Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

I was supposed to be on this cruise. I was vaccinated in February. I tested positive the Saturday before the cruise. I had to cancel and I was completely asymptomatic. Even after the jabs, I never went out without a mask, so it certainly can happen.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, morfred said:

At 6:20 pm EST Reuters reports that two people sharing the same cabin have tested positive, are asymptomatic and are in isolation. 

Why were they tested if indeed asymptomatic?  Were they really vaccinated?  Both in the same cabin. Very suspicious indeed. Verify those vaccine cards Celebrity!

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This has been bugging me for a while.  If I test positive but am asymptomatic, would it not be more proper to label my condition SARS-CoV-2 positive rather than COVID positive?  Just like the millions who've been HIV positive, but not suffering from AIDS.  The D in COVID stands for disease.  If I'm not sick, yet positive, where's the disease?  Please don't flame me....just asking.

• Like 22

The "break through" infections will happen and we will see more and more of it as cruises increase.  It will be interesting how this is dealt with.  Even in the UK where they have such a high vaccination rate, the Delta variation is surging in areas, but some breakthroughs to vaccinated people are happening.    As long as we are fully vaccinated, the risk is much lower and the effect of having it is less.

This will be the new normal for the next couple of years.  We have to continue living, and I hope it does not shut down cruising(nor do I think it will).

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, marieps said:

This has been bugging me for a while.  If I test positive but am asymptomatic, would it not be more proper to label my condition SARS-CoV-2 positive rather than COVID positive?  Just like the millions who've been HIV positive, but not suffering from AIDS.  The D in COVID stands for disease.  If I'm not sick, yet positive, where's the disease?  Please don't flame me....just asking.

Definitely correct but most people don’t distinguish between the virus and the disease caused by it. 

• Like 5

Depending on the number of test cycles anyone can test positive. If they limit the cycles to 30 to 35 i’d Be more inclined to believe true Covid. Once 40 or over cycles positive rates are meaningless.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, marieps said:

You are absolutely correct, but that ship sailed long ago. It becomes a problem when someone (like vaccine developers) use the terms correctly. 

• Like 1

Out of 200 tests, two came back positive??  What is the expected rate of false positives?  

Please remember that all 600 guests have had two negative tests in the past week or so.  So false positives are a distinct possibility.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, danv3 said:

Definitely correct but most people don’t distinguish between the virus and the disease caused by it. 

I think that's a shame, and misleading.  CDC could correct it, but they promulgate it instead. JMHO.

Edited by marieps
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mike45LC said:

Out of 200 tests, two came back positive??  What is the expected rate of false positives?  

Please remember that all 600 guests have had two negative tests in the past week or so.  So false positives are a distinct possibility.

The two positives shared a cabin, the likelihood of a false positive in that case seems slim. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

You are absolutely correct, but that ship sailed long ago. It becomes a problem when someone (like vaccine developers) use the terms correctly. 

Thanks, Markeb.  Have you an insight as to whether the outcome of the Millie situation will effect the possible extension of the CSO framework?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

two false positives that just happen to be in the same cabin, rather unlikely.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, marieps said:

Exactly.   Not sure if it's exactly like hiv but the pcr test did at least until the spring ran 40 cycles now 30 I think.  Anyway those last 10 passes while show positive result, no actual.  I think that was part of the reason they lowered the number of cycles for the test. (I could be wrong on exact number of cycles but it's about that)

Edited by sept10dsm
add
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jerseyden said:

Depending on the number of test cycles anyone can test positive. If they limit the cycles to 30 to 35 i’d Be more inclined to believe true Covid. Once 40 or over cycles positive rates are meaningless.

There would be no reason for the cruise line to run an excessive number of cycles, unless they were out to sabotage their own business.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Should also be noted there’s bound to be a few bad apples every sailing using fraud vax cards

The likelihood of this wouldn't surprise me in the least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

I was supposed to be on this cruise. I was vaccinated in February. I tested positive the Saturday before the cruise. I had to cancel and I was completely asymptomatic. Even after the jabs, I never went out without a mask, so it certainly can happen.

Or it can be a false positive.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, marieps said:

Exactly. And also to apply the HIV-positive terminology to this, the viral load in these cases is typically incredibly small. That means these individuals are extremely unlikely to spread the disease.

I think also the problem is that people think of the vaccine as a shield. Think of a swimming pool -- the vaccine isn't a tarp that magically prevents things from falling into the pool. The vaccine is like the chlorine in the pool that neutralizes the things that do fall into the pool. If you're exposed to covid, it will enter your body and the vaccine (or really, your immune-system-primed-by-the-vaccine) will take care of it. But an extremely sensitive test taken during that short time will show a positive result, even though you probably aren't actually sick nor likely contagious.

Edited by klflote
  • Like 16

6 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

I thought about the false positive possibility after I cancelled and was well after a few days,but the local board of health sent me a court order to isolate at home.

Yea...there is no fooling around with testing...at least here in the US. Every time you have been tested as well as the results all go into a database.

14 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

I thought about the false positive possibility after I cancelled and was well after a few days,but the local board of health sent me a court order to isolate at home.

Did you experience mild symptoms? Glad you’re feeling better now and can schedule future cruises.

26 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Or it can be a false positive.

My vaxxed husband got a positive rapid test. Health dept. said to take another at a different location the next day, and if that was negative, a PCR. 

Three days and two negatives later, the positive was corrected to a negative. He has to travel for work, and a site in the UK was requiring the test. But they did a test on him themselves when he arrived, too - he was transparent the whole day- and it was also negative. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stinkyenglishteacher said:

My vaxxed husband got a positive rapid test. Health dept. said to take another at a different location the next day, and if that was negative, a PCR. 

Three days and two negatives later, the positive was corrected to a negative. He has to travel for work, and a site in the UK was requiring the test. But they did a test on him themselves when he arrived, too - he was transparent the whole day- and it was also negative. 

I don’t trust the rapid tests. Seems like too many issues with false positives.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, cruisingator2 said:

I don’t trust the rapid tests. Seems like too many issues with false positives.

My daughter had a false negative with the rapid test. 2 days later when she lost her taste and smell she went for the PCR test. Positive, of course. I do not trust the rapid tests either.