Caribbean Princess August 14th- CANCELED!

Well, this makes four Princess cruises canceled for us over the past year.  Of the first three, I can definitely agree that they needed to be canceled.  But Princess pulling the plug on this one, just as everything seemed to be falling into place with all the CDC vs the industry vs FL Gov dramas, just doesn't make sense.  I'm not sure what is behind this at all.

Princess offered to switch us to the same ship/itinerary for next year, but the whole point of this cruise was to get on a ship this year.  It didn't hurt that she was visiting locations we've never been to before.  Bummer.

I think after four cancelations and especially after this last one, I'm burned out on Princess for now.  Going to look to Celebrity or maybe even Royal Caribbean instead.  If all else fails, maybe Carnival.

Cheers,

Paul

8 hours ago, Cruising Forever! said:

Well, this makes four Princess cruises canceled for us over the past year.  Of the first three, I can definitely agree that they needed to be canceled.  But Princess pulling the plug on this one, just as everything seemed to be falling into place with all the CDC vs the industry vs FL Gov dramas, just doesn't make sense.  I'm not sure what is behind this at all.

Princess offered to switch us to the same ship/itinerary for next year, but the whole point of this cruise was to get on a ship this year.  It didn't hurt that she was visiting locations we've never been to before.  Bummer.

I think after four cancelations and especially after this last one, I'm burned out on Princess for now.  Going to look to Celebrity or maybe even Royal Caribbean instead.  If all else fails, maybe Carnival.

Cheers,

Paul

Unless you plan on sailing from a different country the line you travel on won’t matter at this point at least for the next couple of months. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, FlaBubba said:

When was the notification of this cruise being canceled? We are booked on this one and have heard nothing.

It was released yesterday, All sailings on CB till August 21. 

I wonder if Princess Cruises are having difficulty getting vaccinated staff and getting them trained. Very few are from the US or similar countries. Lots of hoops to jump through to get crew/staff on board. 

Sounds about right. Minimum of 3 months to get started.

Got to clear the ports for the itinerary. Recruit the hotel crew. Get transit visa for them. Assemble the entire crew on the ship. Quarantine and vaccinate them. Train them for a covid environment, after a year's absence. Install covid medical apparatus and train medical personnel. 

Lot's of moving parts. There's also the delay required for test cruises if the ship is not on the 95/98 rule.

Interestingly, the domestic cruises out of UK are scheduled  to begin May (?). But, they are further along in covid control. See chart below.

There is also the complication of vax documents for the 95/98 cruises. In the UK, there are just 3 health authorities. Public Health England is in charge of all English counties. So, it would be easier to screen vaccination credentials. 

In contrast, there are 50 American states and numerous counties. Each would potentially issue a different vaccination document.

Ideally, vaccinated cruises should clear documentation by a central authority. Just as the TSA checks the No-Fly List.

I'm keen to travel and cruise. But, I'm not getting excited until everything is sorted out. Stay safe.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cruising Forever! said:

Cheers,

Paul

Won't matter with any of those lines. Try booking a cruise in Europe....

Princess put this out yesterday. The link is below. You can see the cancellations and possible replacements if you so chose.It will take them a while to e-mail everyone of their canceled cruises. It will not help to book on another cruise line, as it has to do with the destination countries, not the cruise line. Carnival announced cancellations before Princess.

In this last round, this was cancellation #8 for us.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/cancelled-cruises-2021-mx-westcoast-carib-med.pdf

I’ve had 4 cruises from Royal Caribbean cancelled.  The most recent was for a TA from Rome to Fort Lauderdale in October 2021. The ship was redeployed to Israel!  Also had a 2022 Celebrity Antarctica cruise cancelled and that ship redeployed to Florida. Now that cruise has been booked on a less desirable ship.  All the cruise lines are fiddling around with schedules and ships so it might be best to not make declarative statements based on COVID-19 challenges.  

Paula

2 hours ago, RonPaula said:

I’ve had 4 cruises from Royal Caribbean cancelled.  The most recent was for a TA from Rome to Fort Lauderdale in October 2021. The ship was redeployed to Israel!  Also had a 2022 Celebrity Antarctica cruise cancelled and that ship redeployed to Florida. Now that cruise has been booked on a less desirable ship.  All the cruise lines are fiddling around with schedules and ships so it might be best to not make declarative statements based on COVID-19 challenges.  

Paula

Unfortunately, this "fiddling" is due to countries and ports are not able to commit at this time.

I rebooked my 3 Enchanted Princess I had in 2020 in Med to September this year.  In February I had a feeling no cruise line would go this year, especially in Europe and called and cancelled,  Good move since I see it on this list!  I had option to move it to 2021 on Regal but I wanted the new ship since I had one of the new floor to ceiling ocean view rooms, plus port itinerary changed slightly.  They told me Enchanted would be in Carribean so I booked Dec 30 and was able to get the same cabin!  Still will be 50/50 chance it goes but hope springs eternal!

I also cancelled the Celebrity to Israel for October.  And with current situation, not sure when Israel will be safe regardless of Covid.  Praying for them.

We are doing a first time American Queen Steamboat from Memphis to New Orleans late July.  And now the river traffic is closed due to crack in the big bridge that crosses Mississippi.  Can’t catch a break!  Hope repairs can be done by then....

Doing a first time Dude Ranch in Grand Tetons late September...what could happen with that??

First rule for travellers is to be flexible - these past 15 months has really tested our resolve!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gardenbunny said:

I rebooked my 3 Enchanted Princess I had in 2020 in Med to September this year.  In February I had a feeling no cruise line would go this year, especially in Europe and called and cancelled,  Good move since I see it on this list!  I had option to move it to 2021 on Regal but I wanted the new ship since I had one of the new floor to ceiling ocean view rooms, plus port itinerary changed slightly.  They told me Enchanted would be in Carribean so I booked Dec 30 and was able to get the same cabin!  Still will be 50/50 chance it goes but hope springs eternal!

I also cancelled the Celebrity to Israel for October.  And with current situation, not sure when Israel will be safe regardless of Covid.  Praying for them.

We are doing a first time American Queen Steamboat from Memphis to New Orleans late July.  And now the river traffic is closed due to crack in the big bridge that crosses Mississippi.  Can’t catch a break!  Hope repairs can be done by then....

Doing a first time Dude Ranch in Grand Tetons late September...what could happen with that??

First rule for travellers is to be flexible - these past 15 months has really tested our resolve!!

OMG! You will LOVE the Grand Tetons! As you probably know, Yellowstone is a stone's throw away. I hope you will have lots of time for both. Gorgeous!

3 minutes ago, nini said:

OMG! You will LOVE the Grand Tetons! As you probably know, Yellowstone is a stone's throw away. I hope you will have lots of time for both. Gorgeous!

Absolutely.  We visited both for a week in September of 2006.  We loved it...so much so that I joined the Yellowstone Foundation and have donated monthly ever since.  So excited to be going back.