Post cruise flight timing out of MIA

forgap

I searched this forum for the answer but I was unable to find the thread.  I remember reading that navigating from the cruise port to MIA can be daunting.  In your experience, what is the earliest we should book flights post cruise in MIA?  We don’t mind waiting at the airport, we do mind the anxiety of possibly missing our flight.  That being said, we don’t want to sit at the airport 5+ hours.  

thanks for your collective wisdom!  

2 hours ago, forgap said:

I searched this forum for the answer but I was unable to find the thread.  I remember reading that navigating from the cruise port to MIA can be daunting.  In your experience, what is the earliest we should book flights post cruise in MIA?  We don’t mind waiting at the airport, we do mind the anxiety of possibly missing our flight.  That being said, we don’t want to sit at the airport 5+ hours.  

thanks for your collective wisdom!  

We have had good and not so good experiences but always been at airport in time for early afternoon flights. Best experience was after a Mariner 2018 TA, when we walked off the ship at 8 am and found an immigration station for Global Entry. We were on our way to pick up a rental car in 10 minutes.

• Like 1

I could give you one "not so good"; one awful; and one good experience to describe our three occasions from 2015 to 2018 when disembarking at Miami.  Two of the above were detailed in earlier CC Threads, which are probably somewhere in the ether.  But, will not.  Suffice to say: 

Listed debarkation times assigned to you keyed to "color code" luggage tags--which, in-turn are keyed to when you advised Regent as to your plane's departure--don't mean much when the process comes to a halt while shore Port staff (NOT Regent employees) deal with the luggage.  The "all clear" to begin disembarking will not be given until the Port says so.  In one case, our "scheduled" exit time was 2 1/2 hours late.  This can become nerve wracking.  And, it does not matter if you scheduled a private car service; have a Regent transfer; or simply plan to get a taxi for that trip to the airport.  Hurry up--wait--then press forward (not recommended) toward the exit ramp.  

Bottom line(s): Recommend not scheduling a flight out of Miami International Airport before 1230H; nor one out of Ft. Lauderdale Airport before 1300H.  At-the earliest. 

We will follow our own advise this coming November when, hopefully, our Explorer TA cruise disembarks.  Regent is responsible for us getting to the Miami Airport in time to catch a 1250H flight.   

Safe travels--

GOARMY!

Dwtlion:  It can.  This was our experience when returning from a Navigator Amazon voyage a few years back.   Last stop was San Juan.  Able to walk off ship at the time assigned to us to an airconditioned Customs and Immigration set-up near the dock.  Quick check of our Passports, and such.  Then, back on the ship for lunch.  

Keep in mind:  This was before the last devastating hurricane hit.  Hopefully, that infrastructure has been reconstructed.  You should be able to verify this early Customs clearance process via your TA; or call Regent directly.  But, things can change.

Hopefully, clearing Customs at San Juan will mean one less hurdle at the Miami Port. 

GOARMY!

Just to clarify - even if you stop in San Juan, you will only go through immigration there. Customs will only be in the disembarkation port, i.e. Miami, because you have to have your luggage with you for Customs.

We have also experienced significant delays in Miami. One time it was Voyager’s first stop in the US for a couple of years, and all crew had to go through immigration. They would not let any passengers off until that was completed. The first passengers did not get off until 9:30, and a number missed their flights.

I agree with Noon, but it seems like most of my flights are 1:00 - 1:30

You have to consider if you have some helpers like TSA PREcheck and First Class or Priority check in that reduce waits. MIA can have some long security lines. 

I would guess I have gotten to the gate often by 10am with PRE and FC. I'm tempted by 11:30 but then recall that flight times change often. If that changes to 11am it can be a pain to rebook and get a pair of seats I want. Easier to reserve later from the start.

• Like 1

From everything I’m reading and hearing, airports will be understaffed this summer and beyond (can’t hire them back fast enough), so I would plan on longer lines everywhere, even if you have things like TSA PreCheck, Clear, or First Class check-in capabilities. Delta and American are asking senior staff to volunteer to help move things along at airports this summer, according to The Points Guy…

After a few near misses in Miami for cross country  flights to Arizona and being rushed we decided to spend the first night in an airport hotel and catch an early morning flight the next day. Considered it an extra vacation day. No rushes or stress. It worked out fine.

I agree with others: don't book before noon.  Under normal circumstances, Miami airport is packed, the check-in & TSA process is cumbersome and slow.  During morning rush hour, traffic to the airport can be heavy with delays.

As first class ticketed passengers with Pre-check and only carryon luggage, we had a 10:30 am flight.  8 am disembarkation, speeding taxi driver, no checked luggage...we barely made it.  Not worth the fretting and possibility of having to rebook a flight in that crowded airport.