If you book a hotel on the mainland (such as in Mestre) getting to the hotel is pretty easy via shuttle or land taxi.  If you book one of the few hotels (i.e. Olimpia, Ca Doge, etc) in the Piazale Roma getting to the hotel is also easy via land taxi or a fast express bus.  Booking hotels anywhere else can involve some major hassles so it is best to give this consideration before making your hotel decision.

Hank

Unfortunately, I do not know the name of the hotel--yet!  We will be on a Princess cruise tour which starts in Venice.  We want to fly in a few days in advance and stay in the same hotel where Princess will put us.  They haven't announced the name of the hotel as yet.  As soon as they do, we will book 2 nights on our own.  Since we will be on our own, we will not have the luxury of a Princess transfer.  Last time we were here Princess had us a private water taxi.  I am also thinking that managing our own luggage could be a bit hard to do so the easier the better.  Can you get a private water taxi right outside of the airport?  We are traveling with another couple so will be able to split the cost.  Is there a way to order a private water taxi ahead of time?

Marilee

1 hour ago, margord said:

Unfortunately, I do not know the name of the hotel--yet!  We will be on a Princess cruise tour which starts in Venice.  We want to fly in a few days in advance and stay in the same hotel where Princess will put us.  They haven't announced the name of the hotel as yet.  As soon as they do, we will book 2 nights on our own.  Since we will be on our own, we will not have the luxury of a Princess transfer.  Last time we were here Princess had us a private water taxi.  I am also thinking that managing our own luggage could be a bit hard to do so the easier the better.  Can you get a private water taxi right outside of the airport?  We are traveling with another couple so will be able to split the cost.  Is there a way to order a private water taxi ahead of time?

Marilee

Hi Marilee, yes, you can reserve a private water taxi.  Check out this website. It has a lot of 

really good information on transportation.....

https://www.theveniceinsider.com/how-to-guide-transportation-venice/

Keep in mind that your hotel may not have a dock so you might need to walk a block or 2 with your luggage.  You can make a reservation thru the water taxi co-op, but there isn't a need to:

Home | Veneziana Motoscafi

You might also check with your Roll Call to see if anyone would like to share the ride with you.  Or maybe just the ride FROM the hotel to the ship. 

This link provides info on how to pick up your tickets and get to the airport pier:

Venice Water Taxis (2020) (europeforvisitors.com)

Since you are using a Princess Cruise/Tour you can be sure you will not be in one of the hotels at or very close to the Piazale Roma.   Princess will almost certainly use a hotel that has it's own dock and likely use a boat transfer from the airport.  You can arrange, on your own, for a private water taxi from the airport to the same place but it will be expensive (over 120 Euros).  Getting from the airport terminal to the water taxi dock is a good 10 minute walk and you need to drag your own luggage unless you want to pay more money for somebody to help with your luggage (assuming anyone is available).  There are some watertaxi companies that will include a shuttle transfer (for you and your luggage) from the terminal to the pier but this kind of service does often add more cost.

Not knowing what is included in your Princess land package I would just point out that you might want to look at cancelling the Princess land part and just doing that yourself.  In many cases you should be able to book your own hotel for less money then you are paying Princess (the cruise lines often charge nearly double the normal price for hotels).   

Hank

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Since you are using a Princess Cruise/Tour you can be sure you will not be in one of the hotels at or very close to the Piazale Roma.   Princess will almost certainly use a hotel that has it's own dock and likely use a boat transfer from the airport.  You can arrange, on your own, for a private water taxi from the airport to the same place but it will be expensive (over 120 Euros).  Getting from the airport terminal to the water taxi dock is a good 10 minute walk and you need to drag your own luggage unless you want to pay more money for somebody to help with your luggage (assuming anyone is available).  There are some watertaxi companies that will include a shuttle transfer (for you and your luggage) from the terminal to the pier but this kind of service does often add more cost.

Not knowing what is included in your Princess land package I would just point out that you might want to look at cancelling the Princess land part and just doing that yourself.  In many cases you should be able to book your own hotel for less money then you are paying Princess (the cruise lines often charge nearly double the normal price for hotels).   

