21-day first time cruise (Bad ports?)

I believe you said an inside cabin.  For me, no, no, no, especially for such a long cruise.  I recommend you go shorter and spend the money difference on at least a balcony cabin.  Having your own balcony to escape the crowds and relax, watch the ocean drift past, and see the ports when stopped, that to us is at least half or the cruise experience.  I definitely do not recommend an inside and a long cruise.  But.....we each experience cruising for different reasons.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

Regarding the length, I am actually not too worried that it would be too long for us specifically as first time cruisers. What I am concerned about is a 7-day cruise doing a 21-day cruise, compared to other cruises designed and planned to do a 21-day cruise. I would be concerned if after the 7 days you start to feel like the ship was not meant to do 21-days.

Two things on this - 

First - you seem very confident that you and the (soon-to-be?) wife will actually LIKE cruising.  It's not for everyone, and the movement of the ship doesn't agree with everyone.  To be clear - my first cruise (NY to Bermuda) went through a storm during all of the at-sea days and it was so rough they were placing "sea-sick bags" in the stairwells and handing out dramamine (I needed neither).  The outside decks were closed for much of the trip.  That said - I'm jumping on the bandwagon of "that's a long cruise for your first".  Many people do 3, 4, 5, 7 days for their first cruises, then you get an idea if you like it and can handle being at sea and not be stuck on the ship for 2 more weeks.

Second - they don't change out features on the ship based on the itinerary length, and there usually aren't ships designed around longer itineraries (though some lines do "world cruises" on designated ships).  There IS the cruise director that organizes the entertainment and should be planning a variety over the entire length of the trip.  The main theater shows often can't be swapped out without a long port stay or a dry-dock so those won't change during the trip.

That looks like a nice trip, and it's one I've considered (I've actually done part of it - LA to Vancouver on the Bliss which is similar to Encore).

• Thanks 1

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials.  Encore is a wonderful ship and one of the newest sailing from any cruise line.

I agree that to some 21 days is a long time.  For a honeymoon?  Not so much.  Yes, the large shows will repeat.  But, musicians, comedians, etc in the smaller venues tend to change relatively frequently.  So, that entertainment is likely to change while you're on board.

Obviously, the ports will change, too.

But, more importantly, the relationships you make with fellow cruisers is what will make it special.  I've made some life long friends on cruise ships.

the one caveat, as others have mentioned, being in an inside cabin for 3 weeks.  That would make me a little crazy.  At least get a balcony cabin, where you can sit and watch the water go by when you need a little break, vs staying in a small, dark cabin.

The idea of doing a back-to-back-to-back cruise would also be fantastic.  Meeting new people on every leg of the journey.  Changing cabins, even changing ships, would not be as difficult as you think, and would probably be exciting.

Would love to hear more about your plans, regardless of what you decide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials.  Encore is a wonderful ship and one of the newest sailing from any cruise line.

I agree that to some 21 days is a long time.  For a honeymoon?  Not so much.  Yes, the large shows will repeat.  But, musicians, comedians, etc in the smaller venues tend to change relatively frequently.  So, that entertainment is likely to change while you're on board.

Obviously, the ports will change, too.

But, more importantly, the relationships you make with fellow cruisers is what will make it special.  I've made some life long friends on cruise ships.

the one caveat, as others have mentioned, being in an inside cabin for 3 weeks.  That would make me a little crazy.  At least get a balcony cabin, where you can sit and watch the water go by when you need a little break, vs staying in a small, dark cabin.

The idea of doing a back-to-back-to-back cruise would also be fantastic.  Meeting new people on every leg of the journey.  Changing cabins, even changing ships, would not be as difficult as you think, and would probably be exciting.

Would love to hear more about your plans, regardless of what you decide.

Thank you for your input! I've spent the whole day researching, And I think i've gotten a few more itineraries that I need to think about. My wife has also told me she wouldn't mind doing a translantic, as it would reduce the jetlag, and we wouldn't have a 13-15 hours flight after our vacation. (She hates flying this long)

The contestants therefore are:
1: 21-day cruise discussed in this thread
2: Allure of the Seas back-to-back. 8 Days Caribbean, and then straight onto a transatlantic 14-day cruise to Barcelona. 
3: Symphony of the seas back-to-back. 7 Days Caribbean, then one day break in Miami, and then the Allure of the Seas translantic to Barcelona. 

We really love big shows, so we like the opportunity in option 3 to see four of Royal Caribbeans broadway shows. We don't like so much in option 3 that we have to transfer ship, or that 7 days on Symphony costs the same as the 14 days on Allure 😕 

However, all three options have the same final price. (Except option 2 and 3 dosn't include a drink package) We don't really drink anything besides sodas and mock-tails. I typically start feeling drunk after two glasses... So buying as we go might be cheaper than the package. 

Well I've put everything together in Microsoft Word, and made our own leaflets of each trip. That makes it easier to quickly look at, and hopefully we can decide! 😄

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

Thank you for your input! I've spent the whole day researching, And I think i've gotten a few more itineraries that I need to think about. My wife has also told me she wouldn't mind doing a translantic, as it would reduce the jetlag, and we wouldn't have a 13-15 hours flight after our vacation. (She hates flying this long)

2: Allure of the Seas back-to-back. 8 Days Caribbean, and then straight onto a transatlantic 14-day cruise to Barcelona. 
3: Symphony of the seas back-to-back. 7 Days Caribbean, then one day break in Miami, and then the Allure of the Seas translantic to Barcelona. 

