Covid test requirement required for returning to US from abroad

lhwaters

I am booked on a Greek Isle cruise on NCL out of Athens in October, but have some concerns about returning to the US. I saw an article from the CDC that airlines will require a negative Covid test no more than 3 days prior to returning to the US. I am flying into Athens 3 days prior to embarkation, but plan to head to the airport to fly home on debarkation day. Does anyone know if this is something I can get on the ship?  Thanks!

I spoke with NCL this morning and she told me that it was included and told me to go to:  www.NCL.com/sail-safe to see it addressed.  I checked and could not find anything about it prior to disembarkation, only prior to boarding.  I will check with my TA on Monday, but thought I might get some feedback on here.  

So, I think I have found the answer and maybe it will be helpful to others.  According to info I found on Athens International Airport's website:  

Is there a facility for diagnostic tests for SARS-COV-2 (Covid-19) at the airport premises? Can I take a diagnostic test at the airport premises?

Kindly be advised of the availability to perform diagnostic test for SARS-COV-2 (Covid-19) at  Athens airport,  at the specially configured testing point of Athens Medical Center, located on the Arrivals level, between exits 2 and 3. Both types of test can be performed, molecular based (PCR) or Rapid (Antigen) test.

The testing point operates daily on a 24-hour basis. You may proceed for testing without an appointment. Payment options available at the testing point include the use of POS machine accepting debit / credit card or cash.

Registration & payment procedure for the molecular based test can be also accomplished electronically through the platform  https://payments.iatriko.gr/. Details and important information are included in the section “Frequently Asked Questions” of the platform.

Test results for molecular (PCR) test will be delivered to you, by email, within approximately 24 hours. Response time varies according to sampling time or volume of tests.

Test results for rapid (Antigen) test are available 15-20 minutes after completion of sampling. For any further information, please contact Athens Medical Center representatives at airport@iatriko.gr.

Due to increased attendance, longer waiting times might be expected thus, passengers are kindly requested to timely attend the testing point at the airport for their molecular (PCR) or Rapid-antigen test. 

53 minutes ago, lhwaters said:

I am booked on a Greek Isle cruise on NCL out of Athens in October, but have some concerns about returning to the US. I saw an article from the CDC that airlines will require a negative Covid test no more than 3 days prior to returning to the US. I am flying into Athens 3 days prior to embarkation, but plan to head to the airport to fly home on debarkation day. Does anyone know if this is something I can get on the ship?  Thanks!

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/cruise-faq/will-you-offer-testing-onboard-meet-travel-requirements-guests-flying-back-countries-require-neg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RaftingJeremy said:

Not necessary if vaccinated 

Oh, you would think an Agency of 10,000 super duper sciency professionals would have by now realized getting the totally safe and effective vax would exempt you from this.

Nope.  Because God forbid 3 new covid cases arrive in the US from abroad.  Maybe that's the "impending doom" the Director was crying about a few weeks ago.

Face it folks, these people are have no clue what they're doing.  Just wait until the next scandal breaks and poof, there goes this requirement.  At this point, they're just protecting what few chips the have.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Oh, you would think an Agency of 10,000 super duper sciency professionals would have by now realized getting the totally safe and effective vax would exempt you from this.

Nope.  Because God forbid 3 new covid cases arrive in the US from abroad.  Maybe that's the "impending doom" the Director was crying about a few weeks ago.

Face it folks, these people are have no clue what they're doing.  Just wait until the next scandal breaks and poof, there goes this requirement.  At this point, they're just protecting what few chips the have.

What kinda nonsense are you rambling about here?

6 minutes ago, RaftingJeremy said:

The same kind of humor most people are enjoying at the CDC's expense.  You should either get out more or widen your media landscape.

Also pointing out that your statement is incorrect.  A neg test is still required for returning to the United States even for vax'd travellers.

I'm making fun of the absurdity that this is still the case.  Even the Bahamas & Guatemala are way ahead of the CDC on this.

So, let me ask you, what nonsense am I rambling on?  The correct information that the neg test is still required?  That their guidelines are wildly inconsistent?  That the CDC's headcount is ~10,000?  That the CDC is being drawn into the NIH/Fauci scandal?