Hank

As soon as Princess posts the hotels they will be using, we will book it on our own.  I do not want to cancel Princess' land package because it takes us from Venice to Florence and then to Rome and I definitely do not want to to that on my own.  Because we want to fly in 2 days prior to the tour starting and because I know Princess will cost a lot more I plan on booking the hotel on my own.  Unfortunately, I will need to find my own transportation to the hotel from the airport.

I hope that all makes sense.

Marilee

18 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Keep in mind that your hotel may not have a dock so you might need to walk a block or 2 with your luggage.  You can make a reservation thru the water taxi co-op, but there isn't a need to:

Home | Veneziana Motoscafi

You might also check with your Roll Call to see if anyone would like to share the ride with you.  Or maybe just the ride FROM the hotel to the ship. 

This link provides info on how to pick up your tickets and get to the airport pier:

Venice Water Taxis (2020) (europeforvisitors.com)

Thanks for the information.  There will be very few people doing the cruise tour and the cruise and will plan to fly in a few days ahead of time.  However, we are traveling with another couple so will be able to split the cost..

Marilee

3 hours ago, margord said:

As soon as Princess posts the hotels they will be using, we will book it on our own.  I do not want to cancel Princess' land package because it takes us from Venice to Florence and then to Rome and I definitely do not want to to that on my own.  Because we want to fly in 2 days prior to the tour starting and because I know Princess will cost a lot more I plan on booking the hotel on my own.  Unfortunately, I will need to find my own transportation to the hotel from the airport.

I hope that all makes sense.

Marilee

Absolutely makes sense :).  The thing about Venice (a city that DW and I have oft enjoyed) is that the transportation problems (and there are many) can be overcome with money.  It truly is one of those cases where throwing a lot of Euros at the problem makes the problem not only disappear, but can turn it into fun.  In your case the easiest (and most expensive) solution will be to book a water taxi from the airport to whatever hotel is chosen.  Private water taxis are an amazing experience and lots of fun.  One other possible option (we emphasize "possible") is using the Alilaguna Line (they are a private company that runs vaporetto-like boats).  Their "Blu" line goes from the airport to various stops within Venice.  If your hotel would happen to be close to a Blu Line stop that is a pretty good option.

Speaking of private water taxis, you can reserve them online or can actually book one when you get to the airport.  

Hank

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 11:55 AM, Hlitner said:

Absolutely makes sense :).  The thing about Venice (a city that DW and I have oft enjoyed) is that the transportation problems (and there are many) can be overcome with money.  It truly is one of those cases where throwing a lot of Euros at the problem makes the problem not only disappear, but can turn it into fun.  In your case the easiest (and most expensive) solution will be to book a water taxi from the airport to whatever hotel is chosen.  Private water taxis are an amazing experience and lots of fun.  One other possible option (we emphasize "possible") is using the Alilaguna Line (they are a private company that runs vaporetto-like boats).  Their "Blu" line goes from the airport to various stops within Venice.  If your hotel would happen to be close to a Blu Line stop that is a pretty good option.

Speaking of private water taxis, you can reserve them online or can actually book one when you get to the airport.  

Hank

Thank you, Hank.

I am wondering about Venice as Cruise port. I assume the pre-cruise program might be in Venice and then you will be transported to whatever Port Princess will depart from. Cruise ships are not allowed in Venice any longer. Royal Caribbean embarks at Porto Corsini by Ravenna instead of Venice and as it looks Costa might embark in Trieste. Have not checked on Princess yet. Check Tripadvisor from whatever port or nearby city you are going to depart from there might be day tours to Venice, Florence..... at a much better rate then Princess quoted you and being 4 of you, you might even have a private tour. My kids and me have been staying in Italy in various cities and have done day trips from there easily.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:17 PM, mapleleaves said:

Which ship are you sailing ? My SIL was looking for a cruise out of Venice but didn't find anything on Princess. 

I just checked Princess to find out what port they are leaving from and all I can find in Italy is Rome. So you might get a change of Itinerary. So if you have your flights to Venice already plan for your friends and yourself 2 days in Venice and then your best bet will probably be taking a train to Rome.

