How to obtain required PCR test prior to boarding

Our June 2021 cruise was cancelled but we are traveling as a land based vacation. We are rescheduled for a cruise in 2022.  While a year away, and many changes may occur, how would you complete the required PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding if you have a precruise stay?  Even without a precruise stay the 72 hours is tight.  Coming from the east coast the latest I could leave NY is about 3:00 pm the day prior to the cruise.  This means that I would have already used up 24 hours (actually 3o when adding in the time change) of the 72 hour window by the time I board.  Realistically I don’t see how I could get tested close enough to my departure to meet the 72 hour window. 

if I have a precruise stay I’m not sure where a PCR test could be completed easily.  

This may very well morph over the coming months but currently for those doing a pre-stay you can get tested at:

https://www.ilm.pf/

However, for those on the outer islands that may be difficult and there appears to be a 36-48 hour time period before you get results. 

For those staying a night or two prior to boarding there is a timing problem  ... hopefully this will get resolved prior to the ship sailing in late August. Let's hope for the best, keep our fingers crossed, say a little prayer 🙂

We initially planned 4 nights at the Pearl on Tikehau and then the 6/16 10 night cruise followed by 4 nights at the Hilton Moorea. With the cruise cancelled we are doing 4 nights at the Pearl, 7 at Ninamu, 1 at the IC Tahiti and then 6 at the Hilton Moorea.  It has been too long since we have gotten away

We moved our cruise to June of 2022. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FlightMedic555 said:

We initially planned 4 nights at the Pearl on Tikehau and then the 6/16 10 night cruise followed by 4 nights at the Hilton Moorea. With the cruise cancelled we are doing 4 nights at the Pearl, 7 at Ninamu, 1 at the IC Tahiti and then 6 at the Hilton Moorea.  It has been too long since we have gotten away

We moved our cruise to June of 2022. 

Wow, Ninamu looks amazing. Hope it all works out.

We are scheduled on the Sept 25th Cooks/Society cruise. PGcruises can't tell me what the itinerary will be if the Cooks don't open to tourism by then, as I'm pretty certain they won't. We're flying Air France, which leaves Thursday night, arrives Fri morning. Staying at the IC Tahiti Friday night. We will need to get an RT-PCR test Tuesday for it to be within the 72 hour window for our flight, but that would put us at 90-94 hours away from embarkation. I called PGcruises yesterday, and was informed that test will not suffice for boarding and we will need a second RT-PCR test within 72 hours to embark. The only way this can be accomplished is to have a second RT-PCR test done late Wednesday here in the U.S. before we leave, so 2 different tests, a day apart, at $175 each, or $700 total for my wife and I. And pray we receive the test results via email before Saturday embarkation. Add in the antigen test when we arrive at PPT, the antigen test at 4 days after arrival and the antigen test before we leave the islands and fly home. So, 5 total tests coming and going, adding about $1000 to an already very expensive trip. All of this in addition to being vaccinated. Erring on the safe side is one thing, but PGcruises is making it incredibly inconvenient, for some impossible, and extremely expensive for their passengers with their onerous testing requirements. I hope we can make this work, but it will be our last cruise on the PG. 

You could go to LAX on Wednesday. Get tested and pay for the "Rush". Verify you will have the results within 24 hours. Stay over night around LAX if you don't live close. Results can be obtained within 24 hours. Your good to board AF on Thursday and to board the ship on Saturday. 

Reliant Urgent Care at Lax Airport Area, www.ReliantCOVIDtesting.com

This location is open 24/7 : Telephone 310-215-6000

5901 West Century Blvd

Los Angeles, Ca 90042

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Clearly not the fault of PG if the Cook Islands is closed.  What the issue I believe is would be the total lack of communication between PG and travelers.  Since the Cook Islands will not be open I would guarantee that they have an alternate itinerary set.  Why have they not shared this??  I would also guess that there is a tiny, tiny chance they could simply cancel the cruise (sorry for mentioning this).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FlightMedic555 said:

Clearly not the fault of PG if the Cook Islands is closed.  What the issue I believe is would be the total lack of communication between PG and travelers.  Since the Cook Islands will not be open I would guarantee that they have an alternate itinerary set.  Why have they not shared this??  I would also guess that there is a tiny, tiny chance they could simply cancel the cruise (sorry for mentioning this).

Any change in the itinerary wouldn't be made until just prior to sailing as things may be different and the Captain would likely make any last minute changes based on the current status of each individual island and the itinerary of other ships. 

Yes it is a bummer not knowing but I understand why.

On 6/3/2021 at 10:05 AM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

You could go to LAX on Wednesday. Get tested and pay for the "Rush". Verify you will have the results within 24 hours. Stay over night around LAX if you don't live close. Results can be obtained within 24 hours. Your good to board AF on Thursday and to board the ship on Saturday. 

