When to Cancel?

john2003

We are booked from Sydney to Auckland in February 2022. From everything I can see from the Australian Government, this cruise isn't going to happen. At least not for international visitors.

My question is, should I cancel now and make other plans, or leave the booking and see what happens.

Thoughts?

It depends on your level of comfort. I had a Norway cruise booked for this July. I was hoping it was going to go, but was prepared for it to be cancelled. Made final payment. And then HAL cancelled it. I moved it to next year (one of the options) and was able to keep pricing and perks. Should get back monies for air and shorex (HAL is still working on it). 

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 1

If you wait for the cruise line to cancel you will receive more rewarding options perhaps including price protection for the following year, an option to have a full refund or an option to carry forward with a FCC with a bonus amount.  I have had 4 cruises canceled and all canceled well before final payment day.  Be sure you are up to date on when your final payment date occurs

• Like 1

I'd wait for them to cancel it, I'm seeing some lucrative upgrades making me wish I'd waited instead of taking the refunds.

We've decided to only book cruises within our own country for the time being.

• Like 1

We are also booked - Auckland to Australia and back to Vancouver in April .  The problem is that Australia and NZ have a bubble, and there is travel between them, so cruises may very well go in that part of the world with just locals as passengers.  We may be out of luck as they are not allowing other nationalities in.   HAL will not need to cancel the cruises themselves, just announce that  "foreigners"  will not be able  to travel - or possibly by next year the two countries may allow other people in, but with testing and/or quarantines.

Fortunately our final payment date is December 30, so we can wait and see how things progress for a while.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We are also booked - Auckland to Australia and back to Vancouver in April .  The problem is that Australia and NZ have a bubble, and there is travel between them, so cruises may very well go in that part of the world with just locals as passengers.  We may be out of luck as they are not allowing other nationalities in.   HAL will not need to cancel the cruises themselves, just announce that  "foreigners"  will not be able  to travel - or possibly by next year the two countries may allow other people in, but with testing and/or quarantines.

Fortunately our final payment date is December 30, so we can wait and see how things progress for a while.

That's the sailing we were going to do without the NZ part of it, with 4 extra days to see Sydney we were pushing it at 30 days as it was, but now this itinerary is out 😭

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

That's the sailing we were going to do without the NZ part of it, with 4 extra days to see Sydney we were pushing it at 30 days as it was, but now this itinerary is out 😭

Your final payment date would be even later.   I think it is going to be worthwhile waiting until then to decide.   Who knows, they may get everyone vaccinated and decide to open up.   Still a long time to wait...

• Like 1

A word to the wise. The Final Payment Date, which many use, is not the same as the Cancellation Date. Most cruises they are the same - but there are some that the Cancellation Date is 120 days before! We made the mistake a few years ago but HAL allowed us to roll the deposit to a different cruise of equal value or more. The cancelled cruise was a Hawaii-Tahiti Verandah that we then booked a British Isles Vista Suite for. Ironically this was cancelled by HAL due to the pandemic.

I agree with @Heartgroveuse the penalty date as your decision date.  This decision is tough in a covid world.  I honestly thought I’d be cancelling our November cruise.  After last week I’m optimistic that it will happen and even booked air and hotel.  Point being things are changing rapidly in the states and may elsewhere as vaccination rollout continues.  

17 hours ago, john2003 said:

should I cancel now and make other plans, or leave the booking and see what happens.

Can't you do both?  Personally I would leave the cruise as is and simply make plans for an alternative.

If this is accomplished, and you do have to make alternative plans they would already be set, saving time and money. If the cruise sets sail , then you file away the plans you had on hold.

Edited by rucrazy

rucrazy, yes I can do both but if another cruise I will have to pay another deposit. They have 4 from me already! 

It is air that gets trickier as it costs to get flexibility. I am already in a bit of a bind with Jetstar as they have my money and aren't going to be helpful until the Australian government makes the situation concrete. This will be a long wait.