DeSantis nearing compromise on cruise vaccination requirements

On 6/8/2021 at 5:10 PM, basil's mom said:

The CDC is not a government organization.  The CDC is quasi-government under the Department of Health and Human Services which has sources of funding that are predicated on the fact that it also has a private 501(c)3 public charity. The CDC Foundation receives charitable contributions and philanthropic grants from individuals, foundations, corporations, universities, NGOs and other organizations to advance the work of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  This is not a government funded organization.

I think there may be a little confusion here about what the CDC and the CDC Foundation are.

The CDC Foundation was created by Congress in 1992 as a 501(c)(3) public charity. Its board of directors was elected in 1994 and the foundation became active in 1995, after the executive director was named. It was created as an independent nonprofit foundation to mobilize philanthropic and private-sector resources to support the CDC’s critical health protection work; and has been reported to have raised over $1.2 billion to support CDC’s work over the past two decades.

However, the CDC itself is a U.S. federal (government) agency within the US Department of Health and Human Services. (HHS); and is funded through the regular congressional budgeting process; having a budget in excess of $11 billion in FY 2018.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Which is good news for cruising.  Unless someone goes from testing negative to needing hospitalization on a 7 day cruise, quarantining them will solve the problem.  

An advantage of having all passengers vaccinated.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/06/11/dr-scott-gottlieb-on-two-positive-covid-cases-on-royal-caribbean-cruise-ship.html?&qsearchterm=Dr. Gottlieb

4 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

A super spread would be a very elderly person with a severe case of covid, not a small child.  My young grandchildren have been going to preschool for this past year.  The only person who ever ended up with covid is one of their teachers.  None of the kids.

Anytime my grandkids have been near someone with covid, they were tested.  Always negative. 

I beg to differ.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/05/03/993141036/children-now-account-for-22-of-new-u-s-covid-cases-why-is-that

Edited by jerseygirl3

4 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

ya well, thats true. As it has been, low, these past 10000000000 years....

Maybe lock yourself into a sterile room of some kind, might be the best option for your personal health.

I’m a nurse. I’m exposed to Covid patients every time I’m at work.   I don’t want a vacation I paid thousands of dollars for that winds up with protocols for everyone because not all are vaccinated. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

I’m a nurse. I’m exposed to Covid patients every time I’m at work.   I don’t want a vacation I paid thousands of dollars for that winds up with protocols for everyone because not all are vaccinated. 

Thank you for putting yourself on the front lines for us!!!!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Obviously if adults are being vaccinated, a higher percentage of cases will be children.
It's not that they are super spreaders.  Many are going back to in person school and there's this from your link:

"Experts link the trend to several factors – particularly high vaccination rates among older Americans. The U.S. recently announced 100 million people were fully vaccinated against COVID-19. But other dynamics are also in play, from new COVID-19 variants to the loosening of restrictions on school activities."

Edited by TNcruising02

13 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Obviously if adults are being vaccinated, a higher percentage of cases will be children.
It's not that they are super spreaders.  Many are going back to in person school and there's this from your link:

"Experts link the trend to several factors – particularly high vaccination rates among older Americans. The U.S. recently announced 100 million people were fully vaccinated against COVID-19. But other dynamics are also in play, from new COVID-19 variants to the loosening of restrictions on school activities."

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210402/cases-in-children-helping-surge-of-covid-variants

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

And my nephew (aged15)  developed Covid a month before the vaccine was approved for his age group. His symptoms were flu-like and he recovered after about 2 weeks. When he returned to his pediatrician to be cleared to return to sports, he was found to have developed a cardiac arrythmia. From a bout with Covid. Now being treated by a cardiologist. 

I'm so sorry to hear that and wish him the best.  This is what so many people can't understand,  the risks are real, and the possible outcomes so bad that no one should have to take those risks just because some people want to throw a temper tantrum.  Because the Governments tells them to, they want to do the opposite. Like a bad tempered child. Ignore reality because of politics.   I  want to understand them, then I hear another story like this.  People owe each other better than this.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

It's definitely something for parents to keep any eye on, especially if their child has underlying health issues.

And other parents should be helping to prevent this from happening,  not being political.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

And other parents should be helping to prevent this from happening,  not being political.  

I don't think it's political.  Some people aren't eager to jump in and get their kids vaccinated with a new vaccine until there is enough time to see any potential issues.  As of now, healthy children are at low risk of getting sick from covid.  I imagine those parents who let their older kids get the vaccine and then they developed heart issues are having regrets.

It is possible that children will only need one dose.  It seems to be that second dose that creates problems.  Maybe one dose will give enough protection.  Anyway, each parent should decide for their children.  However, I don't know if I would be quick to take my unvaccinated kids on a cruise where they could pick up a covid variant at a port.  Then again, families have been going to amusement parks, flying,  and traveling for months.  I am not cruising with kids, so I am glad I don't have to make those decisions.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I don't think it's political.  Some people aren't eager to jump in and get their kids vaccinated with a new vaccine until there is enough time to see any potential issues.  As of now, healthy children are at low risk of getting sick from covid.  I imagine those parents who let their older kids get the vaccine and then they developed heart issues are having regrets.

It is possible that children will only need one dose.  It seems to be that second dose that creates problems.  Maybe one dose will give enough protection.  Anyway, each parent should decide for their children.  However, I don't know if I would be quick to take my unvaccinated kids on a cruise where they could pick up a covid variant at a port.  Then again, families have been going to amusement parks, flying,  and traveling for months.  I am not cruising with kids, so I am glad I don't have to make those decisions.

My point is that there are precautions that can be taken that in reality are very benign until the vaccine can be used.   But rather than err on the side of safety, parents are expressing their political views through their children, putting everyone at greater risk, no matter how small that risk is.  There is no current disease that is in any way a valid comparison to COVID.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lee Cruiser said:

As a minister, I know a lot of people right now who would disagree with you on that.

We can argue all we want.  The bottom line is that there are two opposit views of the same reality.  I have tried to look at it from the other side, and the science and actual facts, not feelings or politics, have reinforced my views.  So I am loosing the ability to ignore what I see to understand the other side.  But I'm sure they would say the same about my side.  So I have no idea how to resolve this.  

41 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

As a minister, I know a lot of people right now who would disagree with you on that.

Perhaps we are misunderstanding each other.  I am not saying that there are not things that cause serious injury or death to children at all.  What I mean is that when people compare the spread and unpredictable consequences of COVID to things like the flu, polio, etc.

1 hour ago, jerseygirl3 said:

He had no underlying issues. Perfectly healthy, athletic kid. 

I am sorry about his struggle with the disease. I know that must be very stressful as a parent. I hope his issues are able to be resolved and are just temporary.