Dine My Way - new MedallionClass enhancement

dides

How about a little mind game. You have three dining rooms on your cruise ship and anyone can walk up at anytime and ask for a table. The doors are mobbed every evening, so you tell passengers to come each morning and make a reservation. The Reservation table is mobbed every morning and passengers complain about how long it takes. So you devise an App they can use on their smart phone, passengers can book or change a reservation anytime, from anywhere on the ship. Passengers love it and you say, 'You know what, you can even make a reservation before you get on the ship'. Passengers are delighted and work with their travelling buddies to make sure they can eat together at various times during the voyage.

Now someone comes up to you and suggests you block off one dining room completely and another one until 7:00 each evening and explains Traditional Dining to you - would that make sense ?

Edited by Tedferg

3 hours ago, Turk1 said:

OK, when we booked our Cruise on the Enchanted for 2022 we requested Traditional, Late Seating, Table for 2. (as always). If I View my dining in the app it shows us in the Capri Dining Room, 2 People, 7:20PM for each night of the cruise. Hoping this is what we requested. Were told that if you had Traditional dining when they moved to the app that those dining times (fully paid or Platinum and above) would automatically move over. Of course we will (as always) double check once on board and also check the table location to make sure it is a table for 2. Like the same time and same staff each night that is why we requested Traditional. Would have done Club Class but all sold out.

Based on pre-Covid time windows, you do have TD.  However, they probably ran out of 2-tops before getting to you.  This could be because of limited inventory.  You were assigned to Deck 6 mid-ship DR.  This has not been a location for late TD.  Who knows if they are changing things up.  However, other reports on CC seem to indicate that at least SOME voyages are showing nothing for the Deck 6 aft DR which has traditionally been 100% TD. 

But I would be checking it for sure and stay tuned for changes to DMW since it is lacking in necessary faetures.

1 hour ago, Yehootu said:

Our cruise isn't till 2023. I've looked at the dining app and there are no tables for 2. Could it be that's too far out in the future? Any idea when Princess does release tables?

They were all assigned out to each cabin with a booking.  They assumed everyone wanted a 2-top.  Also, there is some evidence that less than full inventory was initially released.  But with silence from Princess, who knows the whole story?

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Now someone comes up to you and suggests you block off one dining room completely and another one until 7:00 each evening and explains Traditional Dining to you - would that make sense ?

Interesting posit there.  However, if they were holding off Deck 6 Aft DR's for TD, then those of us who elected TD in our bookings should find table assignments there.  But, not the case for us and from what I have read. 

I just hope they add missing features, add the missing inventory, and wipe out all the reservations and start over.

36 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

However, if they were holding off Deck 6 Aft DR's for TD, then those of us who elected TD in our bookings should find table assignments there.  But, not the case for us and from what I have read. 

All of our future cruises had early TD table for 2 and with DMW we only had the midship MDRs available at a table for 2. Previously our TD was always in the deck 6 aft MDR but like your experience not with DMW.

3 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

All of our future cruises had early TD table for 2 and with DMW we only had the midship MDRs available at a table for 2. Previously our TD was always in the deck 6 aft MDR but like your experience not with DMW.

We actually prefer the Deck 6 mid-ship DR and since it has been used for Early TD, we ask for a table there.  In DMW, we are on Deck 5, but I think that is at least in part due to selecting a time for the entire cruise that is just outside what they consider to be Early TD.  I am thinking the App accepts only 5:00pm and 5:20pm as default for Early TD - but it's just an educated guess since nothing indicated in the App nor by Princess.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

We actually prefer the Deck 6 mid-ship DR and since it has been used for Early TD, we ask for a table there.  In DMW, we are on Deck 5, but I think that is at least in part due to selecting a time for the entire cruise that is just outside what they consider to be Early TD.  I am thinking the App accepts only 5:00pm and 5:20pm as default for Early TD - but it's just an educated guess since nothing indicated in the App nor by Princess.

We prefer the midship locations…no vibrations from the aft bow thrusters or screws. 👍

We selected the same time at the old 6:00 TD time but by default it had 5:00 and ours were still midship…usually on deck 6 & not deck 5. For Discovery we don’t know the location because there are new names (Skagway & Juneau) but the online deck plans don’t show the names & the MC app doesn’t have Discovery’s deck plans. Whatever the location we’re just hoping the ship arrives for our Spring 2022 cruise from LA. 🤞

PROGRESS👍

I can get DMW 6pm at a table of 4 midship on 3 of my cruises (8/2021, 12/ 2021 & 9/2022). Appreciate that as a solo. Also I put in rapid dining so I hope the software matched me with 3 other solos who also want fast dining

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

We prefer the midship locations…no vibrations from the aft bow thrusters or screws. 👍

