Alaska in 2022 - Denali Explorer - Tour HB5 – Majestic Princess

Denmal

I am keeping myself busy with planning our Alaska cruise tour for 2022.   We are going in May.  We will be staying at the Mt. McKinley Wilderness Lodge for 2 nights and about a day and 1/2 and then staying at Denali Lodge for about the same amount.  At the Denali lodge we have the Natural History Tour included.  What I am wondering for those who have stayed at the lodges , What did you do ?  What Tours did you take ?  We will be 3 couples, 1 from the US and two from the UK.  My husband and I have been to Alaska before but the couples from the UK have not.  So looking for something interesting, a easy hike maybe, but nothing with heights, one of the group cannot handle that.  

We are schedule to take the train to the ship so that will be fun, and then we plan wale watching and seeing the dog(s) with the sleds but also will take recommendations for tours in the stops . 

I know it is a long way away but with no cruises yet this year, I have to do something that will keep my hopes up about cruising 

Thanks

At Denali, make sure to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness or Kantishna tours.  The latter goes the entire 92 miles into the park and the Tundra tour goes about 62 miles.  Princess or your TA can do this for you and don't wait as these tours do fill up.  The different tours are described here https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/bus-tours.htm  and here https://www.reservedenali.com/tours-transits/the-denali-tour-experience/ .

May is a little early for the TWT...roads into the park do not open until late in the Month, depending on the snow pack.  But the point is well made...the TWT is several orders of magnitude better than the NHT.

This thread should be on the Princess Roll Call under Majestic Princess.

I’m almost certain the Cruise Critic Administrator will move to the Princess Roll Call board.

3 hours ago, thinfool said:

May is a little early for the TWT...roads into the park do not open until late in the Month, depending on the snow pack.  But the point is well made...the TWT is several orders of magnitude better than the NHT.

We did the Toklat version of the TWT in mid May a few years ago but agree that it is iffy.  The day before our tour there was snow and all tours beyond the 13 mile mark were closed.

2 hours ago, Cali Viajera said:

We are on the Majestic June 25th tour and also doing a cruise tour. Can we upgrade now to the Tundra tour or is it too early?

It isn't too early, they do sell out so grab it as soon as they are able to sell it to you.

15 hours ago, Denmal said:

I am keeping myself busy with planning our Alaska cruise tour for 2022.   We are going in May.  We will be staying at the Mt. McKinley Wilderness Lodge for 2 nights and about a day and 1/2 and then staying at Denali Lodge for about the same amount.  At the Denali lodge we have the Natural History Tour included.  What I am wondering for those who have stayed at the lodges , What did you do ?  What Tours did you take ? 

You can see what we did in our report at

Since that was9 years ago, the tours offered now may be different.

18 hours ago, John99 said:

This thread should be on the Princess Roll Call under Majestic Princess.

I’m almost certain the Cruise Critic Administrator will move to the Princess Roll Call board.

Why?  They're asking people here who have taken this before.  

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 2:39 AM, caribill said:

You can see what we did in our report at

Since that was9 years ago, the tours offered now may be different.

Wow what a great report - That helps with information for sure !!