Testing prior to cruising

Teampayne2

We're on the 31st of July cruise out of Southampton, myself and my husband have had both of our vaccinations but our 2 daughters won't have, I was advised on the phone to MSC yesterday that myself and DH won't need to take a test 72hrs before embarkation but our daughters will, the agent I spoke to said that a lateral flow will be fine as long as I have an email stating the results, can I ask those who have already cruised and/or those soon to cruise what did you do about organising your testing please, thanks

19 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Do you have to report for temp checks at breakfast and lunch?

Yes,just once a day. In YC they do it at the concierge desk whenever we pass for the first time in the morning. I think they do it in the buffet or MDR the first time you go each day.

2 hours ago, kernow said:

Currently onboard. We are vaccinated but yes, they accept the NHS self tests.

That's useful to know thanks and makes it simpler. Although, with the NHS home self tests, doesn't the e-mail from them just state the test result that you told them! That leaves it open to someone having a positive test but a lack of honesty, who then reports it as negative on the NHS website, and then receives a satisfactory negative test e-mail which passes muster to get on the ship.

16 minutes ago, colsky said:

That's useful to know thanks and makes it simpler. Although, with the NHS home self tests, doesn't the e-mail from them just state the test result that you told them! That leaves it open to someone having a positive test but a lack of honesty, who then reports it as negative on the NHS website, and then receives a satisfactory negative test e-mail which passes muster to get on the ship.

I agree and said this weeks ago, I know people argue you will be rechecked at port but the fact the 72 hour test can be falsified simply makes it pointless.

IMHO it should be a validated test or don't bother at all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dexddd said:

Do you have to report for temp checks at breakfast and lunch?

We haven’t been tested yet today (it’s 3pm) and I was surprised that there was no correlation between who you were and the temperature check : so they could track your temperature over the week 

3 hours ago, little britain said:

We haven’t been tested yet today (it’s 3pm) and I was surprised that there was no correlation between who you were and the temperature check : so they could track your temperature over the week 

So how do they know you have been tested each day?  I think breakfast was mentioned, but I often have room service breakfast.

2 minutes ago, little britain said:

No idea... now 20:15 and we haven’t been tested ! 

Enjoy your cruise. 

We have decided to go over to Liverpool tomorrow for lunch.  Seems numbers on the ferry are limited, so purely for booked tourists doing the round trip during the day so will go over by train.  Intend to come back across the river on the ferry though, so if you see two idiots waving to Virtuosos and her passengers on the commuter run after 5pm - it will be us 🙂

We need to wait until the 24th to get on board.

On 6/7/2021 at 8:26 PM, tring said:

Enjoy your cruise. 

We have decided to go over to Liverpool tomorrow for lunch.  Seems numbers on the ferry are limited, so purely for booked tourists doing the round trip during the day so will go over by train.  Intend to come back across the river on the ferry though, so if you see two idiots waving to Virtuosos and her passengers on the commuter run after 5pm - it will be us 🙂

We need to wait until the 24th to get on board.

Hi Tring.

I've  just seen you post about Liverpool. 

What are your thoughts about the Liverpool check in arrangements?

We're on 29th cruise, but don't fancy the trek over to the arena,  when the cruise terminal is a short walk from James St station.

We're also Wirral residents, therefore (free) public transport is a great option.

2 hours ago, Centurions said:

Hi Tring.

I've  just seen you post about Liverpool. 

What are your thoughts about the Liverpool check in arrangements?

We're on 29th cruise, but don't fancy the trek over to the arena,  when the cruise terminal is a short walk from James St station.

We're also Wirral residents, therefore (free) public transport is a great option.

Yes you will need  a taxi from James Street with luggage IMO.  The whole process looks very well organised. I have seen posts by someone who is on the staff being used at for there and he posted a picture.  It is being done in the vast, exhibition centre.  It is just next to the car park which is used for cruising, for other people the drop off is by the Pullman Hotel, which is above the part of the building used, so you can ask a taxi for there.  I understand there is a taxi rank at James Street, as well as at Lime Street of course.

