Farewell to Tropicante. 😞

elektrawmn

Steve just posted this on their FB page.    Sad to see him go.  Hopefully the “new” Tropicante will be just as good!

Okay guys, it looks like the ships are gearing up and ready to return to cruising, and to Costa Maya. But as for Maggie and I, we will not be returning with them. We had some fun times, met lots of great people and have many wonderful memories we will cherish forever, but I guess all good things must come to an end. From our regular cruisers, to our crew family, as well as those we met only for a few hours, we want to thank you all for the fun times and the memories you left with us. We will be eternally thankful to you all. And most of all, special thanks to our wonderful staff who made us look good each day. Many came and went, but there was one constant from the very beginning and that was our Jorge, aka George. I told him waaaaaay back when he started, his number one job was to make sure every person left with a smile on their face, and in all those years, he never failed to do that. We love and will miss him the most, because he really is family. And one day soon, he is moving to the US too, and even though we know he has his own plans, we hope he will be close enough so we can pick up where we left off. 
And also Carolina, our manager, who took over the day to day running of the operation about half way along the journey, for allowing me to step away from the business and spend the last couple years of my Mom’s life getting caught up, after so many years that I was too busy to go home. When my Dad passed, Carolina saw how hard it was on me to not be there for my Mom and she told me, “go home. I can handle this” And she did, and Maggie and I will be forever grateful for that. She has worked through the entire pandemic with a small staff and doing just enough business to keep the lights on and everyone fed. I always said, she is the hardest working person in Costa Maya, and she still is. I have given her the name and business, and she will continue to run it from the same location until I can get the building sold. When that happens, her plan is to continue the Tropicante at a new location in Costa Maya, so she and the Tropicante, are not leaving. Her new Tropicante Facebook page will be up shortly, and will be posted here for you to bookmark and begin to communicate with her via that.
And as for us, 2 pandemics (swine flu in 09 and Covid in 20), total destruction in a cat 5 hurricane, a half dozen other direct hits by smaller ones, endless corruption, constant failure of water, electric and internet services, a Sargasso invasion that now lasts about 6 months a year, an attempted lynching for PWG (Profiting While Gringo), drug war violence and the endless harassment from other businesses, is enough for one lifetime. Probably two lifetimes to be honest. We’re just getting too old for all that and need an easier life. …

Edited by elektrawmn
Removed advertisement

Sad to see this happening.  I think the malecon will be totally different when ships return.  Steve being gone will be one of the differences.  But Carolina has done a great job and I hope she gets a great space.

• Like 1

So sad. Costa Maya was our favorite stop after discovering Steve and Tropicante. We had many good times there and getting to know Steve and Maggie. Wish them and George the best. They gave us many good memories through the years.

• Thanks 1

Visited your place twice and had a great time on both trips. Employees were very kind and didn't bother you at all. They were there if you wanted something, but not " in your face " all day. My wife looked forward to her massages when visiting. Thanks .

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, nolatravelgirl said:

My cruise isn't till December and it looks like this place is not going to be around. Are there other places similar that folks would recommend? 

Next door was the Tipsy Turtle (but avoid El Faro on the other side).  Along the malecon there's several spots to go and just as many to avoid.  Tropicante could well be back in business by December if all goes smoothly on the sale and Carolina finds a new home. The issue right now is a question of what's open.  Several places are closed and ships haven't started arriving yet (later this month perhaps).

I'll be there in 3 weeks and report back some that are open or closed. If Tropicante is closed my next choice would probably be the Krazy Lobster. 

I hope Fernando's store is still open so I can get some good special Tequila to bring home with me.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tallyho8 said:

I'll be there in 3 weeks and report back some that are open or closed. If Tropicante is closed my next choice would probably be the Krazy Lobster. 

I hope Fernando's store is still open so I can get some good special Tequila to bring home with me.

Waiting to here your report.  Forgot about Krazy Lobster. Hopefully they are still open.   Have a great cruise.  I would assume Fernando's store is still open as he catered to locals. Whether or not he'll have tequila is different question.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:05 PM, nolatravelgirl said:

My cruise isn't till December and it looks like this place is not going to be around. Are there other places similar that folks would recommend? 

We enjoyed Tropicante several times but the last couple of times pre-pandemic we went to Malecon21.

This was a new bar/club, at the time therefore good, clean facilities. It is towards the far end of the malecon (away from the port, a block or so from Tropicante) and is a quieter vibe than clubs in the middle but they can arrange fishing/snorkeling etc. There was a minimum pp charge (maybe $30?) if you want a lounger on the beach, credited towards food and drink, or no minimum if you eat and drink at the bar across the street. 

I was concerned, since it was new, it may not survive but it continues to get good reviews on TA from local visitors. I think the intention was to open hotel rooms above the bar but I don’t know if that has happened yet.

