First time Cheers package questions.

sassy~one

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

I have never purchased Cheers

And that's why you got the promo offer.

In a few months when the current promo expires, you won't likely see it again.  But maybe, just maybe, Carnival has convinced you the Cheers package is worth it even at full price.  And thus their promo worked!

• Like 1

Just now, ProgRockCruiser said:

In a few months when the current promo expires, you won't likely see it again.  But maybe, just maybe, Carnival has convinced you the Cheers package is worth it even at full price.  And thus their promo worked!

For a lot of people, that will probably be the case.  For us, it won't.  I bought it because it was only $140 for our entire cruise for two.  We usually get the soda package and have a few drinks throughout the cruise, along with purchasing bottled water for the room.  We will probably have a few more drinks this cruise, but not nearly enough to justify the full cost of Cheers.  Maybe they know that, so they figured they would break even on us.

On 5/18/2021 at 9:22 AM, sassy~one said:

Hi there, on my next sailing I have the cheers package.  Not much of a drinker, but I do have some questions.

Do I get a sticker or something?  Can I get a soda and a bottle of water at the same time?  Is the tip already included in the price of the cheers?

I also have never followed the 'bar open' info, so is there always a bar open?  Any input would be great, thanks. 

You might get a sticker but it is for show.  Your folio is coded with CHEERS.

On 5/19/2021 at 3:18 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

$2 bill tips go a LONG way with the bartenders. Because no one ever has them, they remember who tips them. They can remember the face very well that way. Or do like my dad did on every cruise. He found the 2-3 bartenders he liked the first day, handed them each $100 and they took care of him the rest of the week.

Crew do remember people who give them $2 bills but not in a good way.  Crew can't use $2 bills on most islands so they need to have them exchanged before they can use them.  They do remember people much better who tip large.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

But we can purchase it for just the 2 of us correct?!

No, if you have four to a cabin it won't work. It is strictly limited to two to a cabin. If you select four it will go away on the final offers. Change it to two and it will show up. I always found it strange but even with kids it won't work. You can certainly buy it but you'll have to pay full price as the promo won't apply. 

Edited by cruisingguy007

8 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

What bottled drinks are included? 
rockstars? San Pellegrino? 

Yes, I see Rockstars listed as the energy drink brand they carry. Sparkling Water on the menu without brand name.

On 5/18/2021 at 9:22 AM, sassy~one said:

Hi there, on my next sailing I have the cheers package.  Not much of a drinker, but I do have some questions.

Do I get a sticker or something?  Can I get a soda and a bottle of water at the same time?  Is the tip already included in the price of the cheers?

I also have never followed the 'bar open' info, so is there always a bar open?  Any input would be great, thanks. 

I've never had a problem ordering water and another drink at the same time with cheers. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

What bottled drinks are included? 
rockstars? San Pellegrino? 

They changed from San Pellegrino on some ships (could be all?). They also didn't have the large format versions on Panorama in the MDR on my last cruise. They use a different brand in smaller plastic bottles. I was sad to see this change.  

Edited by cruisingguy007

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Tonya1965 said:

If we purchase Cheers ahead of time, is it in effect as soon as we board the ship?  We are cruising from Seattle.  

Cruises out of Galveston are the only ones that start Cheers at 6:00am of the second day because of Texas laws.

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2021 at 6:33 PM, TNcruising02 said:

For a lot of people, that will probably be the case.  For us, it won't.  I bought it because it was only $140 for our entire cruise for two.  We usually get the soda package and have a few drinks throughout the cruise, along with purchasing bottled water for the room.  We will probably have a few more drinks this cruise, but not nearly enough to justify the full cost of Cheers.  Maybe they know that, so they figured they would break even on us.

This for us too!!  3 cruises booked with Cheers this year, never had it before in over 40

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2021 at 6:30 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

A lot of people got deep discounts on Cheers, and I think it isn't because it was the 1st time and they are trying to hook you, I think it was to sell cruises.  If you can get your drinks included at a deeply discounted price it encourages you to book the cruise.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mondello said:

Cruises out of Galveston are the only ones that start Cheers at 6:00am of the second day because of Texas laws.

