When, where and on what ship is your next South Pacific cruise?

Petoonya

10 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Oh no, not at all. The price is the price for tours in Tahiti as most places. But Captain Benoit and his Tahiti Lagoon Paradise seemed to be a little more "flexible". Prices on his website seem quite high by comparison to other tours say in Bora Bora or Moorea, but for whatever reason we've been able to negotiate a price that's within our budget. With him if the price seems a little too high, I'd ask "can you do it for ----? , and he's been amenable. Whatever the price it's worth it hands down- his tours are wonderful, and the price is for 2-4 people.

Thank you so much 

Now six cruises in Polynesia over the next two years. Five on the Paul Gauguin and one on a Regent ship.

Purchased air this last week for two of the cruises for the fall of 2023. Was able to book two R/T tickets from the west coast to Papeete on a major carrier for under $1400 total ... two for under $1400

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Back-to-Back cruises on Aranui 5 to the Marquesas and the Australs. March 2024, if we survive.  Next cruise, though, is to Oman, Djibouti, Saudi Arabia and Egypt on the Silver Cloud.

Australs will be fun  ... working on one in 2025 ... PPT to Chile via the Australs, Gambiers, Pitcarn, Easter Island and a few others ... on a small ship. Enjoy  .. 

11 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Australs will be fun  ... working on one in 2025 ... PPT to Chile via the Australs, Gambiers, Pitcarn, Easter Island and a few others ... on a small ship. Enjoy  .. 

I guess that's a Ponant ship . . . ?  A few others do this route and some make landings on Henderson and Ducie and also go on to the Juan Fernandez group.  I did this some years back and it remains the best cruise I have ever done, including Antarctica.  And that despite the roughest seas ever between Pitcairn and Easter Island!

• Like 1

Next up is a 4 night small ship cruise in the Yasawa Islands of Fiji on the "Fijian Princess" with Blue Lagoon Cruises. We'll combing this with some land vacation time there too.

LA Fadeaway, how was your trip?  We are headed back to Fiji where we got married for our 40th in 2024.  We got married on Turtle Island but then stumbled our way into the Blue Lagoon cruise, we knew the captain and he ended up giving us his berth as cruise was sold out.  It was lovely.  No place like Fiji.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are booked on the Volendam, Grand Australia New Zealand, round trip San Diego, Jan 3, 2024 to April 6, 2024.  Just trying to determine options for snorkelling in in the various islands we will visit both on our way out and others on the way back.   Great Barrier Reef in Australia, is on the list too!  Very excited!

• Like 1

In mid-April, we have a cruise stop in Papeete (8:30 a.m. to the next day at 5 p.m.).  This is our 1st time visiting South Pacific.  Found 5 hours tour doing West Coast Tour for $154 or 5 hours tours doing East Coast for $71.  Just curious why the East Coast tours are less than 50% price of the West Coast tour?  Are there more things to see at the West Coast?  

Any suggestions on what we can do for our 1.5 days there?  We don't like to do water activities or 4WD tours.  And definitely not physically fitted to do bike or hiking.  ☺️  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.   

15 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

In mid-April, we have a cruise stop in Papeete (8:30 a.m. to the next day at 5 p.m.).  This is our 1st time visiting South Pacific.  Found 5 hours tour doing West Coast Tour for $154 or 5 hours tours doing East Coast for $71.  Just curious why the East Coast tours are less than 50% price of the West Coast tour?  Are there more things to see at the West Coast?  

Any suggestions on what we can do for our 1.5 days there?  We don't like to do water activities or 4WD tours.  And definitely not physically fitted to do bike or hiking.  ☺️  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.   

Rent a car for one day .... circle the entire island. On your other half day go to the Marche, the Cathedral and buy a pearl. A decent one isn't to expensive if you go to the right place. Look at the picture  .... the pearl in the container by itself is a decent one, about $190 USD .... you would pay $800 back home it one like this. My Better Half goes through buckets and picks out the ones she wants ... brings them home and makes her own creations. 

Tahiti Pearl Market or Mihiarii Pearls, both are a few blocks from the Marche.

17.jpg

zelle's pearls.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

2 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Rent a car for one day .... circle the entire island. On your other half day go to the Marche, the Cathedral and buy a pearl. A decent one isn't to expensive if you go to the right place. 

Thank you.  We don't drive.  We like sightseeing and market shopping (for souvenirs and snacks to take back home for family and friends). If we want to do the 5 hours tour, is it better to do the West Coast tour or East Coast tour? 

3 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you.  We don't drive.  We like sightseeing and market shopping (for souvenirs and snacks to take back home for family and friends). If we want to do the 5 hours tour, is it better to do the West Coast tour or East Coast tour? 

West Coast .... re-read my post 😉

2 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

West Coast .... re-read my post 😉

I am sorry if I misunderstood your post.  I thought you suggested for us to rent a car and circle the entire island, and I responded that "we don't drive", so can't rent a car.

Maybe we will book West Coast tour for the 1st day and East Coast tour for the 2nd day.  Or do West Coast tour and try to find information how to DIY to Moorea for the 2nd day.

You mentioned Carrefour in another thread.  We would like to go there to buy some snacks to bring home for family and friends.  Is it within short walking distance from the terminal?

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

I am sorry if I misunderstood your post.  I thought you suggested for us to rent a car and circle the entire island, and I responded that "we don't drive", so can't rent a car.

Maybe we will book West Coast tour for the 1st day and East Coast tour for the 2nd day.  Or do West Coast tour and try to find information how to DIY to Moorea for the 2nd day.

You mentioned Carrefour in another thread.  We would like to go there to buy some snacks to bring home for family and friends.  Is it within short walking distance from the terminal?

Thank you.

I added pictures 😉

Marched is close  .... Carrefour is a 20 minute walk going east and up a few blocks .... it's a 'Champion' market.

Heading out to eat .... chow

17 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Rent a car for one day .... circle the entire island. On your other half day go to the Marche, the Cathedral and buy a pearl.

I am sorry if this is a dumb question, what is "Marche"?  Within short walking distance from the cruise pier?  Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

The Marche is the local market .... more like a farmers market and fresh fish market though they do have an area for souvenirs 

Thank you for the explanation. 

The Marche is open every day?  Is it within short walking distance from the cruise pier?  Need to have local currency for purchases or take credit card?

2 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you for the explanation. 

The Marche is open every day?  Is it within short walking distance from the cruise pier?  Need to have local currency for purchases or take credit card?

Marche is 3 short blocks from the ships  ... some vendors take CC but you will get a better price by using local currency 😉

46 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Marche is 3 short blocks from the ships  ... some vendors take CC but you will get a better price by using local currency 😉

Thank you.

After arrival, I will look for an ATM to get some local currency.  Then will ask how to get to the Marche.  

• Like 1

A while back, I read a CC post that mentioned taking the ferry to Moorea; I couldn't find that post anymore.

Is the ferry terminal within short walking distance from the cruise terminal?  How often the ferries run?  Is there much to do or see in Moorea in term of DIY nearby the ferry terminal at the Moorea side?

Thank you in advance for any inputs. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Canadian Bear:  I see you did this cruise last year.  I'm thinking of doing a similar cruise of 51 days and was wondering if this is too long?  Alot of sea days, did you like that?  I assume you did the crossing from LA.  Any recommendations?  We are looking at Holland America leaving San Diego for 51 days.  Curious if the seas will be rough in Oct/Nov.  Any help would be appreciated.