Tell, what of this nonsense?  Be specific.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RaftingJeremy said:

LOL  ok back to topic.   Bird Provided helpful information. OP asked if the test can the test is a available on board.  

2 minutes ago, milolii said:

LOL  ok back to topic.   Bird Provided helpful information. OP asked if the test can the test is a available on board.  

Pretty much all of them are doing it.  Planning on taking the test at the earliest oppty on Adventure to reduce risk.

8 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Pretty much all of them are doing it.  Planning on taking the test at the earliest oppty on Adventure to reduce risk.

Can you imagine trying to test everyone on the ship? 2 weeks less a day to the first Adventure sailing. 

I hope this requirement for a negative test ends before the end of October when we will vacation in Mexico. Don't want to spend two weeks in a hotel room with food brought to us while we wait out a quarantine before flying home.

By then every American that wants to get vaccinated will have had more than enough time and I will not feel responsible  for those who get sick. 

We have had Covid and also been vaccinated so have done our part. At some point life must get back to normal for those of us that love cruising and international travel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Can you imagine trying to test everyone on the ship? 2 weeks less a day to the first Adventure sailing. 

I will be carefully observing the process.  If they do collection, I expect a 'stop by when you want' approach.

Since the CDC already allows self-tests, I wouldn't be surprised to see group sessions where a few dozen people are watched-ish taking the sample.

This requirement is definitely more theatrical in nature so do expect a bit of show.  They've been doing this in Singapore for a while so I hope they've learned how to do it somewhat well.

7 minutes ago, vpearlkc said:

By then every American that wants to get vaccinated will have had more than enough time and I will not feel responsible  for those who get sick. 

There's way more than enough vax and has been for some time.  Everyone is good to go right now.  Go forth and enjoy, no worries at all.

26 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Acutally, after thinking about it for 3 minutes...it's pretty easy.

Deliver the specimin kits to everyone's stateroom ahead of Day 5.  All pre-tagged.

Before Day 5, you choose a Virtual Queue time on Days 5/6 for collection.  Just like Hagrid's.

You walk in, self sample, drop it in the bucket and you're done.  The sample seems to take <15 seconds.  I've only seen videos, never been tested.

It'll be faster than check-in for an Oasis or Quantum class ship.

A CDC committee of 25 experts would take 6 weeks to come up with this plan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boatseller said:

There's way more than enough vax and has been for some time.  Everyone is good to go right now.  Go forth and enjoy, no worries at all.

After reading about the case of the fully vaccinated folks in the Yankee organization testing positive I just wish that the testing requirement would be dropped. It would ease my mind.

9 minutes ago, vpearlkc said:

After reading about the case of the fully vaccinated folks in the Yankee organization testing positive I just wish that the testing requirement would be dropped. It would ease my mind.

It's more than the Yankees.  But this is why I'm so critical of the CDC, they can't have it both ways.

Either the vax is safe and effective and means no more protocols at all.

-or-

Well...we're not sure...we have to think about it...we'll get back to you...we need more information...oops, did we forget about that one?...what will make us look good...will we get fired?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, boatseller said:

Acutally, after thinking about it for 3 minutes...it's pretty easy.

Deliver the specimin kits to everyone's stateroom ahead of Day 5.  All pre-tagged.

Before Day 5, you choose a Virtual Queue time on Days 5/6 for collection.  Just like Hagrid's.

You walk in, self sample, drop it in the bucket and you're done.  The sample seems to take <15 seconds.  I've only seen videos, never been tested.

It'll be faster than check-in for an Oasis or Quantum class ship.

A CDC committee of 25 experts would take 6 weeks to come up with this plan.

I realize this is all speculation at this point but whatever day they offer testing starts the clock ticking, you then have -3 days to get home. 
How many are getting right off a ship in Europe and heading home?🤔 Not me. 

On 5/30/2021 at 12:48 PM, boatseller said:

So,,, I have been tested 5 or 6 times for travel and medical procedures. And eventhough I have a reservation and they hand me a sticker for the test vile as I arrive, it has never been <15 seconds.