Seems the testing and document check is done at the Exhibition Centre, then people are bussed to the terminal.  Hence arrival numbers, to that much smaller area, are controlled, so very safe.  We spoke to a member of the MSC staff at the Exhibition Centre entrance and asked about disembarkation, again luggage and passengers transported to the Exhibition Centre so luggage is well spaced out and transport easier.  She did say though if we do not put our baggage out the night before, we could do a self disembarkation with all our luggage and then just walk straight out of the cruise terminal which sounded a good option.  If they want us to do that at silly o'Clock though we will be going to the Exhibition Centre!  We do not live near a Wirral station, so may well get a taxi through anyway, usually only about £20 from West Wirral and takes 20 minutes.  There are road works along The Strand, so may well take a tad longer for us and anyone else arriving by road.

It must be costing a lot of cash to use the extra facility, but there was just not space otherwise, so they had no option.  The planned new terminal will be further out to the North of course, but not as far as the 1.3 miles at present.  I will not be holding my breath for that as it keeps getting put back and the old Princes landing stage structure looks as it has for years, though it seems there have been bedrock investigations (much is to be built out over the side of the river).  I wonder if this year may focus their minds about it though.....

The cruise terminal website is worth checking out, they say the system will be in place for all this year's cruises, so we will be back in Dec for a Fred Cruise.  This pandemic ain't going anywhere for a long time.

Edited by tring

40 minutes ago, tring said:

Yes you will need  a taxi from James Street with luggage IMO.  The whole process looks very well organised. I have seen posts by someone who is on the staff being used at for there and he posted a picture.  It is being done in the vast, exhibition centre.  It is just next to the car park which is used for cruising, for other people the drop off is by the Pullman Hotel, which is above the part of the building used, so you can ask a taxi for there.  I understand there is a taxi rank at James Street, as well as at Lime Street of course.

Seems the testing and document check is done at the Exhibition Centre, then people are bussed to the terminal.  Hence arrival numbers, to that much smaller area, are controlled, so very safe.  We spoke to a member of the MSC staff at the Exhibition Centre entrance and asked about disembarkation, again luggage and passengers transported to the Exhibition Centre so luggage is well spaced out and transport easier.  She did say though if we do not put our baggage out the night before, we could do a self disembarkation with all our luggage and then just walk straight out of the cruise terminal which sounded a good option.  If they want us to do that at silly o'Clock though we will be going to the Exhibition Centre!  We do not live near a Wirral station, so may well get a taxi through anyway, usually only about £20 from West Wirral and takes 20 minutes.  There are road works along The Strand, so may well take a tad longer for us and anyone else arriving by road.

It must be costing a lot of cash to use the extra facility, but there was just not space otherwise, so they had no option.  The planned new terminal will be further out to the North of course, but not as far as the 1.3 miles at present.  I will not be holding my breath for that as it keeps getting put back and the old Princes landing stage structure looks as it has for years, though it seems there have been bedrock investigations (much is to be built out over the side of the river).  I wonder if this year may focus their minds about it though.....

The cruise terminal website is worth checking out, they say the system will be in place for all this year's cruises, so we will be back in Dec for a Fred Cruise.  This pandemic ain't going anywhere for a long time.

Many thanks for the information.

I didn't find out about the Arena check in until Wednesday, so might have done a recce had I known earlier.

Particularly as I went over myself on Tuesday, and again before I found out about the Scotland ban. Just wondering if that will affect you/our cruise itinerary.

It looks like the  taxi from James St/Lime St would be the best option. We are cruising with a couple of friends from Heswall (we live in Meols) so we will liaise with them as to the best option for us all.

And thank you again for the helpful info.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Regards

1 hour ago, Centurions said:

Many thanks for the information.

I didn't find out about the Arena check in until Wednesday, so might have done a recce had I known earlier.

Particularly as I went over myself on Tuesday, and again before I found out about the Scotland ban. Just wondering if that will affect you/our cruise itinerary.

It looks like the  taxi from James St/Lime St would be the best option. We are cruising with a couple of friends from Heswall (we live in Meols) so we will liaise with them as to the best option for us all.

And thank you again for the helpful info.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Regards

I think the info about the change only came out just before the turn around earlier this week.  I did comment to the MSC lady we spoke to that it must have cost a LOT and they were likely negotiating until the last minute.  She was very much in agreement with that comment - I think she knew that was the case.  What I am thinking is what will happen next year if they still need the extra space?  The Arena complex will likely not be the white elephant it is at the moment by then, so could be in use and if not, the price could be a lot higher.

