Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

7 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

image.thumb.png.a3dc0614fb5379971f439e84fe5d39a5.png

Thanks for finding that picture…I was searching without success. 

And even beside the larger ship it doesn’t look like a tiny yacht. But it was fun when we were docked in Sint Maarten next to our one of Celebrity’s smaller ships (Summit?Millenium?- 2200 or so passengers) to see the dirty looks we were getting when we all just basically walked back aboard while they were standing in a long long line.

“bless their hearts”

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I think it looks big everywhere except when docked next to Oasis or something. 

Definitely larger than the CG cutter I was attached to. Yet the water is just as deep!353324757_8a0080fc60_z.jpg.5a587c256cf95a735a8cd5202519b3aa.jpg

Jack July 17-24 cruise

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Buddysmom10 said:

When did you mail your passport renewal and how long did it take for you to get your new one? 

I sent mine in 4/22 and it is still " in process." I'm trying to change it to "expedited" to be able to go on this cruise in August.  I called them on Friday at 5 pm with the "call back" option.  They called back at 1 am Saturday from an "unknown number" so i didn't pick up.  Calling again Monday morning. 

I have a cabin on 24 hour hold that I will reserve if I can get my renewal expedited.  

Passport renewals are now apparently taking longer than a couple months ago.  

How are you able to get to a callback option?  I’ve been repeatedly calling them to also try to expedite my husband’s passport.  Once I Wade through the menu, I get a busy signal.  

10 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

We flew in on June 14. Temps on the plane (Icelandair) were very comfortable. Just my opinion, but you’ll be far too warm if you wear fleece lined pants. It was cold outside the airport when we landed, but Reykjavik has warmed up considerably since then. You’ll roast just getting on the plane in Seattle if present temps are any indication! We’ve been following the extreme weather conditions and hoping for a cool down by the time we land Tuesday night!

Thank you for the response.  Will rethink what to wear on the plane.

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks for finding that picture…I was searching without success. 

And even beside the larger ship it doesn’t look like a tiny yacht. But it was fun when we were docked in Sint Maarten next to our one of Celebrity’s smaller ships (Summit?Millenium?- 2200 or so passengers) to see the dirty looks we were getting when we all just basically walked back aboard while they were standing in a long long line.

“bless their hearts”

Yes, that's one of the perks of cruising on a smallish ship.  I'm thankful every time I walk past a humongous line of people waiting to board one of those beasts.  As I walk right up my smallish Viking or Oceania ship, I'm grateful I can cruise the way I do.

And if there's tendering involved, I can't imagine how long these people might have to wait to get back on their ship, especially in a port where there's a long tender ride. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, satchimosmom said:

How are you able to get to a callback option?  I’ve been repeatedly calling them to also try to expedite my husband’s passport.  Once I Wade through the menu, I get a busy signal.  

Once you actually get through (after pressing 1,1,1 (and maybe another "1") while on hold, the recording gives you the option.  I called first thing today at 8 am and could not get through until 9 am.  Got a busy signal (haven't heard that in years!) or "your call cannot be completed." Or you get through the options and THEN get a busy signal. 

Finally at 9 am got through, 1.5 hour hold time; then about 10 am they changed it to 2 hours, then 2.5 hours.  Finally got a live person at 11:45 am and I changed to expedited service; she said it would be "up to 20 days not including weekends and holidays but no guarantee."    So what have they been doing with it for the last two months??  I booked my cruise but it's going to be close...

• Like 1

I'm putting this out now in hopes someone will remember it later and post.  I've got a couple questions about 3 excursions.  If any of you go on them later, I'd love more information on them.  They are: 

Reykjavik, Through the Lens

Heimaey, Coastal Heimaey by RIB

Djupivogur, Fjallsarlon Glacier 

I'm splurging on some kind of wild (for me) excursions, but now I'm wondering if I'll be able to take and use a camera much on these excursions, and also if I need something to protect my camera.  For the first two, I can probably email the vendor, and then also ask later for more info from the excursion folks on the ship.  But I would love to find out more as soon as possible if anyone has info to share.  And for the photography one in Reykjavik, I'm just very curious about where we might end up going!  I know someone on here was looking for the possible vendor/photographer, but I don't know if that person found anything more to share. 

