Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

10 minutes ago, gskimmel said:

I asked about the July 27th sailing this morning and was told we are still restricted to Viking only excursions and cannot explore on our own.  Hope this changes by the time we sail.

I think that this is just understandable startup confusion and being conservative. I'm 3 July and i'm convinced we will find out the real rules when we board.

25 minutes ago, gskimmel said:

I asked about the July 27th sailing this morning and was told we are still restricted to Viking only excursions and cannot explore on our own.  Hope this changes by the time we sail.

I believe Viking is trying not to commit to anything they can't deliver.   That said, as long as Iceland rules remain as they are today and Viking exeriences no Covid problems, I believe they will allow exploring on your on own and annouce it to each cruise as they start to cruise.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, azjoy said:

The pre-registration is for one person at a time.  You will receive 1 email per person with the confirmation/bar code.  I used different email addresses for us but the same phone number.  

You can go to the website and start the process if you're more comfortable.   Just don't submit it until 3 days before arrival.

Do you receive the test results by email or on the same phone number?

Thanks for the info.

22 minutes ago, Mehroswitha said:

As was probably predictable, I received a call from Jo at "Tell Us"within 45 minutes of posting my inquiry above (# 2442). She had no more idea than I did why my husband's documents had not arrived but re-sent them on the spot. All good now!

anaco_angler: Our tags and so forth arrived a couple of weeks (or more) ago. You might want to query "Tell Us" about both issues.

I have asked about the luggage tags and they told me not to worry about it, I can get blank tags at embarkation. That's not the point. Failure to send luggage tags makes us worry about whether we will receive the E-Documents.

As for going off on our own, or doing excursions on our own, one person did mention that he/she got a notice from Viking that mentioned the issue.  I didn't save it, and probably can't find it.  However, my feeling was that it was addressed more to excursions than just walking around in the towns.  After all, if you're going to go on a packed sightseeing boat or tour bus with a group of visitors to Iceland who may or may not be vaccinated, you are introducing more risk than if you're simply taking a walk in the town.  And it's not just risk to us, it's risk to Viking and to all those who cruise after us.  So I'm assuming that we could be restricted to only going off the ship for a Viking excursion but that probably it won't play out that way.  But I understand why Viking cannot give us clear, consistent information on something that will happen in the future.  And I believe things will be great whatever we do.  I'm adding "patience" to my packing list.  It's probably more important for this trip than any in the past, and more important than most things on the list.

And as for Icelandair food, I honestly don't care what they do or don't do at this point.  I plan to eat in the airport pre-flight so I can go to sleep as soon as I can once I board the plane.  I don't do time changes well. 

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 2

I just used the chat function on MVJ to ask about luggage tags and here's what I was told:

Dennis, I haven't been seeing guests receiving luggage tags for our welcome back cruises. Once you arrive in Iceland you will be able to rendezvous with your transfer through the Viking employees present at the airport and they will have your name listed and any luggage tags or other things needed prior to embarking on the ship!

9 minutes ago, anaco_angler said:

I just used the chat function on MVJ to ask about luggage tags and here's what I was told:

Dennis, I haven't been seeing guests receiving luggage tags for our welcome back cruises. Once you arrive in Iceland you will be able to rendezvous with your transfer through the Viking employees present at the airport and they will have your name listed and any luggage tags or other things needed prior to embarking on the ship!

Received Iceland luggage tags ages ago for 3 July sail

As to no E docs the only problem with not having them will be administrative delays as whomever verifies you by other means. No serious problems but an annoyance.

25 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Received Iceland luggage tags ages ago for 3 July sail

As to no E docs the only problem with not having them will be administrative delays as whomever verifies you by other means. No serious problems but an annoyance.

I know that luggage tags have been sent out. And not having E-Documents may be a problem that can be addressed but my point is that we did not pay a lesser fare to compensate for annoyances of no luggage tags or no E-Documents. We just want to be treated the same as other passengers on our sailing. I'm sorry to be losing patience. I have tried to be an optimistic Viking first-timer but it's getting harder.

20 minutes ago, anaco_angler said:

I know that luggage tags have been sent out. And not having E-Documents may be a problem that can be addressed but my point is that we did not pay a lesser fare to compensate for annoyances of no luggage tags or no E-Documents. We just want to be treated the same as other passengers on our sailing. I'm sorry to be losing patience. I have tried to be an optimistic Viking first-timer but it's getting harder.

Presuming you booked directly with Viking I second the earlier poster’s advice to email Tellus@vikingcruises.com

From my experience they are actual Viking employees and not phone/chat reps.  Doesn’t excuse the lousy answers you have received to date but rather than continue to be frustrated, drop them an email and give them a chance to fix it. 

If you booked through a Travel Agent, then contact them-Viking sends them the luggage tags, etc to them to forward to you. 

25 minutes ago, anaco_angler said:

I paid 4 figures extra for a PV cabin which is advertised to get early excursion reservations. Instead Viking is doing free for all excursion bookings. I would have saved thousands. This is unprecedented chaos. Atypical.
I'm chilling out and just going to enjoy the cruise.

We are on the July 13th Jupiter cruise and just received the letter that the ones on the current cruise received stating that "we expect you will be free to disembark the ship and explore on your own" but with the same caveat that "the situation is fluid and may change on short notice".

