For flights arranged through NCL, is there any luggage allowance or do you pay?

Middleager

We have not bought airfare through NCL before, but are thinking to do so with the free airfare for 2nd guest offer.  We'll probably be checking in one piece of luggage each.  I'm guessing we'd have to pay, but wonder if I might be pleasantly surprised?

Generally speaking you'll know what flights you're on about 30-60 days before sailing. Once you have the flight information in your edocs, use your record locator number to log into the specific airline's website.

From there you can potentially pick seats, upgrade to comfort+ or business, and add any frequent flier rewards/account numbers. You have no say in which airline they pick, and the rules for seats/bags/etc vary by carrier.

I've never flown on an international flight where the first bag wasn't free, but I'm sure with everyone getting cheap these days that will be coming soon.

• Like 3

NCL will book economy, not basic economy. NCL doesn't select seats or collect baggage fees. Once you have your flight reservation details from NCL (i.e. confirmation #) you can contact the airline directly to determine seats (including potentially paying to upgrade if offered) and confirm any baggage fees and any prepayments for those fees.

For a number or US airlines if you have one of their credit cards or high enough frequent flyer status you may have some perks (free checked bags, complimentary seat upgrades, etc.).

Last time NCL booked us with a carrier where I had status. I was able to use that for seat upgrades and baggage, though because it was international I our checked bags would have be free anyway.

For us the NCL flight deal has been awesome. We currently have two cruises booked under the current promotion.

• Like 1

Having trouble with the seating -

Internet website not cooperating -

Call the airline reservation number and talk to a representative -

Nothing resolved or satisfactory -

When checking in or at the departure gate discuss with the agent for a solution -

Best this be done as early as possible - others may be requesting better seating -

Some of the cheap-o-airlines don't have the staff to handle these issues -

"BUT" the big guys do (American Delta United Southwest) -

If you don't speak up about needing help - who would know -

Find out what equipment is used on the flight the NCL assigns -

and look at the seating diagram where your seats are -

and see if an improvement can be made for little or no cost i.e. seating together -

While you are at that point -

do the return trip also - why wait -

On a short flight sardine class may not matter -

but on a overseas 8 + hour flight your body will remind you -

and the cruise may not be as pleasant as anticipated -

About that luggage issue previous post by Nola26 covers it well !

17 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

We just made reservations two days ago and the NCL rep specifically said we had to pay any luggage fees imposed by the airline.  Also said there is no guarantee we can sit together.

Seating together may not be guaranteed -

"BUT" keep at it -

Right up until the gate aircraft door is closed -

Even then if there are empty seats around you -

Move after talking with the Flight Attendant -

Family members seated next to each other is NOT a covid 19 virus disqualification !

2 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Just get a credit card for each of the main carriers. Cardholders get 1st bag free for everyone in their party. You never even have to use the card. I have Delta, AA, Southwest (doesn't matter with them), and JetBlue.

That's quite a lot of annual fees to pay for the pleasure of saving $50 if you actually fly with them. My primary card is with Capital One because the perks and benefits are better, but I still hold onto my Delta Amex for the bags. If we take one flight with Delta a year it pays for itself, but I can't imagine doing that with multiple carriers. Maybe when we're retired and have more time available for travel.