11 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'm putting this out now in hopes someone will remember it later and post.  I've got a couple questions about 3 excursions.  If any of you go on them later, I'd love more information on them.  They are: 

I'm splurging on some kind of wild (for me) excursions, but now I'm wondering if I'll be able to take and use a camera much on these excursions, and also if I need something to protect my camera.  For the first two, I can probably email the vendor, and then also ask later for more info from the excursion folks on the ship.  But I would love to find out more as soon as possible if anyone has info to share.  And for the photography one in Reykjavik, I'm just very curious about where we might end up going!  I know someone on here was looking for the possible vendor/photographer, but I don't know if that person found anything more to share. 

FWIW, when we visited Iceland, I brought 2 cameras (excluding my phone): a DSLR with a waterproof case and a little waterproof compact. When we had light mist, I whipped the DSLR out of its case, snapped, and put it back in. When we had heavier weather, I used the waterproof compact.

I now have a water-resistant mirrorless camera, so I would probably be less concerned. But I would still bring a waterproof case to handle those horizontal-rain episodes. And a good lens cloth to dry things off.

That said, Iceland is a photographer’s paradise. It’s worth the hassle!

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Yes, that's one of the perks of cruising on a smallish ship.  I'm thankful every time I walk past a humongous line of people waiting to board one of those beasts.  As I walk right up my smallish Viking or Oceania ship, I'm grateful I can cruise the way I do.

And if there's tendering involved, I can't imagine how long these people might have to wait to get back on their ship, especially in a port where there's a long tender ride. 

Right you are.  Even if several Viking tours return at the same time the line moves with no waiting.  I understand on big ships they have to get in line early in the morning to get tickets for the tenders.  No way!  With Viking they ask people who are not on their early excursions to wait before going ashore but, even with an early private excursion, we have never had a problem getting the first tender.

15 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

My wife is on the "Iceland Through the Lens" with our cruise July 17. I have had this rainsleeve in my photography kit since going to Alaska in 2017 - and have never taken it out of the package.

https://www.optechusa.com/rainsleeve.html

Back then I had DSLR cameras but now have three mirrorless cameras of which two of the three are weatherproof. I would still consider using the rainsleeves if I was shooting in a downpour. But for really inclement weather that I just need to be out in, for this cruise I have added a GoPro9 that is waterproof to -30 feet of water. Something like the GoPro is taylor-made for a RIB ride!

39 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

You can go to the website for the  ice lagoon outing " fjallsarlon.is"..... they give a detailed description of tour and what to expect

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Right you are.  Even if several Viking tours return at the same time the line moves with no waiting.  I understand on big ships they have to get in line early in the morning to get tickets for the tenders.  No way!  With Viking they ask people who are not on their early excursions to wait before going ashore but, even with an early private excursion, we have never had a problem getting the first tender.

With all of our cruises on HAL, which are considered medium-size cruise ships, we have had to tender in 9 ports. On 8 of 9 all we did was pickup our number to disembark, and embark at the end of the day without delay. #9 was Kotor, Montenegro. Those who have been to Kotor are probably familiar with the 20 minute tender ride. That one time we did have to wait for 45 minutes to re-board as we were on the  Nieuw Statendam for its first-time port call at Kotor. Crew familiarity may have been an issue as when it got to be our turn in line, we actually rode a local tender boat that they had contracted and added. Someone was thinking on their feet.

Holland America ships are considered medium-size cruise ships with 1450-2600 passengers but also carry more tenders than VO ships plus use two platforms on the side of the ship. The process moves very quickly.

I am interested how the tendering is to be done at Heimaey Island as we will anchor outside the channel that leads into the port. Winds are currently at 9 knots and seas at 3 Beaufort and 5 C.  If the Viking Sky anchors were I have seen photos of other cruise ships anchoring when calling, it looks to be approximately a 1-1/4 mile (2.03 km) ride on the tender. In the past we have had tender-only ports cancelled on us due to conditions. This is not my photo but is the ferry to the island at the opening of the channel. This is probably similar to current conditions. Hopefully on the days the cruises are stopping there, calm seas and sunny weather days which are are beautiful!

HERJOLFUR.thumb.jpg.d35d5858dea44f4a14b49aa885de5d69.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Watched it too.  Did you notice the family by that red building on shore?  Kids had shorts and T shirt on.

I wore shorts all day yesterday and today on our trips to Reykjavik and the Reykholt Valley. Call me crazy, but that’s what this former Alaskan likes to do in balmy Icelandic conditions!

