MSC Internet: Can you swap devices?

Disney Princess

On 5/19/2021 at 6:15 AM, pmd98052 said:

Its one device at a time on the lowest package. You can log off on that device and then use another device.

No

I just got off 4 days ago.  It locks your device for the whole cruise and I was not allowed to change devices. I was in YC as well.  What I did was hot spot.

Its locked so you don't get one package and share it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Robin.Henry said:

If three people are traveling together, and each have one phone, can we buy ONE 3 device package for the 3 phones?  

This is exactly what I am trying to figure out. The pricing says 3 devices but the cost says PER PERSON. Does that really mean PER CABIN?  That would be a huge cost of it each person had to buy it at $184 each, haven't seen that on any other cruiselines. Does that mean that we can't each be on our devices at the same time if we buy this one package for the 3 of us?

It's per person. For what you want to do, they expect each person to buy a one-device package, which costs in total about 50% more than a single 3-device package for one person.

That said, you can totally just buy a 3-device package in one person's name and share it among 3 people. The only issue is that you will all have to be logged in with that person's identity in the MSC app in order to get on the internet. So that person has to be OK with everyone having access to their onboard account, chat messages sent through the app, etc. And whenever you want to check your own account or chats or reserve your own shows/restaurants with the app, you will have to log out and then log back in as yourself (and you will lose internet access until you log in as your cabinmate again).

Up to you to decide how much of a hassle that is, and if it's worth the savings.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

18 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

It's per person. For what you want to do, they expect each person to buy a one-device package, which costs in total about 50% more than a single 3-device package for one person.

That said, you can totally just buy a 3-device package in one person's name and share it among 3 people. The only issue is that you will all have to be logged in with that person's identity in the MSC app in order to get on the internet. So that person has to be OK with everyone having access to their onboard account, chat messages sent through the app, etc. And whenever you want to check your own account or chats or reserve your own shows/restaurants with the app, you will have to log out and then log back in as yourself (and you will lose internet access until you log in as your cabinmate again).

Up to you to decide how much of a hassle that is, and if it's worth the savings.

Thanks. Can we all be on our devices at the same time doing it this way?

• 6 months later...

I'm also trying to get an answer for the question

"If three people are traveling together, and each have one phone, can we buy ONE 3 device package from MSC for the 3 phones and each of us use that device at the same time?"

Trawling through various boards it is difficult to get a definitive answer, indeed the last two replies above this are:

"No, only one can be logged in at a time"

and the other is:  

"Yes, a multi-device package allows you to use all devices at the same time" 

Has anyone actually done what is proposed and what is the verdict?

• Thanks 1

Ask me in a couple of weeks - we're on Euribia, sailing 13 August, and I've bought the 4-devices pack against my own name rather than 4 1-device plans.  Soon find out how well that works for us...

• Like 1

With a multi-device plan all devices can be connected at the same time, but if sharing with other guests it just means that the person with the plan on their account is going to have to login on the other guests device for them.

Thanks maehara, let me know? Mark, thanks, does that mean I just give the other two users (wife and sister in law) my username and password for the internet package and they can log in each day and remain connected? So for instance, they go off to a dance class and I go off to a bar 😉, I can Whatsapp them to find out where they are later or vice versa, for example?  

19 minutes ago, odyssyus said:

A 'travel router' solves this problem.  

Explain how that would work on a ship that wifi locks to a particular device for the duration of the sailing?

They would need to lock onto the router I would assume but your distance is limited?

18 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Explain how that would work on a ship that wifi locks to a particular device for the duration of the sailing?

They would need to lock onto the router I would assume but your distance is limited?

The router is the one device that registers its ID for the sailing.  Everything else connects to the router.  Phones, tablets, streaming TV devices.

True, your distance is limited to the distance of the router signal.   If off-ship, you can use local wifi or cell service.  If on the ship, of course, you would need to be in your room.  There are ways to throw the router in a backpack and carry it around the ship with you (portable powerpack), however for my wife and I, we have never really needed to use our devices in other locations on board.

3 hours ago, Boqueron said:

Mark, thanks, does that mean I just give the other two users (wife and sister in law) my username and password for the internet package and they can log in each day and remain connected..

You will probably only need to log them in once at the start of the cruise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boqueron said:

"If three people are traveling together, and each have one phone, can we buy ONE 3 device package from MSC for the 3 phones and each of us use that device at the same time?"

Yes you can. On all past cruises with MSC, last being last September, purchase 2 devices on my account. I used one and DH used the other. They needed to log in with my user details.

15 hours ago, Boqueron said:

Thanks maehara, let me know? Mark, thanks, does that mean I just give the other two users (wife and sister in law) my username and password for the internet package and they can log in each day and remain connected? So for instance, they go off to a dance class and I go off to a bar 😉, I can Whatsapp them to find out where they are later or vice versa, for example?  

what kinds of phones do you guys have? Android, iphones, or a mixture? If all have iphones you can text each other with the ships free wifi. Doesn't work with Android.

3 hours ago, mailbroad said:

I was on the Meraviglia in May. I was able to use either my tablet or my phone with the one device package. I just logged our of one and on the other one.

That's how it works on other cruise lines, but I wonder how many people have bought the two device package needlessly to do just that 🤔

On 7/24/2023 at 10:28 PM, mailbroad said:

I was on the Meraviglia in May. I was able to use either my tablet or my phone with the one device package. I just logged our of one and on the other one.

Everything I have read about WiFi on MSC has talked about not being able to log out and switch devices, to the point of people going to the IT staff and asking them to do that and being told no.  Is WiFi working like all the other cruise lines do it with logging on and off as you have described only a Meraviglia thing?

On 7/24/2023 at 10:28 PM, mailbroad said:

Hello,

i just read one review on MSC but different ship that they were not able to swap between phone and tablet.. i guess i'll find out for myself)).  Do you have iOs or Android?  And do you know the price if to buy onboard? on their website it's around $96 per device for Browse package.  Thank you,

On Megeravilla I could not swap devices once the device was registered on my account. Had a phone and laptop and could not remove one to add a tablet. 

With the tablet, I had to sign into my wife's account with her credentials to register the tablet as she only had her phone and we had the Yacht Club two-device browse plan each.