DeSantis nearing compromise on cruise vaccination requirements

43 minutes ago, basil's mom said:

You are absolutely right, no one is forced to cruise. If it bothers you that people might be on the cruise that are unvaccinated the solution is very simple. Don’t go on that cruise.

it was my understanding that vaccination was supposed to keep you from getting the COVID-19 virus. If you were vaccinated why are you worried about the people who are not vaccinated?

I have several health problems and was told not to get vaccinated by my doctor. Why should I be kept from an activity I enjoy, along with other people who choose not to be vaccinated, when those who believe in vaccinations are already protected?

No Doctor I know has ever once said not to get vaccinated, My dad has a multitude of health issues including Parkinson's and all of his Doctors highly encouraged getting said vaccine. 

If you want to cruise then get a vaccine, Others shouldn't be punsished because you chose not to get one and if a breakout occures on a Ship after all of this it will be a disaster.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

No Doctor I know has ever once said not to get vaccinated, My dad has a multitude of health issues including Parkinson's and all of his Doctors highly encouraged getting said vaccine. 

If you want to cruise then get a vaccine, Others shouldn't be punsished because you chose not to get one and if a breakout occures on a Ship after all of this it will be a disaster.  

How many doctors do you know.? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

it was my understanding that vaccination was supposed to keep you from getting the COVID-19 virus. If you were vaccinated why are you worried about the people who are not vaccinated?

You have been misinformed. A quick Google search will help you understand.

• Like 1

Here is a question about the Florida law that was passed. If a non-cruise company travel agent asked for proof of vaccination or if the cruise company asked the question through an out-of-state entity, would this circumvent the $5000 per passenger fine levied against the cruise company?

23 minutes ago, ouse456 said:

Here is a question about the Florida law that was passed. If a non-cruise company travel agent asked for proof of vaccination or if the cruise company asked the question through an out-of-state entity, would this circumvent the $5000 per passenger fine levied against the cruise company?

I imagine there are a number of ways around the "law", but no reason for cruise lines to tip off legislatures who might try to close any loop holes and prevent cruising from restarting.

47 minutes ago, ouse456 said:

Not sure how that would work for the many of us who book our cruises directly with Carnival.

1 hour ago, songbird1329 said:

I am sure the cruise lines are contemplating work arounds 

I agree.  A work around must be in the works. 

I was wondering if they request an online submission of copies of necessary travel docs, including vaccine documentation, before any boarding passes are supplied online??  Would online submission circumvent asking at the pier? and maybe allow Desantis to save face politically.  Win-win...for those vaccinated at least.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kbandwb said:

I agree.  A work around must be in the works. 

I was wondering if they request an online submission of copies of necessary travel docs, including vaccine documentation, before any boarding passes are supplied online??  Would online submission circumvent asking at the pier? and maybe allow Desantis to save face politically.  Win-win...for those vaccinated at least.  

Put online check in on a server outside of the US? Don't laugh. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It's not the asking for vaccination status.  It's the denying service based on vaccination status.

So if they are denying service online versus on Florida soil per se, how does that work?

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Put online check in on a server outside of the US? Don't laugh. 

what do you do with all of the people who didn’t do online check-in and show up with a boarding pass and no vaccination card?

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

what do you do with all of the people who didn’t do online check-in and show up with a boarding pass and no vaccination card?

If they don't do online check in they don't get issued the online boarding pass. 

Check in first then get the boarding pass.... But agreed its a clunky work around for sure. What about those who just show up at the pier without any of it?   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Carnival could cancel them for not following the rules regardless of vaccination status. As priority was removed from luggage tags, and for that matter luggage tags, perhaps they will be issued at the dock  Embarkation is going to be slow anyway 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kbandwb said:

If they don't do online check in they don't get issued the online boarding pass. 

Check in first then get the boarding pass.... But agreed its a clunky work around for sure. What about those who just show up at the pier without any of it?   

People who can't follow simple instructions on land probably aren't going to change stripes at sea. But agreed the process needs work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival could cancel them for not following the rules regardless of vaccination status. As priority was removed from luggage tags, and for that matter luggage tags, perhaps they will be issued at the dock  Embarkation is going to be slow anyway 

That could be a lot of people. I can’t see them sending home everyone who doesn’t participate in online check-in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, songbird1329 said:

You misunderstood.

The vaccine isn’t designed to keep you from contracting the virus.  It’s designed to keep you out of the hospital, off a vent and out of the morgue,

Fully vaccinated people have been known to test positive for the virus and have been known to have mild symptoms if they have a breakthrough infection.

Per the CDC:

” COVID-19 vaccines teach our immune system‘s how to recognize and fight the virus that causes COVID-19. Sometimes this process can cause symptoms, such as fever. The symptoms are normal and I signs at the body is building protection against the virus that causes COVID-19.

it typically takes a few weeks for the body to build immunity (protection against the virus that causes COVID-19) after vaccination.”

if someone has had the virus their body develops natural immunity against the virus.  Therefore, if someone has had COVID-19 and decides not to get the vaccine what is the big deal?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Perhaps you don’t know my doctors. My internist has not gotten the vaccine and no one in his family has. Several of my friends have been told by their doctors not to get the vaccine. I know many doctors and other medical professionals  who are against the vaccine.

Getting the vaccine may have been the best thing for your father but it is not for everyone.  I am not willing to risk my life on a vaccine for a disease which has an over 99% recovery rate.  By the way, I am one of those who had the virus and recovered with no ill affects.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

That could be a lot of people. I can’t see them sending home everyone who doesn’t participate in online check-in. 

Carnival could call from an undisclosed location and get their information over the phone.

21 minutes ago, basil's mom said:

Perhaps you don’t know my doctors. My internist has not gotten the vaccine and no one in his family has. Several of my friends have been told by their doctors not to get the vaccine. I know many doctors and other medical professionals  who are against the vaccine.

Getting the vaccine may have been the best thing for your father but it is not for everyone.  I am not willing to risk my life on a vaccine for a disease which has an over 99% recovery rate.  By the way, I am one of those who had the virus and recovered with no ill affects.

Honestly, that terrifies me.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival could call from an undisclosed location and get their information over the phone.

Hahahahahaha! That right there is FUNNYYYY ! Thanks B.O.! I needed that! 

6 hours ago, basil's mom said:

You are absolutely right, no one is forced to cruise. If it bothers you that people might be on the cruise that are unvaccinated the solution is very simple. Don’t go on that cruise.

I have several health problems and was told not to get vaccinated by my doctor. Why should I be kept from an activity I enjoy, along with other people who choose not to be vaccinated, when those who believe in vaccinations are already protected?

I think the thing you are missing here is that unvaccinated passengers are a risk to each other, not the vaccinated.

If you have several health problems already that keep you from getting the shot(s), you should be especially concerned about unvaccinated people wherever you encounter them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1