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

With all of our cruises on HAL, which are considered medium-size cruise ships, we have had to tender in 9 ports. On 8 of 9 all we did was pickup our number to disembark, and embark at the end of the day without delay. #9 was Kotor, Montenegro. Those who have been to Kotor are probably familiar with the 20 minute tender ride. That one time we did have to wait for 45 minutes to re-board as we were on the  Nieuw Statendam for its first-time port call at Kotor. Crew familiarity may have been an issue as when it got to be our turn in line, we actually rode a local tender boat that they had contracted and added. Someone was thinking on their feet.

Holland America ships are considered medium-size cruise ships with 1450-2600 passengers but also carry more tenders than VO ships plus use two platforms on the side of the ship. The process moves very quickly.

I am interested how the tendering is to be done at Heimaey Island as we will anchor outside the channel that leads into the port. Winds are currently at 9 knots and seas at 3 Beaufort and 5 C.  If the Viking Sky anchors were I have seen photos of other cruise ships anchoring when calling, it looks to be approximately a 1-1/4 mile (2.03 km) ride on the tender. In the past we have had tender-only ports cancelled on us due to conditions. This not my photo but at the ferry to the island at the opening of the channel. This is probably similar to current conditions. Hopefully on the days the cruises are stopping there, all are beautiful!

HERJOLFUR.thumb.jpg.d35d5858dea44f4a14b49aa885de5d69.jpg

We took this ferry to Heimaey two weeks ago and the water was glassy calm — no problem entering the very narrow channel to the inner harbor. I suspect you won’t have problems, either — but no guarantees!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buddysmom10 said:

Once you actually get through (after pressing 1,1,1 (and maybe another "1") while on hold, the recording gives you the option.  I called first thing today at 8 am and could not get through until 9 am.  Got a busy signal (haven't heard that in years!) or "your call cannot be completed." Or you get through the options and THEN get a busy signal. 

Finally at 9 am got through, 1.5 hour hold time; then about 10 am they changed it to 2 hours, then 2.5 hours.  Finally got a live person at 11:45 am and I changed to expedited service; she said it would be "up to 20 days not including weekends and holidays but no guarantee."    So what have they been doing with it for the last two months??  I booked my cruise but it's going to be close...

Wow!  😱

Sure hope you get your passport in time! 🤞

At some point last week, we realized my husband’s pending renewal needed to get expedited or risk not showing up in time.  I called over 60 times this morning but finally got through to customer service.  She was just about to take his credit card info when the call dropped! Ugh. 

Approximately 100 more calls later, we managed to get through to customer service again (just after 4 pm EDT).  This time we were successful!  

19 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

We took this ferry to Heimaey two weeks ago and the water was glassy calm — no problem entering the very narrow channel to the inner harbor. I suspect you won’t have problems, either — but no guarantees!

Dave,

We are driving around the island before getting on our August 14 cruise.  I’ve been looking into taking the ferry to Heimaey from Landeyjahofn, to give us more time there than we’ll have from Sky.

How did you get around the island, once you got off the ferry?  Is it walkable?  Or did you put your car on the ferry?

Thanks,

Jerry

17 minutes ago, MarkTapley said:

Dave,

We are driving around the island before getting on our August 14 cruise.  I’ve been looking into taking the ferry to Heimaey from Landeyjahofn, to give us more time there than we’ll have from Sky.

How did you get around the island, once you got off the ferry?  Is it walkable?  Or did you put your car on the ferry?

Thanks,

Jerry

I would definitely bring a car unless you have a private tour lined up to take you around the island. Our car cost us about $50 RT as I recall, in addition to the same cost for two passengers . That gave us flexibility to drive the perimeter of the island, stop for pix, and spend a lot of time at the south end where we could see puffins, the other Westman Islands, and the volcanic landscape around Heimaey. You can walk up the volcano from the main town, but it’s a long slog from there (and the town itself isn’t that interesting except to grab a great lunch at Gott restaurant, highly recommended). Better to drive a bit out of town and catch the trail a little higher up. Don’t miss the Volcano Museum!

Note of caution however: Go online and make an advance booking, because car space on the ferry does sell out — and there aren’t many runs during the day. Good luck!

Edited by DaveSJ711

4 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

We were in Lahaina, Maui a couple years ago. Down by the wharf waiting for our sunset dinner cruise and there was one of the big cruise ships in (Princess Line maybe?) and anchored out in the bay.  The line for the passengers to get their tender boat from shore to ship was several blocks long - SEVERAL!!  Vowed then I'd never cruise on one of those megaships.

• Like 1