After some diligent internet searching, I have found a couple of locations in San Diego who offer 24 hour results. So, we could have the tests done on Wednesday after noon local (3:00pm in PPT) and would be good for both flight and embarkation. PGCruises also sent me a link to a lab/location in PPT that states they are able to process RT-PCR tests same day for tests that are done before 2pm local time for app $175 U.S., although I would hate to have to rely on a company in PPT, and would feel much safer with results in hand before boarding our plane. I will post the link below, it starts out in French, but switches to English. You want to look for Paofai's Lab at the bottom of page 4. This may be the an option for someone flying from the East Coast. You are able to schedule online, and they are open M-F 6:30am-4pm and Sat 7am-11am. 

On 6/4/2021 at 6:57 AM, FlightMedic555 said:

I fully understand that PG has no influence on when the Cooks may open. As you stated, it's the lack of transparency with their passengers on what type of cruise they will have if the Cooks don't open. I would assume it would be an 11 day Society/Tuomotus cruise, similar to their Dec 4 sailing. I'd be happy with that, it's not knowing that causes the anxiety. There is already enough stress involved with this trip. I have to make my final payment 3 days prior to the August 28 cruise ever leaving the dock. A lot could go wrong on any of those first 3 cruises, hopefully the extreme safeguards PG is taking make for smooth sailing.

Link to 24 hour RT-PCR test site in PPT

https://en.calameo.com/read/003461503ff5f51c66dd4

FYI   ....

The March 2020 cruise that was cut short had a last minute itinerary change. It was to be a Cook Islands run but as the Cook's had close a few days prior we ended up with  ....

Raiatea, Huahine, Rangiroa, Fakrava, Sea Day  ... then the ship was called back to PPT. We were heading for Bora Bora when cancelled with Motu Mahana and Moorea closing out the schedule. 

Hardest day for the crew is Motu Mahana day ... the December 4, 2021 cruise has 2 days on Motu Mahana and it is an 11 night cruise. You. also get a full day on Rangiroa.

Hope you get to go to the Cooks but if you don't 2 days on Motu Mahana would be nice.

Thanks for the added covid info  .... hopefully come December there won't be as many hoops to jump though.

Yes, I was aware that the March 2020 Cooks cruise turned into a Society/Tuamotus cruise which ended up being cut short. That, plus the fact that they are offering the December 4th Society/Tuamotus as an 11 day gives me a certain amount of confidence they would change ours to an 11 day Society/Tuamotus if the Cooks aren't open by September. While I might be fine with the itinerary change, others may not, and I don't think PGCruises wants or needs anymore negative PR.

If PGCruises doesn't relax the 72 hour prior to embarkation RT-PCR requirement, the Paofai Lab might be a viable/only option for many. Also, PGCruises did tell me that if the "guaranteed" results from Paofai weren't received by embarkation, they would allow us to board, and we would be restricted to our cabins until the results were received.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2021 at 4:50 PM, MrRandal said:

After some diligent internet searching, I have found a couple of locations in San Diego who offer 24 hour results. So, we could have the tests done on Wednesday after noon local (3:00pm in PPT) and would be good for both flight and embarkation. 

After trying to coordinate all of this and put it on paper, I realized that PPT is 3 hours behind us, not 3 hours ahead of us. So, 72 hours after a test done at 3pm in San Diego on Wednesday would be noon on Saturday in PPT. I have now found a lab in San Diego that has a cut off time for next day results at 5pm, although I was assured they would stretch that out to 6pm with an appointment and a fee paid upfront. That would put us at exactly 72 hours prior to embarkation if we were first in line and they started embarkation on time. This would all be much simpler (and less expensive) if the Paul Gauguin would change their policy to an Antigen test 24 hours prior to embarkation like Tahiti has changed their policy to a 48 hour Antigen test in advance of your flight instead of an RT-PCR test 72 hours in advance. We can only hope, and wait.

On 7/15/2021 at 3:11 PM, MrRandal said:

After trying to coordinate all of this and put it on paper, I realized that PPT is 3 hours behind us, not 3 hours ahead of us. So, 72 hours after a test done at 3pm in San Diego on Wednesday would be noon on Saturday in PPT. I have now found a lab in San Diego that has a cut off time for next day results at 5pm, although I was assured they would stretch that out to 6pm with an appointment and a fee paid upfront. That would put us at exactly 72 hours prior to embarkation if we were first in line and they started embarkation on time. This would all be much simpler (and less expensive) if the Paul Gauguin would change their policy to an Antigen test 24 hours prior to embarkation like Tahiti has changed their policy to a 48 hour Antigen test in advance of your flight instead of an RT-PCR test 72 hours in advance. We can only hope, and wait.

