Drink taxes while in ports while on POA

Gracelyn

The POS registers on the ship are programmed to charge Hawaiian state GET on all purchases until the ship is outside the 3 mile limit.  The bridge notifies the purser at that time, and GET is dropped from the sales.

• Like 1

GET is 4.5% everywhere in the state except Maui county, which is 4%.  And, since it is a business tax, it is not required to be broken out on a receipt as a separate "tax".

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

I was on the NCL Getaway, in the Haven Lounge waiting on lunch when we boarded.  We were at the Port of New Orleans.  They charged use taxes on our drinks.  No issue really, I fully understood the issue being at that port.  Not sure if that is the case when the ship is out of the first port.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I was on the NCL Getaway, in the Haven Lounge waiting on lunch when we boarded.  We were at the Port of New Orleans.  They charged use taxes on our drinks.  No issue really, I fully understood the issue being at that port.  Not sure if that is the case when the ship is out of the first port.  

Whenever the ship is within 3 miles of US shore, whatever state that is, will have jurisdiction, and the taxes will apply.

• Like 1