We selected the same time at the old 6:00 TD time but by default it had 5:00 and ours were still midship…usually on deck 6 & not deck 5. For Discovery we don’t know the location because there are new names (Skagway & Juneau) but the online deck plans don’t show the names & the MC app doesn’t have Discovery’s deck plans. Whatever the location we’re just hoping the ship arrives for our Spring 2022 cruise from LA. 🤞

I am catching on to the new Princess DR naming scheme for the newer ships.  If this ship is following in the pattern of other ones, my SWAG(uess) is the Deck 6 Aft DR is not included in DMW at this time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I am catching on to the new Princess DR naming scheme for the newer ships.  If this ship is following in the pattern of other ones, my SWAG(uess) is the Deck 6 Aft DR is not included in DMW at this time.

Really sorry to ruin your theory about the Aft DR not included in DMW.

We requested a table for 8 on the Caribbean Princess in February and were defaulted to the Palm Dining room----Aft Deck 6.

🤷‍♀️

(Just for reference, we are a party of 7...so not requesting to sit with others.)

Edited by dreaminofcruisin

On Princess site for the Discovery, it says dining room (no name) for all the dining rooms.  Princess has not update their names on the deck plans.

I have Juneau dining room for 7 nights in Sept 2022.

Edited by phabric

26 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Really sorry to ruin your theory about the Aft DR not included in DMW.

We requested a table for 8 on the Caribbean Princess in February and were defaulted to the Palm Dining room----Aft Deck 6.

🤷‍♀️

(Just for reference, we are a party of 7...so not requesting to sit with others.)

Thanks for posting.  I didn't think every active voyage was necessarily missing inventory.  FEB is closer than Fall 2022. 

Just curious.  When you were able to access your booking in MC App, did you find that dining assignment as your default setup (in other words, carried over from Cruise Personalizer)?  OR, did you set up your own res in DMW by adding travel companions and then selecting all 7 names to be dining together? 

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Thanks for posting.  I didn't think every active voyage was necessarily missing inventory.  FEB is closer than Fall 2022. 

Just curious.  When you were able to access your booking in MC App, did you find that dining assignment as your default setup (in other words, carried over from Cruise Personalizer)?  OR, did you set up your own res in DMW by adding travel companions and then selecting all 7 names to be dining together? 

The dining assignment as a default setup was for a table of 4 in Palm Dining Room with the 3 of us in my stateroom. I then added the other 4 traveling companions (who are in one stateroom) and changed it  to a table for 8 (though there are 7 of us) also in Palm.

All of these were for 5 pm each day due to the 2 young kids.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, DiRonT said:

If we have Club Class dining, do we need to make reservations - seeing as the purpose of reservations is to be able to control capacity?

With Club Class no reservation is needed and please don't make one or you will take a table from someone else. The only exception is if you are planning to dine with others who do not have Club Class.

Club Class is in a separate dedicated section of one of the dining rooms. No one else will be able to reserve those tables.

• Like 1

I am having trouble with DMW.  I'm in the section in the app of DMW:  I choose reserve for same time each day: then pick evening: then choose our companions: then pick a time: (nowhere does it say confirm reservations or next.  It makes me back out of all the info I just put in.  Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong.  We have chosen Tradition Dining early when we booked 1 1/2 years ago.  Another (stupid) question.  Can I only download the Medallion app to get my husband and myself boarded or does he also need to download the app.  Thank you for any help I can get.

Rhonda

1 hour ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

With Club Class no reservation is needed and please don't make one or you will take a table from someone else. The only exception is if you are planning to dine with others who do not have Club Class.

Club Class is in a separate dedicated section of one of the dining rooms. No one else will be able to reserve those tables.

Thank you, this was my initial understanding but I wasn't sure if Covid protocols changed that.

2 hours ago, loonline said:

I am having trouble with DMW.  I'm in the section in the app of DMW:  I choose reserve for same time each day: then pick evening: then choose our companions: then pick a time: (nowhere does it say confirm reservations or next.  It makes me back out of all the info I just put in.  Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong.  We have chosen Tradition Dining early when we booked 1 1/2 years ago.  Another (stupid) question.  Can I only download the Medallion app to get my husband and myself boarded or does he also need to download the app.  Thank you for any help I can get.

Rhonda

Easy question first - you can install the MC App on a single device and then login in separately to each of your accounts.  (Similar to signing into your bank from one device if you have separate accounts).  Since you are under a single booking in a cabin, when either of you is signed in, you should see the other person in the MC App and be able to update information.

I am not sure what to think from the DMW info posted. 

If you get into DMW and then select the first option - Same Time Every Evening of the voyage, the next screen is where you select your dining party (it will be defaulted to the two of you).  If you have cross-linked other guests travelling on same voyage, then they will show as options for you to select to increase dining party from the two of you. 