We are not sailing from Venice.  We are doing what Princess calls a "cruise tour."  We start in Venice for 2 nights (which I am expanding to 4 nights, 2 on my own and 2 with Princess).  We then leave and head to Florence for 2 nights and finally Rome for 2 nights.  We will then board the Enchanted Princess.  I have fingers and toes crossed that this will actually happen.  The trip is in October which is still6 months off.  I am hoping for a lot to happen, to the good, by October.

Thanks again for all your help.

Marilee

We are doing a T/A next spring which ends in Rome. We are then flying from Rome to Venice for 4 days. Out hotel is acroos the water from the airport and we will take a water taxi, probably a private one, but maybe a group one, which the hotel can set up. We will each have a large suitcase and a roll- on. When we pack up on the ship to leave we will only pack what we feel we will need in Venice and just take our carry ons. The Venice Airport has a station called Left Luggage, they will hold your luggage for you untill you return to the airport to fly out. I believe it was either 7 Euros or $7 per piece per day. It saves from taking them to the water taxi and carting them all around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, bluecruisin said:

We are doing a T/A next spring which ends in Rome. We are then flying from Rome to Venice for 4 days. Out hotel is acroos the water from the airport and we will take a water taxi, probably a private one, but maybe a group one, which the hotel can set up. We will each have a large suitcase and a roll- on. When we pack up on the ship to leave we will only pack what we feel we will need in Venice and just take our carry ons. The Venice Airport has a station called Left Luggage, they will hold your luggage for you untill you return to the airport to fly out. I believe it was either 7 Euros or $7 per piece per day. It saves from taking them to the water taxi and carting them all around.

For Margord's benefit as well:  the last time we were in Venice there was a luggage storage place in Piazzale Roma as well.  We took the bus transport form the airport to Piazzale Roma, offloaded our big luggage, used only our carry-ons for a couple of days while we were in Venice.  We caught the nearest vaporetto and took it over to the Rialto Bridge stop and made our way on foot to our hotel.  Our cruise was actually leaving from Venice a couple of days later so we reversed course, picked up our luggage and made our way to the ship.  Regardless of what you decide to do, offloading most of your luggage while you're in Venice is the easiest way to go...unless you're okay spending a lot of money on private water taxis.

“Cruise ships are not allowed in Venice any longer. Royal Caribbean embarks at Porto Corsini by Ravenna instead of Venice and as it looks Costa might embark in Trieste. Have not checked on Princess yet. “

I came across the following, which may be of interest.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruising-changes.ht

Don't believe the hype that you read about cruise ships being banned from central Venice. Talk is cheap, but the Italian government has yet to come up with firm plans (or cash) to build a new port outside the city.

The Italian government announced on April 1, 2021 that large cruise ships are being banned from central Venice, including the existing cruise port.

The government's stated goal is to create a new artificial harbor and cruise port on the Adriatic at some unspecified time in the future, with ships using the mainland industrial port of Marghera (opposite Venice' s historic center) until a new port is built.

There are at least five major problems with this proposed solution:

First, the industrial ship channel that leads to Marghera isn't deep or wide enough for large cruise ships, and dredging it would be (a) massively expensive, (b) environmentally detrimental to the Venetian Lagoon, and (c) prohibited by law.

Second, the Marghera industrial port will require a new terminal and other infrastructure to support cruise ships.

Third, Italian law forbids operating passenger services in polluted or high-risk industrial areas such as the Marghera port.

Fourth, the Italian government has not committed to financing a new port on the Adriatic. Talk is cheap--especially in Italy, where various political and NIMBY groups have been fighting over the port for more than a decade.

Finally, Italian governments are notorious for being short-lived, and future governments won't necessarily abide by the current government's announcement.

(Side note: Proponents of a new cruise port want to locate it on the Lido di Venezia, Venice's beach resort. This idea is nothing short of idiotic, since the Lido is an island that can only be reached by passenger boat or car ferry, making it impractical for provisioning large cruise ships.)

What's happening in 2021:

Cruise lines' plans in general are in flux right now, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, MSC Cruises has also announced that of its ships will be sailing from Venice this summer, and other lines will almost certainly follow MSC's lead as the industry returns to normal.

It's also worth noting that the government's supposed plans won't affect cruise ships under 40,000 tons.

However, which tonnage is debatable!

DWT?

Net?

Gross?