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

I paid 4 figures extra for a PV cabin which is advertised to get early excursion reservations. Instead Viking is doing free for all excursion bookings. I would have saved thousands. This is unprecedented chaos. Atypical.

I hear you and certainly hope that Viking once onboard somehow makes it up to those in the PV and above  category that were thrown into the excursion chaos. I would feel the same if I had booked a Neptune Suite on HAL and didn't have among other perks access to the Neptune lounge, breakfast in The Pinnacle Restaurant, and priority tendering.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

These welcome back cruises are not the norm .as to procedures etc pre covid. 
pray that there is no outbreak on Viking or Iceland fir the up coming cruises. Relax and enjoy your Viking cruise . I am ready for testing  before and during Bermuda cruise. My friends first time on Viking  going to Iceland in the Explorer suite . They are so excited to travel and cruise again. 

I received the following email for the Aug 3 cruise. I'm posting the entire email so the full context can been seen:

01JUL2021

Dear Viking Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you on board VIKING JUPITER in Iceland. We would like to provide you with an update on our health and safety protocols for your sailing.

As we monitor COVID-19 prevalence levels in every destination Viking visits, we are optimistic that independent exploration will be allowed in countries where the COVID-19 concern Level is at 1 or 2. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recently eased travel advisory levels in 110 countries and territories, specifically ranking Iceland as "Level 1" or the lowest for risk of COVID-19. Therefore, we expect you will be free to disembark the ship and explore on your own, even if you are not participating in a Viking-operated shore excursion.

While we are pleased with this development, please know that the situation is fluid and may change on short notice. Once you are on board, your ship's crew will be able to inform you of the latest regulations.

While on shore, please continue to wash your hands frequently, practice social distancing and wear a mask. While on the ship, our medical team is available to help answer any questions you may have.

Should you have any questions before your departure, please contact your Travel Advisor or call us at 1-855-300-3970, Monday through Sunday, 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, PT.

Thank you for traveling with Viking; we wish you a wonderful journey.

Sincerely,

Viking

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AKexplorer said:

I received the following email for the Aug 3 cruise. I'm posting the entire email so the full context can been seen:

01JUL2021

Dear Viking Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you on board VIKING JUPITER in Iceland. We would like to provide you with an update on our health and safety protocols for your sailing.

As we monitor COVID-19 prevalence levels in every destination Viking visits, we are optimistic that independent exploration will be allowed in countries where the COVID-19 concern Level is at 1 or 2. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recently eased travel advisory levels in 110 countries and territories, specifically ranking Iceland as "Level 1" or the lowest for risk of COVID-19. Therefore, we expect you will be free to disembark the ship and explore on your own, even if you are not participating in a Viking-operated shore excursion.

While we are pleased with this development, please know that the situation is fluid and may change on short notice. Once you are on board, your ship's crew will be able to inform you of the latest regulations.

While on shore, please continue to wash your hands frequently, practice social distancing and wear a mask. While on the ship, our medical team is available to help answer any questions you may have.

Should you have any questions before your departure, please contact your Travel Advisor or call us at 1-855-300-3970, Monday through Sunday, 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, PT.

Thank you for traveling with Viking; we wish you a wonderful journey.

Sincerely,

Viking

Thanks. Just checked my email and yep, it's there.  Things are getting better all the time....

-Ruth

On the July13th and booked through a TA.  Received the luggage tags direct from Viking a while ago, and separately, via E-Mail, a "Boarding Pass" with a QR code. I haven't received the traditional E-Docs yet. Previously Viking only asked for your Passport at embarkation and handed you your ID, they never asked to see the E-Docs. Not having the E-Docs will not impact the boarding process but it is nice to have.  Docs used to be a bigger deal when they were color printed in a leatherette folio with your luggage tags and your gift from Viking.

3 hours ago, peribit said:

Do you receive the test results by email or on the same phone number?

Thanks for the info.

I was speaking of the pre-registration bar code - not test results.  Th e government of Iceland is no longer testing vaccinated visitors as of today.  I know this for a fact because we landed a few hours ago and no test was done.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LMD said:

We are on the July 13th Jupiter cruise and just received the letter that the ones on the current cruise received stating that "we expect you will be free to disembark the ship and explore on your own" but with the same caveat that "the situation is fluid and may change on short notice".

July 20th sailing here and received the same email.

39 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

So how do everyone think we can get to the Volcano...Rent a car...shuttle...Just wondering how this will work?

I did a google search and a number of companies are offering guided tours starting in Reykjavik.  

2 hours ago, azdrydock said:

On the July13th and booked through a TA.  Received the luggage tags direct from Viking a while ago, and separately, via E-Mail, a "Boarding Pass" with a QR code. I haven't received the traditional E-Docs yet. Previously Viking only asked for your Passport at embarkation and handed you your ID, they never asked to see the E-Docs. Not having the E-Docs will not impact the boarding process but it is nice to have.  Docs used to be a bigger deal when they were color printed in a leatherette folio with your luggage tags and your gift from Viking.

Occasionally a port will ask for proof that you're on the cruise.  Port of Miami comes to mind.  We hadn't brought the actual paperwork and a port employee had to go to the cruise line to check things out before we could enter the port terminal.