Reykjavik layover

jim80134

23 hours ago, hallasm said:

Just forgot to mention. If you have som additional days you should consider a stopover in Reykjavik- - add a stopover in Iceland to your journey, at no additional airfare.

I have added some additional days in Iceland several times - many options. 

I'd suggest a stopover of at least two days as well.  One day for Reykjavik and one day for a tour into the countryside.  

Even if you don't do that, during the time between your flights, maybe you will find a shop in the airport that sells Icelandic chocolate.  If you like chocolate, you will enjoy their chocolate!  

• Thanks 1

Interestingly enough, the airport is Keflavik...Reykjavik is a much smaller domestic airport closer in to the city. I think you might also be able to get to Greenland from the Reykjavik airport too. Not that it matters, just nerding it up here 🙂

KEF was, in the before (pre-Covid) times, way overcrowded. 1:30 is fine, but don't expect an entirely enjoyable 1:30 as there are often too many flights for the amount of space/number of seats during that morning rush. I'd expect it to start getting busy again as Europe starts to re-open to American tourists and vice versa. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Interestingly enough, the airport is Keflavik

Correct - the vast majority who mention flights to Reykjavik does mean Keflavik (KEF) - Reyjkavik Airport (RKV) is primarily domestic with few routes to Greenland.
And Keflavik airport can be very busy in the morning when all Flights from US are arriving at the same time followed by flight departures to many destinations in Europe - still 90 minutes will be fine.

Edited by hallasm

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

Correct - the vast majority who mention flights to Reykjavik does mean Keflavik (KEF) - Reyjkavik Airport (RKV) is primarily domestic with few routes to Greenland.
And Keflavik airport can be very busy in the morning when all Flights from US are arriving at the same time followed by flight departures to many destinations in Europe - still 90 minutes will be fine.

There are airports where I would, as an aviation geek, add extra time for a layover purely because of their comfort and ability to watch planes. Hong Kong and Singapore are two of those where 90 minutes wouldn't be enough because I would enjoy them. Keflavik is one where 90 minutes may be too much, because you'll probably be standing the whole time 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

90 minutes appears to be pretty standard with Icelandair.

If someone ever asks what block scheduling is, I give Icelandair as an example. Aircraft come in to Keflavik from North America in the morning and head to Continental Europe within two hours. Turn then around back to Keflavik, and within two hours they're heading back to North America. Rinse and repeat, day after day. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

If someone ever asks what block scheduling is, I give Icelandair as an example. Aircraft come in to Keflavik from North America in the morning and head to Continental Europe within two hours. Turn then around back to Keflavik, and within two hours they're heading back to North America. Rinse and repeat, day after day. 

With the departure times from NA and Europe being set based on ARRIVAL at Keflavik.  They all hit the gates in that same block window with folks doing a scramble weave to their next aircraft.  Ditto with the luggage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Aircraft come in to Keflavik from North America in the morning and head to Continental Europe within two hours. Turn then around back to Keflavik, and within two hours they're heading back to North America. Rinse and repeat, day after day. 

Extremely sufficient.

• 1 month later...

I love Icelandair.  However, I'm not fond of Keflavik airport.  Ramps are wheeled up to the plane and I find it difficult to walk down the stairs with a purse and a carry on.   Then you have to take a bus to the terminal.  Once inside it can be an absolute zoo.  Such a shame as the airport if actually lovely and has some good stores.  I also don't like having to do the same departing (taking a bus to the plane and walking up the stairs).  However, Icelandair has good business class (Saga) prices and the service and food are wonderful.  

10 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I love Icelandair.  However, I'm not fond of Keflavik airport.  Ramps are wheeled up to the plane and I find it difficult to walk down the stairs with a purse and a carry on.   Then you have to take a bus to the terminal. 

Before you slam KEF, know that the remote pads are used for only a portion of the flights.  Most utilize the jet bridges that are part of the terminal.

So while you may have experienced remote gates, I would wager that most passengers would not encounter them.  And I'm curious...you mention both ramps and stairs -- which is it?