Packing for my First River Cruise Next Week

Packing for my first river cruise next week and I am beyond excited. The cruise line I'm cruising on is American Queen Steamboat Company and reports are dinner is country club casual. No jeans, shorts, or flip flops, but otherwise quite casual. Husband is all set with khakis and polo shirts but I've been back and forth over what to take. I've got some nice slacks in navy or black and a houndstooth jacket that looks good with any one of several jewel tone tops.

My question is do you think it would be acceptable to wear them with my black glitter vans so I don't have to pack my heels?

The Vans seem awfully casual but they pack in less space than my heels. That way I could wear my good grey tennis shoes with the good arch support for daytime wear and only pack one pair of shoes. Plus they are super comfortable. Definitely more comfortable than heels. 

• Like 1

I think everything you describe sounds just right. I think the Vans sound just right. If I had any - and I'm getting ready to - and got invited to country club, I'd wear them. Have fun.

I've been reading some AQ posts, as the boat will be in our hometown in the fall, and the consensus seems to be that CCC is right.  I'm sure your shoes, and the rest, will be perfect.

Are you reading those posts re all the other onboard questions, as well?

Have a wonderful time!

On 4/20/2021 at 7:50 AM, shipgeeks said:

I've been reading some AQ posts, as the boat will be in our hometown in the fall, and the consensus seems to be that CCC is right.  I'm sure your shoes, and the rest, will be perfect.

Are you reading those posts re all the other onboard questions, as well?

Have a wonderful time!

Thank you I'm sure we will!

Do you mean the post from U/Floriduh who was on Countess for the Sampler Cruise when they started sailing again in early April? So many changes due to Covid but it sounds like they have things well in hand.

On 4/19/2021 at 9:19 PM, clo said:

I think everything you describe sounds just right. I think the Vans sound just right. If I had any - and I'm getting ready to - and got invited to country club, I'd wear them. Have fun.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I tried them on with a couple of my outfits last night and if you don't look too closely and kind of squint your eyes they almost look dressy enough what with them being so sparkly.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CoolNickname said:

Do you mean the post from U/Floriduh who was on Countess for the Sampler Cruise when they started sailing again in early April? So many changes due to Covid but it sounds like they have things well in hand.

Yes, I did read those, plus on the ACL forum there is a post on Dress for Dinner.  I imagine the two lines are similar.

You are close to sailing!  Have a wonderful time!

8 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Yes, I did read those, plus on the ACL forum there is a post on Dress for Dinner.  I imagine the two lines are similar.

You are close to sailing!  Have a wonderful time!

Ok thank you! I hadn't looked at that yet, but I did go back to the AQSC forum after seeing your remark. Thank goodness I did! You may very well have saved our cruise.

I had forgotten we were supposed to get an email about a SafeCruise health survey we needed to fill out prior to the cruise. I saw something about it in the CC story linked in the AQSC forum which reminded me I hadn't seen it.

After searching my inbox and spam folder and coming up empty I texted my TA. She's usually available at that time but wasn't replying, so I called the cruise line. Come to find out they're handled by a covid safety team which the CS said she didn't have any phone number for and could not even contact herself other than via email but did tell me the email is sent to your TA if you have one.

The CS did give me the email address for the covid safety team to try to ask to have it resent, but just as I was about to send that email my TA replied she was searching for it. Apparently I caught her temporarily out of pocket. It ended up she finally found the email in her spam folder and forwarded it to me.

Also thanks to the AQSC forum I did find out for sure country club casual is what is required for dinner on their ships. No jeans, shorts, tank tops, or flip flops, but kahki's and a polo for men or slacks and a nice top for women is sufficient.

I'm very excited for not having to take heels or a dress just now as I am a might fluffy compared to my pre-pandemic size making most of my favorite cruise dress up clothing ill advised.

Whew! Disaster averted and all thanks to you, u/shipgeeks!

Edited by TravelinGert
  • Like 1

Good morning girls🙂 this is just an observation about the dressing up part and being excited about not having to wear a dress and heels.  Actually, I never wear dresses or heels anymore.  When cruising, I will bring a nice pair of slacks (usually black) with various pretty tops and I have a pair of black sandals with about 1/2 inch heel (they would be flats) but are quite nice looking and that would be my dressier outfits and I have always felt totally appropriate. Some jewelry and make up and I am good to go👍

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2021 at 8:50 AM, Lois R said:

Good morning girls🙂 this is just an observation about the dressing up part and being excited about not having to wear a dress and heels.  Actually, I never wear dresses or heels anymore.  When cruising, I will bring a nice pair of slacks (usually black) with various pretty tops and I have a pair of black sandals with about 1/2 inch heel (they would be flats) but are quite nice looking and that would be my dressier outfits and I have always felt totally appropriate. Some jewelry and make up and I am good to go👍

All good ideas!