Anyone book with the BOGO air fare?

Derbie

2 hours ago, ebuptegrove said:

My first CruiseCritic post!  I am [was] booked on the Encore Alaska cruise on Sep. 4.  I signed up for BOGO flights via NCL, but as of today (58 days out), I still haven't been told what the exact flights are. However, I saw that the trip home (to Newark) involved a stop in San Francisco. Even without having exact flight data, I knew I didn't want to go through SFO.  So I tried to cancel the flight via chat.  After much discussion, here's the information I got:  If I cancel the BOGO plan deal (even though nobody knows yet what flight I'd be on), I pay a 75% penalty.  If I cancel the entire cruise, I get 100% of the cost (including air fare) back in the form of a future cruise credit under their POM (Peace of Mind) plan.  So I cancelled the entire cruise and I plan to sign up again in 7-10 days after the future cruise credit is available.  The cruise fare seems to be cheaper now than when I originally booked, so I think that will make up for the additional money I'm spending on the plane trip.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?  Does  this make any sense?  Is it worth taking up with NCL?

Since you've already cancelled, there isn't much you can do - unless you want to call them and try to reinstate your cruise.  You still have the same FCC option and you can wait to see your actual flights, then cancel and rebook if necessary. The flight info you have may or may not be accurate - it's only a placeholder until tickets are actually issued.

For future reference, if prices go down prior to final payment you can just rebook - but you get the perks available at the time of rebooking.  After final payment, then there is a penalty for cancelling (as you were told) or you can get a one-time credit/upgrade if prices change. 

As to just cancelling the flight, it is possible that your tickets are/were being processed so they aren't going to let you cancel without penalty.  But I've cancelled/changed promo flights before - keep in mind that not all NCL reps have the same degree of knowledge so sometimes calling more than once will get you the desired results.  I've gone through this when I wanted to use different airports - first rep will tell me I can't do that, next one takes care of it no problem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

You might have made more of a mess than you bargained for!  See below...

image.png.49ee7e1cdbe8332e818157c21bf36707.png

Thank you for finding this statement!  This time I saved the transcript of the chat, so I have a record of the fact that she told me that I would be able to re-book the same cruise.  But I suppose that does not commit NCL to honoring that statement.  (Does it?)  On the other hand, I am not wedded to that particular cruise.  I could always do Celebrity or Royal Caribbean or even a different NCL cruise.  And I have future cruise plans where I can use the FCC.

I still find this policy very strange -- a penalty for cancelling air transport (before they even schedule the flights) but no penalty for cancelling the entire cruise.  But I've learned my lesson -- because I really care about what flights I take, I should avoid those BOGO deals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ebuptegrove said:

Thank you for finding this statement!  This time I saved the transcript of the chat, so I have a record of the fact that she told me that I would be able to re-book the same cruise.  But I suppose that does not commit NCL to honoring that statement.  (Does it?)  On the other hand, I am not wedded to that particular cruise.  I could always do Celebrity or Royal Caribbean or even a different NCL cruise.  And I have future cruise plans where I can use the FCC.

I still find this policy very strange -- a penalty for cancelling air transport (before they even schedule the flights) but no penalty for cancelling the entire cruise.  But I've learned my lesson -- because I really care about what flights I take, I should avoid those BOGO deals.

I hope everything works out fine for you!

If NCL sticks by their FCC policy that I posted, be sure to use your issued FCC before the time limit expires.

Good luck with your journeys!

1 hour ago, agrimm01 said:

Does American Airlines get a lot of the overseas flights for these BOGO cruise flights?  If so, are the flights NCL gets for these overseas flights the Basic Economy fares?

They use whatever airline gives them the best deal.  I flew to NZ on American but United from Aus and to/from London.  And yes, they are basic economy but you can usually do some upgrades through the airline after your tickets are issued.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ebuptegrove said:

Thank you for finding this statement!  This time I saved the transcript of the chat, so I have a record of the fact that she told me that I would be able to re-book the same cruise.  But I suppose that does not commit NCL to honoring that statement.  (Does it?) 

Did they say you could rebook with FCC or just that you could rebook?

From what I know of NCL's policy regarding the airfare, they will notify you between 45-60 days prior to sailing with flight details. Given that, I wouldn't think of canceling the cruise based on not hearing from them outside of that time frame, or even within it. I'd give them until 44 days prior before I got concerned.

air and land add ons are also subject to cancellation fees

Cancellation Fee Schedule For Cruises DepartingON OR BEFORE DECEMBER 31, 2021

Days Prior to Departure Date Cruise/Cruisetour Cancellation Fee Air & Land Add-on Cancellation Fee 
The Haven Suites, Suites, Garden Villas and Holiday Sailings
61 days or more - prior to sailing 0% 0%
60 days or less 100% 100%
1-6 Day Sailings (Club Balcony Suites/Mini-Suites and Below)
60 - 31 days 75%* 75%
30 days or less 100% 100%
7 Days or More Sailings (Club Balcony Suites/Mini-Suites and Below)
60 - 31 days 75%* 75%
30 days or less 100% 100%
*Cancellation Fee for 3-8 Guests will also follow the schedule outlined above

3 hours ago, julig22 said:

Did they say you could rebook with FCC or just that you could rebook?

Here's the transcript:

Me:  ... would there be any restrictions on the use of the future cruise credit?  (e.g. could I just sign up again for the same cruise, sans airfare?)