Edited by c-leg5

I'll be sad they are not there on our next cruise.  We met them several years ago on our first visit.  It's been quite awhile since we've been back.

I am happy for them though. Once of the positives out of Covid was giving some business owners a pause to really reflect and decide what they want out of life going forward.  I've had a few friends who were auto pilot for so many years, grinding day in and day out, and the original shut down + the slower pace after reopening allowed them time to decide they were ready to retire and allow a new generation to take the reins.  Best wishes to Steve and his family on the next chapter for them, and for Carolina and others as they take over.  

• Like 1

I know Jaime's Blue Reef is open.  We'll be in CM in early December.  If Carolina hasn't found a new home we'll probably go there, as he's an old friend from way back pre- Mahahual days.  But curious to see if the Malecon 21 is open and how it is fairing.  Also if MayaChan is coming back; seemed a bit iffy the last I heard.  As cruises start to head there in the next couple of weeks let's keep and eye out for what is open/ closed/changed.

• 2 months later...

We agree with The Krazy Lobster, they run a good and honest place.They had beers for $2.00. However we were greatly over charged next door at El Faro. $99.00 for a bucket of 5 beers , 3 margaritas and 1shot of tequila. We were shocked, but I was in vacation mode and just ordered without a menu. We paid , then as we were walking away I asked another waiter about the price of the beers. He told me $3.50, so I asked him why I was charger $8. It turns out he was the manager and called our waiter over and made him go into his pocket and give us back $20.00. 

.Here is a picture of El Faro, you would do best to avoid!

B002BB0A-2DB1-4124-956F-0E98A66BB4A7_4_5005_c.jpeg

4 hours ago, jimdalva said:

We agree with The Krazy Lobster, they run a good and honest place.They had beers for $2.00. However we were greatly over charged next door at El Faro. $99.00 for a bucket of 5 beers , 3 margaritas and 1shot of tequila. We were shocked, but I was in vacation mode and just ordered without a menu. We paid , then as we were walking away I asked another waiter about the price of the beers. He told me $3.50, so I asked him why I was charger $8. It turns out he was the manager and called our waiter over and made him go into his pocket and give us back $20.00. 

.Here is a picture of El Faro, you would do best to avoid!

B002BB0A-2DB1-4124-956F-0E98A66BB4A7_4_5005_c.jpeg

You aren’t the first person to report over charging at El Faro but I just want to check if El Faro has moved during the shut down? They used to be next door to Tropicante and had a long running battle with them.

Tipsy Turtle was the other side of Tropicante. 

I know Tropicante has closed, or is under new management. We gave enjoyed Tropicante but were thinking of giving Krazy Lobster a try some time.

Edited Saturday at 04:55 PM by c-leg5

Edited by c-leg5

• 3 weeks later...

Just found out our Serenade of the Seas sailing is porting in Costa Maya instead of Cozumel in a few weeks. Just learning about Tropicante and so disappointed. Our favorite spot in the past. Steve the owner was the best! Ran a great business. He allowed us to mail him a check to cover more drinks when our cash was running low. Who else would do that? A gracious and trusting man. Glad to know to avoid  El Faro in seeking out another spot.

Edited by coaster

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

From reports above, give Krazy Lobster  a try.  Looks like they took over Tropicante 's spot.   Still search as to where Carolina and staff landed if starting a new spot.

This might be my time to go to Maya Chan. Read all the great reviews over the years. I emailed them to see if they have an opening and waiting to hear back. Do want to spend some time in Mahahaul. My favorite hat I bought from one of the vendors on the beach is starting to look a little ratty. Most were young adults and giving them the business over the fake Costa Maya area seems the right thing to do.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:05 PM, nolatravelgirl said:

If you haven't already made a decision, they are still around just with new owners. We are going in December and made a reservation with them. https://www.facebook.com/Tropicante-Beach-Break-102206962109162

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mommyof3sweetboys said:

If you haven't already made a decision, they are still around just with new owners. We are going in December and made a reservation with them. https://www.facebook.com/Tropicante-Beach-Break-102206962109162

Good to know.

There were rumors on here that Krazy Lobster had moved there but that doesn’t  appear to be the case from this post unless they are the new owners?

Re-reading above post #14, I wonder if poster just got names mixed up?

Edited by c-leg5

Tropicante sent me a menu after I requested one on Facebook messenger. $22 for the smallest ceviche with just shrimp . Seems very high to me. Will stick with all-inclusive at Jaime's for $52 pp.

Edited by coaster

16 hours ago, coaster said:

Tropicante sent me a menu after I requested one on Facebook messenger. $22 for the smallest ceviche with just shrimp . Seems very high to me. Will stick with all-inclusive at Jaime's for $52 pp.

Sure that's not in Mexican $?

And didn't realize Tropicante was back in business.  Will have to check out FB.