We are struggling with exact same thing from Seattle in November..same timing as you with Air France flight… I had done the same math (and 3 hours issue 😁) and realized it was an incredibly tight window including if you go as late as possible at home what happens if you don’t get your test results back in time to board the plane? So this is actually good news working in our favor. I have just kind of accepted that we were going to get have to get another test done in Tahiti on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. It would be awesome if they would make that the lesser test also. Im trying not to over worry about it since it’s a few months out. I appreciate all of your research and information!!

1 hour ago, Shooz said:

We are struggling with exact same thing from Seattle in November..same timing as you with Air France flight… I had done the same math (and 3 hours issue 😁) and realized it was an incredibly tight window including if you go as late as possible at home what happens if you don’t get your test results back in time to board the plane? So this is actually good news working in our favor. I have just kind of accepted that we were going to get have to get another test done in Tahiti on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. It would be awesome if they would make that the lesser test also. Im trying not to over worry about it since it’s a few months out. I appreciate all of your research and information!!

I made an appointment for both my wife and myself at the lab in Papeete https://en.calameo.com/read/003461503ff5f51c66dd4 for 8am the morning (Friday) that we arrive. It looks to be a short taxi ride from the airport, and after getting our luggage, the airport Antigen test, getting through customs, the timing should be pretty good. You can book appointments online at no cost. The website is in French, so you'll need to have your browser translate if you don't speak the language. If we go this route, we would only need to get an Antigen test 48 hours before our flight, which would be pretty easy. This lab was recommended to us by Paul Gauguin, it seems to be well established, and I believe they have the ability to do the actual testing of the swabs on site. They promise the results the same day, so we will have them email the results to both us and the Intercontinental where we are spending the night. I would like to have a hard copy of the results, and I'm pretty certain the Intercontinental can print us a copy. Of course, who knows what September or November will bring? Hopefully testing requirements will ease a bit.

Edited by MrRandal
  • Like 1

We are on the 12/4 cruise and it would be fine all things considered but we have a 3 night pre that puts us outside the criteria.
We are hoping some of this loosens up a bit but at this point it seems we will have a logistical nightmare unless we cancel the pre and run with the cruise alone having had the test in the U.S. before getting on the plane.

18 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

We are on the 12/4 cruise and it would be fine all things considered but we have a 3 night pre that puts us outside the criteria.
We are hoping some of this loosens up a bit but at this point it seems we will have a logistical nightmare unless we cancel the pre and run with the cruise alone having had the test in the U.S. before getting on the plane.

Where are you spending your pre? There are labs in Papeete as well as Moorea that promise same day RT-PCR results. Even if you are staying on one of the outer islands, you could have your test taken the morning of embarkation, show proof of the test and the PG will allow you to board, and you would be confined to your cabin until you receive the test results.

5 hours ago, MrRandal said:

Where are you spending your pre? There are labs in Papeete as well as Moorea that promise same day RT-PCR results. Even if you are staying on one of the outer islands, you could have your test taken the morning of embarkation, show proof of the test and the PG will allow you to board, and you would be confined to your cabin until you receive the test results.

We're staying at the Hilton on Moorea for 3 nights as a pre through PG. 

We are also on the 12/4 cruise, staying 6 nights pre-cruise at IC Thalasso in Bora Bora.  Since we won't have our return to PPT flights from Bora Bora until the day we check out, I have no idea how much time we'll have between arriving in PPT and boarding PG.  At this point, we will have to find a testing site on Bora Bora.  What a nightmare this is.

I'm not aware of any testing site that can give you same day RT-PCR tests on Bora Bora. Someone else may be able to. However the lab in Papeete is open on Saturday and will get  results to you same day if you have your test before 2pm. You can embark at 3 with proof of the test being performed, and you would be confined to your cabin until your received the results, hopefully negative.

24 minutes ago, Shooz said:

Update on the PG website as of 7/29 - if I'm reading correctly you no longer need negative test to board IF vaccinated. Still need it to fly but that reduces the stress of the 72 hours for those of us coming in a day or two early.

https://www.pgcruises.com/travel-advisory

You are correct .... no PCR test to board the ship under the current protocols if your vaccinated.  No need for a PCR to board the plane either, a simple antigen test under the current protocols. I would check the web site daily ...

1 hour ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

You are correct .... no PCR test to board the ship under the current protocols if your vaccinated.  No need for a PCR to board the plane either, a simple antigen test under the current protocols. I would check the web site daily ...

That is a huge development, I was hoping they would listen to their passengers who almost all found this extremely cumbersome. I'm going to venture to guess more and more passengers are considering pushing fall 2021 cruises into 2022 due to all of the uncertainty right now, and P.G.'s testing requirements weren't working in their favor. The previous testing requirements were pretty tedious for anyone not arriving the day of departure. Even now, there are still 3 tests where you have to test negative before you are able to enjoy your cruise, pre departure, at Faaa airport upon landing, and four days after arrival. It's a bit of a high stakes gamble, even for those of us who are fully vaccinated and masked up.