Question re Regatta-class size and motion sickness

MarkWiltonM

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Then you probably need to use 6 patches – each one placed in the correct body area to counter that particular ship movement.  Or, just drink enough that you are horizontal and unaware of any movement!  🤣

Have always found the "drink enough" solution applies to many problems. As far as motion sickness goes would always prefer a balcony cabin. Fresh air seems to help. 

13 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Have always found the "drink enough" solution applies to many problems. As far as motion sickness goes would always prefer a balcony cabin. Fresh air seems to help. 

The other advantage of a balcony or ocean view cabin is watching the horizon, which helps your brain know which way is up. I was always prone to motion sickness until I found out that key piece of information. It's similar to motion sickness in a car. Passengers can suffer from it, but seldom does the driver because her eyes are on the stable thing, the road, not focusing on words on a page or a screen. Even so, when the seas are rough, I still take half a Bonine, not enough to put me to sleep but enough  to eat a meal without incident.

I also am one of those “queasy” sailors who loves cruising but prefers doing so when waters are calm. I only will book or accept an upsell to a cabin that is located between the fore and aft elevators on either “O” or “R” ships (although since Marina debuted in 2011 our only “R” experiences have been on Azamara Quest.) This stringent policy has worked well for me.

• Like 1

Can't speak for the R-class ships (yet), however have been in some rough seas.  Agree with all others about staying on lower decks and towards the middle.  Our most recent cruise (Celebrity, November 2019) we had what they called "Adriatic Sea Conditions" which caused us to miss Kotor and divert to Corfu, Greece (this is the system that "swamped" Venice, where we left 3 days before).  We take non-drowsy Bonine with us, as well as sea bands (I often wear the 1st day until I get my "sea legs").  Our stateroom was an ocean-view on the lowest deck, in the middle.  We did have to leave a show in the theatre early as my wife was not feeling well, but was better once back in our room.  Later that same trip, between Catania, Sicily and Naples, we hit another system.  The wine buckets by our table in the dining room were rocking from side to side.  Amusing to watch!  Never got sick.

Couple of misconceptions here, and they don't really affect sea sickness, but may add to people's understanding of ship motion.

Stabilizers will control roll only, not pitch or yaw.  Stabilizers don't stop rolling, they merely slow the motion of the roll to make it more comfortable.

Ships roll and pitch around the "center of roll" and "center of pitch", which are neither the center of gravity, nor the center of buoyancy.  The center of roll and pitch are the centroid of the waterline plane (the plane that cuts the ship where the waterline is).  This is because when rolling, the volume of water displaced by the side of the ship going down increases, while the volume of the water displaced on the side going up decreases, by the exact same amount.  So, the center of roll (since pitch is a much lesser order of movement, but the principal is the same), is dependent on hull shape, and not where the weight is concentrated.  Center of pitch will tend to be aft of midships merely because ships tend to have a more full afterbody than forebody (i.e. tapered bow v square stern).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I do  not seem to feel  the  heavy seas if I am aft of the forward elevator banks on either the R or O class ships

We have been in 7115 on the R ships  during  heavy seas & it was not really a problem  for me

Everyone has a different  sensitivity  level to the "motion of the Ocean"

Take  sea bands/patches or meds if you suffer  a lot

I have  a flat ginger ale & it works for me  & I NEVER look at the horizon  🤢

YMMV

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 6:17 AM, chengkp75 said:

Couple of misconceptions here, and they don't really affect sea sickness, but may add to people's understanding of ship motion.

Stabilizers will control roll only, not pitch or yaw.  Stabilizers don't stop rolling, they merely slow the motion of the roll to make it more comfortable.

Ships roll and pitch around the "center of roll" and "center of pitch", which are neither the center of gravity, nor the center of buoyancy.  The center of roll and pitch are the centroid of the waterline plane (the plane that cuts the ship where the waterline is).  This is because when rolling, the volume of water displaced by the side of the ship going down increases, while the volume of the water displaced on the side going up decreases, by the exact same amount.  So, the center of roll (since pitch is a much lesser order of movement, but the principal is the same), is dependent on hull shape, and not where the weight is concentrated.  Center of pitch will tend to be aft of midships merely because ships tend to have a more full afterbody than forebody (i.e. tapered bow v square stern).

Thank you, I didn't know about the roll. Interesting.

I tend to get very motion sick. Have been on 10 O cruises, mostly on the smaller ships. It is true that the captain is very kind regarding keeping you out of rough waters when possible. The worst for me was a trip to Iceland from Canada, we hit some very rough seas. Captain changed routes and I realized it might be ok for me to take Bonine, which was a miracle drug. I am stubborn about taking any drugs even OTC, but this really worked for me. I didn't want a patch or anything that would sedate me in that way so just used the bonine for that day or two and lived on breadsticks until the seas calmed (Toscana has the most amazing breadsticks and room service will bring you as many as you want!) Bring the meds with you or they have them onboard. My husband has never experienced motion sickness and the more rolling for him the better!😉

Completely! Actually, I have worn the patch on every cruise we have taken except for the first two, when I was very young (honeymoon, second honeymoon). My only adverse reaction was being very thirsty. No memory loss, I would like to forget the past year however!

I have mentioned this on other posts on the same subject - my Reliefband works for me and I will not travel without it (so much better than sea bands that never worked). No side effects and immediate relief! Here is an excerpt from their website, https://www.reliefband.com:

"Reliefband® is worn on the wrist, with the band holding the device to the underside of the wrist.

When it’s turned on, it releases a specific pattern of pulses, like beats on a drum, that stimulate a nerve under the skin called the median nerve.

These pulses create a signal, which pulses through the body’s nervous system to the part of the brain that controls nausea, retching, and vomiting. This area is known as the dorsal vagal complex.

The pulses quiet and normalize the nerve messages that travel along what’s called the vagus nerve, from the brain to the stomach. This relieves the symptoms of nausea, retching, and vomiting caused by motion or morning sickness, etc...."

• Like 1