From the Cheers! description on the Carnival website:

> Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas and New York home ports. Drinks purchased on the first day of the cruise will be charged to the guest's Sail & Sign® card in the usual manner. When purchased on the second day of the cruise, guests are charged for the remaining days only (cruise duration less one day)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jaydubya said:

> Due to state laws, we cannot sell CHEERS! until the second day of the cruise (starting at 6:00am) for voyages departing from our Texas and New York home ports. Drinks purchased on the first day of the cruise will be charged to the guest's Sail & Sign® card in the usual manner. When purchased on the second day of the cruise, guests are charged for the remaining days only (cruise duration less one day)

Actually I think they got tired of waiting for full bar to open in international waters.

If it's truly about texas law explain to me how rcl manages to do their drink package the first day. They probably eat the tax or something.  

There are a couple things like this where people just repeat it's because of Texas law ..which doesnt apply to international waters. I dont care, just saying it's not why they cant start day 1, it's why they choose not to start. 

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually I think they got tired of waiting for full bar to open in international waters.

If it's truly about texas law explain to me how rcl manages to do their drink package the first day. They probably eat the tax or something.  

There are a couple things like this where people just repeat it's because of Texas law ..which doesnt apply to international waters. I dont care, just saying it's not why they cant start day 1, it's why they choose not to start. 

Not saying I accept the official published position of any cruise line, but an explanation can be found here: https://www.cruzely.com/answered-first-day-drink-packages-and-alcohol-on-galveston-cruises/ . Not saying I agree with that either, just putting it out there for public consumption.

24 minutes ago, jaydubya said:

This always comes up about Galveston, don't even remember any mention about New York. Thanks for the reminder.

4 minutes ago, jaydubya said:

Not saying I accept the official published position of any cruise line, but an explanation can be found here: https://www.cruzely.com/answered-first-day-drink-packages-and-alcohol-on-galveston-cruises/ . Not saying I agree with that either, just putting it out there for public consumption.

I get it they have a explanation.

But they do sell drinks on day 1 out of Galveston that go on your sign and sail card. It's not logical the state law says they can sell some liquors, but they cant be part of your cheers. Its illogical. They do have to use texas liquors or some such that probably cost them more. It's about money lol. 

Good excuse. 

On 5/18/2021 at 4:59 PM, bamaone said:

Another question about cheers. With RU2, we’re told by our PVP that we can add cheers for $360 total ($180 each) to our 7 day cruise on the Madi Gras. It sounds like a great price. Anybody else look into this offer. This will be our first time getting it.

grab it....if they offer me that for our mardi gras sailing we will jump on it. it's around $52 a day per person if purchased before cruise

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

A lot of people got deep discounts on Cheers, and I think it isn't because it was the 1st time and they are trying to hook you, I think it was to sell cruises.  If you can get your drinks included at a deeply discounted price it encourages you to book the cruise.

BS on that.   It was pure target marketing.  If it was intended to sell additional berths, it would have been offered to everyone. The algorithm bestowed the RU 1-2-3 codes to a chosen few.

3 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

BS on that.   It was pure target marketing.  If it was intended to sell additional berths, it would have been offered to everyone. The algorithm bestowed the RU 1-2-3 codes to a chosen few.

I agree it was targeted, but I still say to sell rooms, not to hook you on buying it again next time.  Makes more sense to offer someone cheap booze you know will likely buy a $2000 cruise, then to simply offer and hope they will buy it again "next time."  That logic don't float because I, and I have read many others, who have said they ONLY bought it because it was so cheap.  Heck I could have had it on all 4 of our cruises but only did 3, because didn't want to spend the extra $250 for the 4th one for the 2 of us.

Of the 6 family members we have sailing for our October cruise, 4 were  offered it, 2 were not.  The two newbies were not, but the 4 of us that have cruised more had.  2 were gold, 1 was platinum, and 1 was diamond.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

TABC requires the cruise lines to purchase the liquor from a Texas distributor and also pay a liquor tax on it.  That is why you will see the regular bottles locked up and a few bottles out with the TABC stickers on them on the first day.  They pay more for the bottles plus the taxes.  RCL chooses to eat the extra cost and allows the drink package day one while CCL does not.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival follows the stupid TX law.  Royal just doesn't enter any of their drinks into the system until they reach international waters, thus bypassing the rule.  NCL does the exact same thing sailing out of NYC.