Then, the next screen you scroll through the available times and pick one.  For each time, it will show you the DR and minimum table size it found for that time that fits your party.  If you tap on that combination, it should make the res.  I cannot promise you will have same table size for every night of your voyage.  If you have B2B, or B2B2B, it treats the entire thing as a logical voyage and will assign the dining right throughout.  But again, table size may change from one physical trip to the next one.

When you first get into DMW section, you may have reviewed the reservations and found that Princess already assigned you a default dining time, DR and table size.   That will most likely be for the two of you alone and not including any friends.  You will have to go through day-by-day and delete those defaults.

Edited by Steelers36

Well that was odd My April cruise was showing me no option after having initially booked TD second sitting - So on app today I managed under same time every night to book 19.40 which came up as table for two in Vivaldi - So booked that - Now having done that I can now see that I also have a booking in Savoy at 19.00 again table for two !!!

1 hour ago, TonyM99 said:

Well that was odd My April cruise was showing me no option after having initially booked TD second sitting - So on app today I managed under same time every night to book 19.40 which came up as table for two in Vivaldi - So booked that - Now having done that I can now see that I also have a booking in Savoy at 19.00 again table for two !!!

If you had first checked Review Bookings and Individual Days Booking, you would have seen the default dining booked for you as part of the conversion from Cruise Personalizer to MC App.  Looks like Princess team took the earliest possible Late TD time.  Seems early to me - even with a 5PM Early TD default.  

I wonder how many other people have double bookings and don't realize it yet. 

My advice is to decide which one you prefer and then delete the other.  You will have go through day-by-day and delete each individual booking as there is no "Delete All" option. 

On Sapphire, they have two separate DR's at mid-ship (never been on her) and I note the two you mention are on Deck 5.  On other ships, the Deck 5 mid-ship is normally all Anytime.

I am not sure what is going on with the Deck 6 Aft DR's. 

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If you had first checked Review Bookings and Individual Days Booking, you would have seen the default dining booked for you as part of the conversion from Cruise Personalizer to MC App.  Looks like Princess team took the earliest possible Late TD time.  Seems early to me - even with a 5PM Early TD default.  

I wonder how many other people have double bookings and don't realize it yet. 

My advice is to decide which one you prefer and then delete the other.  You will have go through day-by-day and delete each individual booking as there is no "Delete All" option. 

On Sapphire, they have two separate DR's at mid-ship (never been on her) and I note the two you mention are on Deck 5.  On other ships, the Deck 5 mid-ship is normally all Anytime.

I am not sure what is going on with the Deck 6 Aft DR's. 

If you re check my comment whichever way I looked There was previously NO booking shown No default showing - It wasn't until I booked something that it appeared then showing both - I have been on the sapphire before but was in the International Dining room - Also since the recent refurb this year I'm not sure what either will look like - Most stuff written online always refers to previous arrangements so difficult to get any current info - So which one to chose is probably a lottery be nice to know if one was heading more towards cruisers changing daily to those wanting same - But hey ho

11 minutes ago, TonyM99 said:

If you re check my comment whichever way I looked There was previously NO booking shown No default showing - It wasn't until I booked something that it appeared then showing both - I have been on the sapphire before but was in the International Dining room - Also since the recent refurb this year I'm not sure what either will look like - Most stuff written online always refers to previous arrangements so difficult to get any current info - So which one to chose is probably a lottery be nice to know if one was heading more towards cruisers changing daily to those wanting same - But hey ho

Ahhh... I see.  Didn't quite realize that, but it is strange.  I was quite early into DMW and do not recall if I first checked the individual days tab for any res, or whether I first setup our friends as travel companions and then added them so I was booking dining for All Nights for 4 of us.  I do know when I was reviewing that step, we had both what I setup and a default res for just wife and I at a 2-top at 5PM.  Did not want that obviously and had to delete one-by-one each day to clear out that default.  Again, not sure if I saw it before or after I booked dining for four of us. 

You are correct in that it is almost impossible to know how DMW will translate into reality on-board and I think it is going to take some initial cruises to find out.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, phabric said:

I have Juneau dining room for 7 nights in Sept 2022.

I also have Juneau dining room reserved for sailings in April and September 2022. I haven't been able to select any other dining venue on Discovery, so I assume that perhaps it isn't fully loaded into the system yet. The ship map is also not available.

• Like 1

I can't recall if this was mentioned previously in this thread, but I did just now notice that they've expanded the Dining preference page to ask if you prefer to dine in the same dining room every night.  Last time I checked it simply asked for speed (slow/relaxed/fast).

B1966E89-1747-4C83-8436-844F15C9C146_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.6c06d08522921c082abbef5f4f4c6664.jpeg