Restocking your cabin soft drink stash at ports of call?

Dakrew

On 5/13/2021 at 6:46 PM, Dakrew said:

Brother and I are booked for a 14 day cruise and we aren't heavy drinkers of the wobbly pop or umbrella drink varieties. A can or two per day pp = more than the initial embarkation allotment. 

14 days, I thought cruising was limited to 7-nights or less until we know better how the virus behaves with vaccinated people.   Maybe you're doing a B2B.   Or that rule changed already?  

Just curious.   And for your question, I would bring some pop on and see what happens. You've read the worse case already (confiscate/return).

• Thanks 1

Hi, the CDC ban on cruises longer than 7 days has an end date of Oct. 31, 2021. We are booked for a 14 day the end of Nov. 2021, panama canal out of NOLA which was a shift of our cancelled Nov 2020 cruise with the same itinerary.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I carried on two 12 packs of soda each on our two week B2B on Magic, had zero issues.  We also restock in ports and never have been stopped.  Worst case, they take a pack from you, but don’t think you’ll have an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, you absolutely can.

If you embark in San Juan, you can also take multiple bottles of wine on. This only applies to San Juan that I know of. 

Unfortunately, Carnival isn't sailing out of San Juan anymore, for now. Hopefully they put a ship back there. 

• Thanks 1

We have always purchased cans of soft drinks and packaged snacks for our stateroom at every port stop.  San Juan has a store in the terminal that sells soft drinks, vitamin water, water, and snacks.  When you get off the ship in St. Thomas, there is a drug store within the mall that is located next to the pier that is similar to a Walgreens or CVS.  We always stop here on our way back to the ship and pick up any essentials we need.

We have never been stopped by Security when getting back on board.  I believe their primary focus is on people bringing alcohol on board.   Also, when we sailed to Key West and were returning to the ship, two women in front of us had styrofoam containers of hot food and Security stopped them and advised them that they could not bring the food back on board.  They were upset and sat down on the pier and proceeded to eat all their food.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2021 at 5:48 AM, RWolver672 said:

The one thing we noticed though is that it tastes different because of the water they use to make it.  

Our Cokes are also made with Corn Syrup and pretty much the rest of the world uses Sugar. I prefer the Sugar made cokes to Corn Syrup. 

I'll just toss on here since there doesn't seem to be a firm answer as far as policy that I have seen people bring soda back on board from the port and it not be confiscated and it was canned. I don't think they'd be super concerned. That said, I think the "soda package" (it includes some other stuff) is around 5-6 dollars per day per person so like 40 dollars tops per person for a seven day cruise so it might be worth it to run the time versus cost numbers and see if that wouldn't be better overall. You'll save time running back and forth to your room and definitely save time in the ports of call which may or may not have six packs of soda within easy reach. I don't know but it seems like it could eat up port time making soda runs but I get economizing to allocate money on other things so there's that consideration too. 

On 5/15/2021 at 6:00 AM, young_ens said:

14 days, I thought cruising was limited to 7-nights or less until we know better how the virus behaves with vaccinated people.   Maybe you're doing a B2B.   Or that rule changed already?  

Just curious.   And for your question, I would bring some pop on and see what happens. You've read the worse case already (confiscate/return).

I am also booked on a 14 day on the Pride April 2022. 

2 hours ago, Jasonsterling said:

I'll just toss on here since there doesn't seem to be a firm answer as far as policy that I have seen people bring soda back on board from the port and it not be confiscated and it was canned. I don't think they'd be super concerned. That said, I think the "soda package" (it includes some other stuff) is around 5-6 dollars per day per person so like 40 dollars tops per person for a seven day cruise so it might be worth it to run the time versus cost numbers and see if that wouldn't be better overall. You'll save time running back and forth to your room and definitely save time in the ports of call which may or may not have six packs of soda within easy reach. I don't know but it seems like it could eat up port time making soda runs but I get economizing to allocate money on other things so there's that consideration too. 

My kids will only drink Coke. I always got them Bottomless Bubbles before that and never carried any drinks on. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jasonsterling said:

If you do the bottomless bubbles do you get can sodas or is it fountain drinks in a glass?

27 minutes ago, bamaone said:

If you do the bottomless bubbles do you get can sodas or is it fountain drinks in a glass?

My son always got them served in a glass but from a can as I recall. I honestly don't know that I ever paid attention though and it might vary ship to ship and place to place on the ship. and I've never done bubbles but cheers. My son got a lot of juice using it, like orange, cranberry stuff like that at the bars rather than soda. I'd count on a fountain serving though as that's common at some bars. 

On 5/14/2021 at 11:00 PM, mexicobob said:

Great post. Made my day. Maybe we are turning the corner. When posts return to the days of old and folks want to know how to sneak coke or booze onboard instead of wondering if and when cruises will begin again......there is hope.

I was just thinking the same thing.  

On 5/15/2021 at 2:48 AM, RWolver672 said:

We have bought pops/sodas at the ports on several cruises.  Nobody ever questioned it when we re-boarded  .The one thing we noticed though is that it tastes different because of the water they use to make it.  

If you bought it in Mexico it tastes different because it is sweetened with cane sugar, not corn syrup (used in the US).   

Edited by joeyancho

I get BB, But the Better Half, doesn't drink as much as me.. We usually bring the 24 cans on for her & then restock at least another 12 to 20 half way on our cruises. Usually at Noumea in the south Pacific as it has supermarkets to restock.

We have done this at least a dozen times.👍