Our five days would have been a bit borderline.  For a shorter mini cruise we would have used public transport, though we are about half a mile from our nearest bus stop (Heswall bus station) and would then need to get a train/ferry over anyway or be dropped in Queens Square which is hardly convenient for the pier head, so not worth the hassle.  Perhaps three years since we last cruised from Liverpool, but the just under £20 should not be much more now, but will not make advance plans for disembarkation.  We have been known to just stroll over to the ferry and pick a taxi up form Woodside - even with the luggage we had for a longer Greenland cruise.  It meant we could just walk straight out of the chaos that arose when loads of people where milling around the small cruise terminal car park trying to find a taxi or someone who was pre-arranged to collect them. 

You are asked to arrive at a specifc time and keep to that for social distancing reasons, so you could be best just meeting your friends on the ship - you may have different times anyway and your journey from Meols may be a lot easier to time.  We have been given a set arrival time of 11am, though not got tickets yet, so I suppose it could change.

Enjoy your  cruise.

Edited by tring

5 hours ago, tring said:

You are asked to arrive at a specifc time and keep to that for social distancing reasons, so you could be best just meeting your friends on the ship - you may have different times anyway and your journey from Meols may be a lot easier to time.  We have been given a set arrival time of 11am, though not got tickets yet, so I suppose it could change.

Enjoy your  cruise.

Hi.

Both couples have an 11.00 Check in...Maybe everyone has the same time, I wonder how many people are embarking in Liverpool, and it looks like MSC may be bussing the Glasgow passengers in the following day ...so maybe a  night in Liverpool is on the cards... Although not quite what we expected...LOL

2 hours ago, Centurions said:

Hi.

Both couples have an 11.00 Check in...Maybe everyone has the same time, I wonder how many people are embarking in Liverpool, and it looks like MSC may be bussing the Glasgow passengers in the following day ...so maybe a  night in Liverpool is on the cards... Although not quite what we expected...LOL

It was said about 500 embarked in Southampton a week ago and 300 from Liverpool, so presumably about 200 were planned for Glasgow.  I expect some with Glasgow embarkations may prefer to cancel.  I think they are to be allowed more than 1,000 pax once the restrictions are lifted, so they may be overbooked for the next few if that is delayed unless some cancel.

If we all have 11.00am, perhaps the final times will be on the tickets as would be quite a coincidence otherwise.  We were told the arrivals are spread out and you need to stick to them, though the roadworks will be causing delays.  I will let you know what I can find out as we are on the 24th five nighter, so should get tickets before you.

As far as I can tell 11am is the default time for MSC, when e-tickets arrive the time will likely be different. Indeed I have had 5 different e-tickets so far and my current boarding time is 13:40!

• Like 1

We now have our e-ticket and need to arrive for check in between 11am and midday. 

I understand this week's call to Greenock was being replaced with Belfast.  Hence if they call at Belfast the day before our cruise, (instead of Greenock), they may be bussing people down from Greenock for afternoon embarkation in Liverpool on the same day as us.

6 hours ago, tring said:

I understand this week's call to Greenock was being replaced with Belfast.

I believe people onboard are reporting two days in Liverpool again, as they did last week.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I believe people onboard are reporting two days in Liverpool again, as they did last week.

37 minutes ago, sidari said:

Believe it leaves at 4.30pm tomorrow.

Thank you both for that.  I was going by something which I saw on Saturday.  We have been away since, so not kept in touch much at all since then.

Just now, tring said:

Thank you both for that.  I was going by something which I saw on Saturday.  We have been away since, so not kept in touch much at all since then.

No problem, they also reported they could do extra excursions on day two in Liverpool so I think it's pretty much confirmed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

No problem, they also reported they could do extra excursions on day two in Liverpool so I think it's pretty much confirmed.

Thanks.  Good to see extra business for my home city 🙂

• Like 1

Anyone heard what MSC have planned for cruises up to the 19th July regarding Greenock as it looks like the SG are following Bojo regarding restrictions. Do you think we will have 2 days in Liverpool then on to Belfast? Nothing has changed on the itinerary and still showing Greenock for 03/07.