Bolt - how much $ to ride?

6 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Sorry, but the Tomahawk Pork Chop at 15 is a much better value, for me than the 38 you will pay at the Carnival steakhouse.  The problem I have with the Carnival steakhouse is the way the quality of the food as well as the choices have gone downhill over the years.  So, spending 15 at Cucina del Capitano and another 15 at Jiji's, means I am spending 30 bucks and enjoying 2 nights of specialty dining.  If you wish to drop 38 for 1 night at the steakhouse,  by all means enjoy it.  But, for me, the two nights at 30 bucks is a much better value.

Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated. I will go ahead and enjoy the Steakhouse steak that so many have raved about. I can't wait. I will have tomahawk pork chop on our cruise. Thank you for suggesting it.

On 5/31/2021 at 8:38 AM, phoneman69 said:

Why should they charge. Should be an attraction that draws you to the ship for sailing

Capacity, efficiency and throughput.

It needs to be popular to create enough of a demand but has to have a deterrent to actually accommodate the demand without creating a bottleneck.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Sorry, but the Tomahawk Pork Chop at 15 is a much better value, for me than the 38 you will pay at the Carnival steakhouse.  The problem I have with the Carnival steakhouse is the way the quality of the food as well as the choices have gone downhill over the years.  So, spending 15 at Cucina del Capitano and another 15 at Jiji's, means I am spending 30 bucks and enjoying 2 nights of specialty dining.  If you wish to drop 38 for 1 night at the steakhouse,  by all means enjoy it.  But, for me, the two nights at 30 bucks is a much better value.

If you find $38 per person expensive for a steakhouse, I’d be concerned about the food quality in the steakhouses you’re visiting on land. The price of $38 per person is significantly low for a decent dining experience.

Edited by xDisconnections

I agree $38.00 per person including the 18% and the gratuity and the first maybe the second night a free bottle of wine or 50% off of any wine of your choice. You just cannot beat that price. PLUS every steak we ever had has been superb. In addition, if you can eat everything they bring to your table. You are a big eater for sure. We book it on every Carnival cruise we go on. We have had steaks on other cruise lines. Princess, Royal, Celebrity. Not even close to Carnival.

13 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

The Tomahawk Pork Chop for 15.00 at Cucina del Capitano on the Horizon is a great entree and a better value than 38 at the Steakhouse, IMHO.   But many will gladly pay the 38,  just like many will pay the inflated prices for balconies.

Why limit yourself to either/or?  Do both/more and escape the MDR an extra day.  Or make it three and add another specialty restaurant.  I just try not to miss prime rib night in the MDR, even if I do have to dig up my fancy tux-and-bow-tie t-shirt.  😁 🏴‍☠️

11 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

If you find $38 per person expensive for a steakhouse, I’d be concerned about the food quality in the steakhouses you’re visiting on land. The price of $38 per person is significantly low for a decent dining experience.

I never said that the 38 that Carnival charges is too much.  I did however lament the quality and variety at the Steakhouse, which in my opinion has gone downhill over the years, while the price has also risen.  I think that the Cucina as well as Jiji's are a better value at 15 each.  The price of Teppanyaki is the same as can be had on land, so I will never go there on Carnival. 

42 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I agree $38.00 per person including the 18% and the gratuity and the first maybe the second night a free bottle of wine or 50% off of any wine of your choice. You just cannot beat that price. PLUS every steak we ever had has been superb. ...

I've had a couple ribeye steaks which were all but inedible - owing to gristle. Obviously just an unhappy cow... Though, after (an easy) 150 steakhouse meals, one is bound to encounter something less than perfect.

Tom

22 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Why limit yourself to either/or?  Do both/more and escape the MDR an extra day.  Or make it three and add another specialty restaurant.  I just try not to miss prime rib night in the MDR, even if I do have to dig up my fancy tux-and-bow-tie t-shirt.  😁 🏴‍☠️

I love me some MDR Prime Rib!  So much so, that I arranged to have it brought up to the steakhouse that night as my entree.  😄

I even bring my own horseradish, in case theirs (that week) is too tame!

IMG_20130329_184826-XL.jpg

Tom

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I never said that the 38 that Carnival charges is too much.  I did however lament the quality and variety at the Steakhouse, which in my opinion has gone downhill over the years, while the price has also risen.  I think that the Cucina as well as Jiji's are a better value at 15 each.  The price of Teppanyaki is the same as can be had on land, so I will never go there on Carnival. 

For our (hopefully) upcoming MG sailing I have 4 nights booked in the Steakhouse, 1 in Rudi's, and holding two nights open for JiJi's --- one of the best bangs for your buck onboard !!

15 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

For our (hopefully) upcoming MG sailing I have 4 nights booked in the Steakhouse, 1 in Rudi's, and holding two nights open for JiJi's --- one of the best bangs for your buck onboard !!

And will the 7th night be at Emeril'a Bistro or will you eat in the MDR on prime rib night?

31 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

And will the 7th night be at Emeril'a Bistro or will you eat in the MDR on prime rib night?

We have not "enjoyed" the MDR in several years. For Emeril's, we'll just have to enjoy that one at lunch one day (along with Big Chicken and Guy's BBQ). All that means... fewer Guy's burgers consumed over the course of the cruise!

Tom

4 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

We have not "enjoyed" the MDR in several years. For Emeril's, we'll just have to enjoy that one at lunch one day (along with Big Chicken and Guy's BBQ). All that means... fewer Guy's burgers consumed over the course of the cruise!

Tom

What percentage are you at that August 7 will be reality?

8 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

What percentage are you at that August 7 will be reality?

LOL 

(Putting on my Carnac the Magnificent hat): 66.66666%  (errr  2/3) - so much improved. And happy to see that it might involve vaccinated guests!

Tom

7 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

How on god's great blue ocean did tis thread on Bolt upcharges morph into one on Tomahawk pork chop vs Cowboy ribeye?

Seems a natural  evolution to me, lol  🙂

Ain't CC great? !

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 2