NCL person:  If you rebook, the pricing and promotions for the cruise could have changed since you originally booked your reservation.

Interpret this as you will.

Others have pointed out that I could have waited until flight information was definite and then cancelled the entire cruise.  (And I could have tried another chat, because apparently the rules they follow depend on who you're speaking to.)  They're right of course.  My annoyance about the whole thing tipped me into immediate action.  But I don't regret it.  I have other options (e.g. Royal Caribbean).  And I've made my statement to NCL (which is: "This is a stupid rule").  

We are heading to Greece in August.  Any flights you see before they are ticketed/emailed to you are just place holders, and they change often.  Originally in our NCL account they had us going through places like Zurich and Munich.  When it was finally ticketed it was totally different--way there is direct from Chicago to Athens.  Way home goes from Athens through London to Chicago.  

Be wary of the flights.  Maybe request with your agent at time of purchase a more direct flight, flights on only one airline each way,  or avoiding smaller airlines.  My flights are on American and British Airways.  We have a group of 17.  Most flights are good (United, American, Canada Air, British Airways), but some are on Iberia which doesn't have the best reviews/record  (google them 🥺) and switching ticketing from different airlines.  The flights are ticketed by multiple airlines.  Seats are not selected for you.  You will need to log into each airline using the ticket/locator number to select seats.  The airlines we were booked on didn't charge us to choose, but some airlines (Iberia) charge you if you want to select a seat before the check in date.

The NCL air group isn't terribly helpful and it's nearly impossible to get an Iberia airlines English speaking customer service rep. I think it would be ok if it weren't for the Iberia flight.

Edited by Sailing Smooth

My cruise from Athens is in under 30 days. My return flight (on British Airways) has been cancelled and we have yet to be booked on another flight. I called NCL a few days ago and they said they're working on rebooking "hundreds" so it may take a few days... waiting anxiously.

5 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

My cruise from Athens is in under 30 days. My return flight (on British Airways) has been cancelled and we have yet to be booked on another flight. I called NCL a few days ago and they said they're working on rebooking "hundreds" so it may take a few days... waiting anxiously.

I called American Airlines last Friday because we were scheduled to fly to Italy next month, and although our TA booked the flights through American, they were being operated by British Airways. We had a layover at Heathrow which would have triggered a 5-day quarantine in Italy upon arrival. This was for a cruise, BTW, but not on NCL. I was told that our flight was cancelled, just like yours. Luckily I was able to get our outbound flight from DC to Italy changed so we connect in New York instead of London. It was a bit distressing to find our flight had been cancelled and no one had informed us, but to be fair, a lot of cancellations are happening and I assume the call centers are overwhelmed with calls from people like us needing to rebook.

I would have to say the BOGO airfare seems to be working out well for me. Our cost is only $999 total for two people for our Tampa to Athens flights for our cruise at the end of August. I received the flight confirmation numbers last night and was able to select my seats today and grab some premium economy as well. I priced the seats for our exact flights on Google flights and it would have cost us $4300 per person for these flights. I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have taken this cruise if we hadn’t gotten this airfare promo. Oh and our placeholders on our NCL booking had us making two stops on the way there but now we have only one stop each way, outbound on United and inbound on Delta. We also took advantage of the 2 day flight deviation on the front end and received a $25 credit and we saved $75 on the transfers. 

Just got my flight details from NCL for Sept 4th Encore

Leaving DFW Sept 4th at 7am, arriving in Seattle at 9:21, have booked NCL transfers to the port

Leaving SEA Sept 11 at 2pm, arrive DFW 7:55, also have NCL transfers to the port

Wish the flight times coming home were earlier, but no connections so I am happy. 

7 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Just got my flight details from NCL for Sept 4th Encore

Leaving DFW Sept 4th at 7am, arriving in Seattle at 9:21, have booked NCL transfers to the port

Leaving SEA Sept 11 at 2pm, arrive DFW 7:55, also have NCL transfers to the port

Wish the flight times coming home were earlier, but no connections so I am happy. 

Often there is a post-cruise airport excursion that gives you a tour of the city on the way to the airport.  Still a bus (might not be as crowded) but it kills time and your $50 excursion credit applies, so sometimes cheaper than the transfer.

• Like 1

Just now, julig22 said:

Often there is a post-cruise airport excursion that gives you a tour of the city on the way to the airport.  Still a bus (might not be as crowded) but it kills time and your $50 excursion credit applies, so sometimes cheaper than the transfer.

Already past final payment so transfers are stuck...but I will look into the post cruise thing! 

1 minute ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Already past final payment so transfers are stuck...but I will look into the post cruise thing! 

You might want to verify that since it's an add-on, not a "ticketed" item.

• Like 1

My airfare has me stressed.  I have 2 connections each way. They booked it as 2 separate tickets 2 airlines each way. That a total of 4 airline websites to log into and mange 6 flights. Plus if I want seats I have to pay on 4 out of 6 flights. Iberia customer service doesn't exist. Ncl doesn't want to help. I have been literally trying for weeks. I get a different story each time I call. Iberia flights I can't bring up on their website so I am not sure to monitor for changes. Latest reason I got was Iberia website can't handle multiple airlines tickets.  I was just wondering if they actually see us as human would they seriously expect a family member to do this?

The Price is great but you get what they give you with no consideration