Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Would be interested but we are on the July 10th cruise.  Can you share contact info though?  Thanks!

If you haven’t posted on your rollcall already you might want to do so. 

I'm going to echo this as well - Anyone on the July 17 cruise interested in the Glacier lagoon and Ice tour??? I'll post this on our Roll Call as well! But would love to organize the trip ..

32 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

It looks quite different in the sunshine! The icebergs we saw were massive. I wonder if they change size depending on the season?

I took this picture at the lagoon that Viking’s tour will visit. It’s closer to the glaciers, but smaller than the more famous lagoon about 10 minutes away. That lagoon does have some enormous icebergs in it!

9 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I took this picture at the lagoon that Viking’s tour will visit. It’s closer to the glaciers, but smaller than the more famous lagoon about 10 minutes away. That lagoon does have some enormous icebergs in it!

Ah, that explains it.

So Viking isn’t taking people to Jökulsárlón? I wonder why. It’s spectacular. 

22 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I wonder if it’s because Husavik isn’t so deep down a Fjord?  When I was doing research it seemed Husavik was the top whale watching place.   

FACB304F-E649-4951-A795-77936F72F697.png

Whales are open water creatures and Husavik is much closer to open water.

35 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Ah, that explains it.

So Viking isn’t taking people to Jökulsárlón? I wonder why. It’s spectacular. 

I think they went with Fjallsarlon because it's less travelled, has its own eating facility/reception that is an actual building, and the boats used are smaller, 10-12 people each.(info gleaned from their website).  Also we will be going right by the Jokulsarlon area, so might get to see it if the tour pulls in for a look see on the way coming or going.  So looking forward to this excursion on the July 10 sailing!!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, flaladyB said:

I think they went with Fjallsarlon because it's less travelled, has its own eating facility/reception that is an actual building, and the boats used are smaller, 10-12 people each.(info gleaned from their website).  Also we will be going right by the Jokulsarlon area, so might get to see it if the tour pulls in for a look see on the way coming or going.  So looking forward to this excursion on the July 10 sailing!!

And we've read that albeit a longish ride to get there, it's a beautiful drive, and will allow us to see some things that you would only see if you would otherwise drive the ring road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crockett&Darla said:

And we've read that albeit a longish ride to get there, it's a beautiful drive, and will allow us to see some things that you would only see if you would otherwise drive the ring road.

Absolutely true. The scenery on the way is the best Iceland had to offer (and that’s a high bar). I drove the Ring Road for the second time a couple of weeks ago — trust me, nobody will get bored en route.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Someone asked about Footsteps of the Elves. For our cruise early August it's $219, 7 hours, includes lunch in small village of Bakkagerdi. If you want the description I can pull it up for you.

Someone posted that they saw puffins in this tour today. 

1 hour ago, flaladyB said:

I hadn’t thought of the need for facilities. That makes sense. I do hope they’ll pull over and let you see Jökulsárlon, too! 

And I agree with others about the Ring Road. Endlessly fascinating. It’s like driving through Hawaii, the Scottish Highlands, Middle Earth, and the Moon, one right after the other. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Someone asked about Footsteps of the Elves. For our cruise early August it's $219, 7 hours, includes lunch in small village of Bakkagerdi. If you want the description I can pull it up for you.

I was asking. I've read the description, but it's very very vague. So I was hoping to hear from someone who has done it on the LIVE thread.

• Like 1

June 26 cruise: We’ve had amazing weather.  Coldest in Reykjavik. 2 days now with 68-72 degree temps. Sunny most days or part of them. Rain gear? Hope not to jinx it, but we’ve had no need. perhaps buying it is like getting rain after you wash your car. May you all have as good a cruise as we have had. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

I was asking. I've read the description, but it's very very vague. So I was hoping to hear from someone who has done it on the LIVE thread.

Yes, it's pretty vague.  I did a very quick google and there are hiking excursions by that name (which of course could refer to many things!) but they don't sound like Viking's tour.   I suppose if you're really interested, you could call the ship and ask to speak with someone from excursions.  Maybe one of those folks has taken the excursion and can give you more information - if the person has time!  When we were in Venice I called the ship from our hotel to confirm that the position where Marine Traffic showed the ship (NOT at the regular cruise port, and not the place on the itinerary).   It was nice to be able to reach someone on board for up to date info, although I wouldn't suggest calling them all the time!

I think the number for Sky is listed on the google shared drive set up you? Someone else?  Now I forget!

Would like to take a moment here to say an emphatic THANK YOU to all who have contributed here.

Shorex for my sailing opened today and everything was exactly as explained here in this thread.  I am grateful for all the advice, guidance, tips, etc. I found here.  Happy to report that I was able to book each and every excursion I wanted, and because of your valuable information, which I passed along, others in my group were equally successful.  Thank you!

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming…

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Our friend told us that bugs and gnats can get pretty bad in warmer weather.  She wished she had one of these, so I figured other than bug spray, I could throw a couple of face nets in our bags.  Not expensive at all. https://amzn.to/2SH43Xw

I've read that bug repellent doesn't work for midges.  I assume that's true, but don't really know.  I just plan to wear my lovely midge netting with a somewhat broad-brimmed hat. Since the "Natural Treasures" excursion goes to Myvatn, and that translates to "Midge Lake," I figure I'll need it!

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

17 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I've read that bug repellent doesn't work for midges.  I assume that's true, but don't really know.  I just plan to wear my lovely midge netting with a somewhat broad-brimmed hat. Since the "Natural Treasures" excursion goes to Myvatn, and that translates to "Midge Lake," I figure I'll need it!

The trick to dealing with midges -- in Iceland at least -- is to bring a head net. Then the midges will suddenly disappear and you'll think you were crazy for bringing a net.

This approach worked wonders for us during our two-week trip, including to Lake Mvyatn. We each brought a net, still in the original box, and waited for the midges to swarm around us. But it never happened! The few midges we saw weren't a problem. Meanwhile, the nets are still in their boxes, unused. Go figure. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

The trick to dealing with midges -- in Iceland at least -- is to bring a head net. Then the midges will suddenly disappear and you'll think you were crazy for bringing a net.

This approach worked wonders for us during our two-week trip, including to Lake Mvyatn. We each brought a net, still in the original box, and waited for the midges to swarm around us. But it never happened! The few midges we saw weren't a problem. Meanwhile, the nets are still in their boxes, unused. Go figure. 

For the sake of the group I will bring my well worn net and will gladly not have to use it. 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 4