We really love big shows, so we like the opportunity in option 3 to see four of Royal Caribbeans broadway shows. We don't like so much in option 3 that we have to transfer ship, or that 7 days on Symphony costs the same as the 14 days on Allure 😕 

However, all three options have the same final price. (Except option 2 and 3 dosn't include a drink package) We don't really drink anything besides sodas and mock-tails. I typically start feeling drunk after two glasses... So buying as we go might be cheaper than the package. 

Well I've put everything together in Microsoft Word, and made our own leaflets of each trip. That makes it easier to quickly look at, and hopefully we can decide! 😄

i vote option 2     LOL...

I would do any of those options

PC cruise is on my bucket ls and the Encore is a great ship

I would choose the Allure B2B it has all the bells and whistles for a first time cruiser

but honestly if this is your honeymoon

I see a stack of room service trays in your future😜

Btw, there is something to be said, about joining the Balcony club in the middle of the ocean

Edited by jonbgd

On 5/8/2021 at 4:10 PM, Host Kat said:

As for the various Ports of Callthe sub-forums for you to research would be the following:

South America for Nicaragua . . .

3 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

Nicaragua is not in South America.  There doesn't appear to be a Central America sub-forum.

Not only is Nicaragua not in South America, but as I learned several years ago when doing the research for our first transit of the Panama Canal, there's no sub-forum here on CC for Nicaragua at all, probably because it's so little visited by cruise ships.  The best info I could find here on CC about Corinto, Nicaragua was in the Panama Canal Port of Call forum.  

Also, our Canal cruise included a port call to Puntarenas, Costa Rica.  I couldn't find any Port of Call forum for Costa Rica, until by accident I saw that Costa Rica is included in the Caribbean sub-forum.  The problem, of course, is that Costa Rica has coastlines and ports on both the Caribbean and the Pacific, and since Puntarenas is on the Pacific side, it never occurred to me to look in the Caribbean sub-forum for any information about Costa Rica.

@mikkelzzz3 I mention the above in case you decide to take the Canal cruise.   Transiting the Canal is fascinating; we've done it twice, and are very likely going to book a B2B in 2023 that will take us through two more times. 🙂  (If you go, please read The Path Between the Seas in advance.  You will appreciate the Canal even more.) 

Congratulations on your marriage, and enjoy whatever cruise(s) you decide to take!     

Thank you everyone. My wife got very hooked on doing a transatlantic, because she would enjoy not having a long flight at the end of our vacation, and the jetlag wouldn't impact us as much. 

I spoke with our travel agent about option 2 and 3.

15 hours ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

She recommended me option 2. She told me as first time cruisers she didn't think we would get bored at all. Also option two is $570 cheaper, and it visits 4 ports on the first cruise. Option three vists 3 ports, and is more expensive. 

She told me Allure of the Seas were supposed to be renovated but it got delayed, so for example it dosn't have the long slide at the back of the ship that transitions decks (Part of the reason for the lower price). Otherwise she told as they are in the same class, they pretty much have the same activities. Some features are different, and some restaurants are different and that's it. She did say we would likely see the main shows twice, but other entertainment would differ. If she was in our shoes, she'd do option 2.

And we've taken your guys advice, we are gonna spend the extra on getting Balcony on both cruises. 🙂 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

Thank you everyone. My wife got very hooked on doing a transatlantic, because she would enjoy not having a long flight at the end of our vacation, and the jetlag wouldn't impact us as much. 

She recommended me option 2. She told me as first time cruisers she didn't think we would get bored at all. Also option two is $570 cheaper, and it visits 4 ports on the first cruise. Option three vists 3 ports, and is more expensive. 

She told me Allure of the Seas were supposed to be renovated but it got delayed, so for example it dosn't have the long slide at the back of the ship that transitions decks (Part of the reason for the lower price). Otherwise she told as they are in the same class, they pretty much have the same activities. Some features are different, and some restaurants are different and that's it. She did say we would likely see the main shows twice, but other entertainment would differ. If she was in our shoes, she'd do option 2.

And we've taken your guys advice, we are gonna spend the extra on getting Balcony on both cruises. 🙂 

see you on board...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

See you there. Just paid the deposit

look at the cruise planner every week and watch your emails because the packages go on sale and if your not paying attention, you will miss it.

9 minutes ago, ericfromri said:

look at the cruise planner every week and watch your emails because the packages go on sale and if your not paying attention, you will miss it.

Will do! I was also told if you find an even better sale later, you can buy that, and then cancel the first. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

Will do! I was also told if you find an even better sale later, you can buy that, and then cancel the first. 

yes , and you can even cancel and get your money back if you change your mind.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikkelzzz3 said:

No bad choices, but I like your choice.  Good idea on the balcony, too. 

I've sailed the Allure of the Seas.  It's quite the ship.  I think you'll really enjoy it.  These "mega ships" from RCCL, NCL, etc are truly marvels.  You made a good choice.

Have fun!

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 6:53 AM, B Midged said:

You will be bored. The entertainment, menus, repeat week after week.  Maybe look into switching ships at the end of each 7 day trip. 

I have heard this from people who did back to backs. The shows were the same and even the answers to the trivia questions were the same LOL.   

28 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

I have heard this from people who did back to backs. The shows were the same and even the answers to the trivia questions were the same LOL.   

I did two sailings on the Bliss, 6 months apart, the trivia was the same on both.

23 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

It makes perfect sense that the production shows on B2B cruises will be pretty much the same on each leg because they have a new crowd each time; the independent entertainers may change, depending on their contracts. With a long cruise however they know that they have the same passengers.  So the NCL production shows may repeat once so everyone has a chance to see them, but shows from the independent entertainers most likely will not.  They might do different shows on different nights  but NCL will also fly in different entertainers throughout the cruise on longer cruises.