MSC Internet: Can you swap devices?

Disney Princess

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered!

I've never cruised with MSC before.  Usually my husband and I share an internet package, logging in and out of our devices to let the other use the internet.

Is this possible with MSC?  Or do you have to select a certain device and then only use that for the internet?

I can't find out much information on the website.

Thanks for the information.  

Yes it would be interesting to see how mobile reception works.  I know there are quite a few vloggers going on this Thursday: Emma Cruises, Cruise with Ben and David and Cruise Monkeys are ones I'm aware of.  I'll be watching their latest vlogs.

19 minutes ago, caffeine_demon said:

That's the opposite of what I was told in their email..

C'mon.   Think about it.

You're browsing on your phone.  Then you log out of their wi-fi, and use the same username and password to log in via your co-passenger's ipad.

Who's gonnna know?

Of course they're going to discourage it.  It's their job to sell more expensive packages if they can.  If they told you differently then all they did was omit the words "at a time."

50 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

C'mon.   Think about it.

You're browsing on your phone.  Then you log out of their wi-fi, and use the same username and password to log in via your co-passenger's ipad.

Who's gonnna know?

Of course they're going to discourage it.  It's their job to sell more expensive packages if they can.  If they told you differently then all they did was omit the words "at a time."

In theory they could lock that user name and password to the MAC address of the WiFi card in the device and not allow another device to be used at all with that user name/password but they don’t do that.

I've had the MSC internet packages over several years and they have always registered each device to your account.  In the past it was either a two device or four device limited data package, now its a per device package with unlimited data.  Regardless the packages are now sold per device and I'm sure you will have to register each one to your internet account.

Package cost varies by ship and length of cruise, below is for a seven day Seashore.

a.thumb.png.440923478d9838086373128db79cd8b7.png

ETA: What you can do is instead of buying a one device package for two people is buy a two device plan for one person, and so on for more people....  You just use the one person's internet ID for both/all devices, they have no idea who owns each device.  I've done this many times and there was no problem with using both devices at the same time.

Edited by Até
  • Thanks 2

If they do lock it to one device (i.e. register the MAC address of the device to your use name/pass so that only that single device can be used) then one of these fixes that:

GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango) Wireless Mini Portable VPN Travel Router, Mobile Hotspot in Pocket, WiFi Repeater Bridge, Range Extender, OpenVPN Client, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

You connect to the ship wifi via that (its MAC address gets registered) and then that device creates its own wifi network that as many devices as you want can then use the internet via it. (of course won't be that fast if multiple devices are sharing it and it means you're stuck being close to where that device is set up/powered)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pmd98052 said:

If they do lock it to one device (i.e. register the MAC address of the device to your use name/pass so that only that single device can be used) then one of these fixes that:

GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango) Wireless Mini Portable VPN Travel Router, Mobile Hotspot in Pocket, WiFi Repeater Bridge, Range Extender, OpenVPN Client, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

You connect to the ship wifi via that (its MAC address gets registered) and then that device creates its own wifi network that as many devices as you want can then use the internet via it. (of course won't be that fast if multiple devices are sharing it and it means you're stuck being close to where that device is set up/powered)

But it does mean no logging in or out per device.

Brilliant workaround!

13 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I haven't sailed MSC since Sept. 2019, but I bought the least expensive package and had no trouble switching between my iphone, ipad mini, and laptop.  EM

Might also depend on the ship and the plan.  I have had no switching devices, but I just hot spot my main phone and use my other devices on the hot spot.

I also have had the ability to change devices using a username and password. 

I don't remember exactly but I think the unlimited plan was locked to one device and the data usage plan was any device with username and password.

STeve

12 hours ago, pmd98052 said:

Would also be interesting to hear from those going on the cruise today if mobile reception is available on the ship from shore given its not going into international waters etc.

I've notice a few people asking this, you only need to be a few miles away to lose mobile reception and switch to the maritime network.

The WiFi service offered us good phone connection aboard ship without maritime charges.  It is a good value if you need phone service at sea.  Changing devices should not be a big problem, we had to visit customer service two or three times in a week to get our wifi to continue working, a bit glitchy, but still better than maritime cell phone charges.

I was unable to change devices, log out of my iPhone and re log into my iPad.  The wifi was only available on the device iPhone  I used to register. I was able to use my iPhone as a Hotspot for the MSC wifi for use with my iPad.

Edited by LifeonMars
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2021 at 11:17 AM, pmd98052 said:

Would also be interesting to hear from those going on the cruise today if mobile reception is available on the ship from shore given its not going into international waters etc.

Definitely not. The ship crossed the Channel and spent a lot of time near Le Havre.  One man who didn’t turn off data roaming was hit with £40 bill from his phone provider. 
You lose signal shortly after leaving port. 

Edited by little britain

On 5/19/2021 at 11:17 AM, pmd98052 said:

I’m on today’s sailing. Left Southampton at 19:00hrs, it’s now midnight and I’m still picking up a signal from EE. I’m using my phone as a hotspot to enable me to use the internet on my iPad.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 12:04 AM, CaroleC said:

I’m on today’s sailing. Left Southampton at 19:00hrs, it’s now midnight and I’m still picking up a signal from EE. I’m using my phone as a hotspot to enable me to use the internet on my iPad.

Excellent as I'm bringing my Mifi hotspot with me as well just in case....

32 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

It  obviously will depend on the area you are cruising ,on 1st sailing for the storm  we left Southampton and sheltered near Le Harve and on the 2nd it looks like you are just cruising the South Coast.

Edited by LifeonMars

5 hours ago, pmd98052 said:

This is our third day on board. EE signal was a bit spotty for about an hour last night but apart from that it’s been fine. I’ve had no trouble using my iPhone as a hotspot for my iPad.

• 1 year later...