Dress Code for Taste (MDR)

1 time DH was asked to go put on long pants (vs shorts).  He came back with jeans, still wearing his flip flops.  This was on the Sun and they did not have a Taste or Savor. ONLY the standard MDR.  Since then, we frequent the ones that allow his shorts.

He did once ask me (after that) "which restaurant do I have to wear pants?"

Can you guess what my reply was?  "all of them, you must wear pants in all of them, but you can wear shorts in the Taste or Savor"😂

The rules seem tighter for men, I have been allowed in with shorts while a male friend had to go and put on trousers. As for pants, you should definitely always wear them 🙂 Means a different thing in the UK.

If you could just stop people wearing hats at meals I would be much happier!

I would say European cruises are better dressed than US ones. 

22 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

Also depends where you are cruising, a lot of the responses you are getting here are from people who just do Caribbean cruises. When we did our Med cruise you would stick out like with flip flops and cargo shorts at dinner, most passengers were dressed smart during dinner hours. 

You are probably right in comparing what people are actually wearing (I wouldn't notice - far better things to concern myself about), but I would stick by my answer about what the dress code says wherever you are sailing.

The OP's friend meets the dress code for Taste, and I am assuming that if that is what they are comfortable wearing generally then they will be comfortable there whatever anyone else is wearing.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 5:59 PM, Cruising Lynne said:

He will be fine in the Manhattan Room also. The only thing I ever saw anyone turned away for was shorts. As long as they are long pants in Le Bistro, Cagney's and Manhattan they will be fine. We always dress a little smarter in those restaurants because we feel it fits the setting, but that is our choice.

Just a small point, but the dress code in Cagneys also allows shorts.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 2:20 PM, ScratchTheRat said:

One of the people I travel with is very uncomfortable about smarter clothing and usually wears cargo trousers and t-shirts with hoodies.

Nothing is baggy/ripped or messy and he always looks good and clean. Is he okay to dress like this for Taste? I know he wouldnt be able to eat in Manhattan Room

This is for the Epic btw

One of NCL's calling cards is the very very casual nature of evenings onboard, compared to other lines. 

On Epic, the only venues that require trousers/pants and collared shirts are Le Bistro and the Manhattan Room. Your friend will be completely fine in Taste, including in a hoodie. This also applies to most of the specialty restaurants on NCL

Essentially, one of the MDRs on all NCL ships is supposed to be "classy;" whether or not this is enforced is another question. On Epic, Taste is the designated casual MDR. It's also one of the oddest rooms I've ever seen on a cruise ship, with a combination of Gaudi-style plasterwork, stained glass, and 70's fake brick facade, but that's another story. 

On 5/3/2021 at 7:58 AM, ScratchTheRat said:

smarter as in "Smart Casual"

LOL circular at its finest.  Smart Casual as opposed to Stupid Casual.  Again I had no idea that clothing had any specific degree of intelligence.

On 5/3/2021 at 7:15 PM, complawyer said:

whichever restaurant we go to on board, i'm always in blue jeans and tennis shoes. mostly nice t-shirts, but sometimes i splurge and put on a long sleeve collared button up shirt. 

since they push "freestyle" i'm going "freestyle"

BINGOI and I am just as smart when I wear these things as I am when I wear a tux and tails!

On 5/4/2021 at 1:50 PM, All-ready2cruise said:

Yes, the phrase means "always wear underwear."

Actually it means "always where under where." But yeah, that's the gist of it. 😅

• Haha 1